Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Obsidia
Quantum Creatrix

Name: Ziva

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R Special Edition

Tales of the First Thousand Miles

So on my way home from work today, I noticed that I've just passed my first thousand miles on my odometer So here's some observations from my first 1k!

Riding in general has become a pretty big deal for me. It's something I never thought I could do, not because of inability but because of a serious injury I sustained 9 years ago. I went from being unable to walk, drive or move much to riding a motorcycle and having an absolute blast with it!

In those thousand miles, I've ridden parts of I-205, part of I-84, ventured out to Beaverton via 26 West through the tunnel and sat in PDX gridlock. I've dealt with road raging cagers being crazy (there's something about high temperatures that seems to correlate with anger issues in drivers), pedestrians that aim for me (the MAX platforms are the worst for this), oblivious people just being stupid and of course trying to pay attention to every detail.

I've discovered that twisties are only frightening the first few times you go through them and that with time I will learn to lean more as I get more comfortable. Right now I have the mindset of if the bike is in my lane and I'm not crashing that I'm doing good. I know that I have to leave my ego checked in my garage and when I'm out riding that it doesn't matter if other riders pass me up. I'm there to ride my own ride and enjoy the freedom that riding gives me.

I've learned that riding with just a slight amount of fear helps me grow as a rider (my first trip down old highway 30 was slightly fear filled). That by overcoming my fear that I can reach new challenges and make it to places that I've only been to in my truck. I know that I will always be learning something new and that's a good thing.

I am thankful for the great instruction I received from both sets of instructors I had with Team Oregon and sometimes as I'm riding, I can still hear lingering echoes of advice shouted on the range. I'm thankful for those of you that have been patient with me as I ask silly questions or advice and I am very thankful that I have a spouse who doesn't think I'm crazy when I say I want to buy expensive gear to protect my hide.

I don't regret wearing all of my gear no matter how hot I get. Sure, sometimes it's not too comfy, but I am not partial to losing a pound or two of flesh or bone. So here's to another thousand miles before the weather changes and to meeting new friends and going on new adventures!

PS: I should have listened to my husband the first time and just bought matching gear to start with
Obsidia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

That is a great post, and very well said.
Riding will always be about learning, and bettering yourself as a rider.

Congrats on the first thousand, and cheers to the thousands more to come.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Congrats on the first thousand.

I wish you and your bike many valve adjustments and sets of tires!!!

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:11 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Rather cool seeing those four digits huh?

Good lessons to learn.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote