ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1
sirlayon
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Help identifying turn signal brand? Also, need help soldering.

Slid and crushed my front turn signals and now I'm trying to replace them.

I bought these, but when I took off the fairing I noticed these have three wires instead of the two wires that were soldered onto the old one.

NEW

OLD

These are the ones that I broke and I'd like some help on identifying the brand. Or is there any way I can connect the three wires to the two?

So yeah... anyone know what brand these are? A link to somewhere that sells them would be much appreciated.

That or is there a guide on how I can connect the new ones I bought?
sirlayon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

3 wires, my guess acts at both marker and blinker. red is hot, black is ground the other black is anything ground or something. Just hook up one and test. Hook up both black wires and test too.

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
sirlayon
ninjette.org newbie

Hook what to what? In the second picture the wires that hold the connector are the green and yellow. So... one black to green and red to yellow?

Do I need to solder the wires together for it to work or just have them touch to test it?
Also do I need to strip off those gold tips from the new signal to expose the wire?

Sorry for all the questions guys.

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

You don't need to solder them together to test. Touch them, twist them, to test.

When you figure out what's what, you can strip the connectors off the wire and solder them together.

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #5
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

These are those proton lights on ebay right? I bought one for my girlfriend's ninjette not too long ago.

Ground:
There are two lights in the same bulb that use a common ground wire. Take the light apart. Find the common wire that connects to both lights. If my memory is correct, I believe this was the black wire with white stripe. Take it apart and make sure. The wire should connect to the outer housing on the light bulb. Carefully put light back together. Connect this wire to the Black w/ Yellow stripe on the harness (the ground wire).

Power:
Now you have a choice of three options. Since you are soldering, you can either wire it so both of the filaments inside the bulb light up, or one, or the other. Both filaments are about the same brightness to me. If you wire both up, each individual filament will glow slightly dimmer, with the net light about the same as one individually to my eyes. I picked one.

Take the wire(s) you picked and solder to the green (or green w/ yellow stripe) wire. If you chose one, cut the other wire down very short, or tape it up and tuck it away. Tape up your solder points.

Test Operation. Don't forget to put the key to the on position.

Good Luck.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlayon View Post
Hook what to what? In the second picture the wires that hold the connector are the green and yellow. So... one black to green and red to yellow?

Do I need to solder the wires together for it to work or just have them touch to test it?
Also do I need to strip off those gold tips from the new signal to expose the wire?

Sorry for all the questions guys.
Soldering is probably unnecessary because I think the gold tips are for crimping. Strip the wire on the wire harness connection. Put that wire into the gold tip. crimp with either a crimping tool or with a pair of needle nose pliers. Be very careful not to over crimp if you use the pliers.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Gold tips look more like male butt connectors. Solder and heatshrink for a cleaner install. Electrical tape works if you don't have heat shrink.

Old August 7th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #8
sirlayon
ninjette.org newbie

This is the listing for the new lights.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370637106038...S:3160&vxp=mtr
Hopefully they're the ones you're talking about and I can follow your instructions.

Cuong-nutz do the wires need to touch or will wire to connector contact work?

Old August 7th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #9
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlayon View Post
This is the listing for the new lights.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370637106038...S:3160&vxp=mtr
Hopefully they're the ones you're talking about and I can follow your instructions.

Cuong-nutz do the wires need to touch or will wire to connector contact work?
Wire to connector will work. If your Chinese turn signals happen to come in wonky colors or your PO rewired the lights like mine did, you can test them by just wrapping the signal's wires around the motorcycles wires while you have your turn signal set to on.

They also make wire connectors for that type of head if you don't want to solder.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote