ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 12th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Ninjette + big puddle = (read on)

For some reason I felt like riding in the rain today. So I grabbed my gear, suited up and headed out to my college class downtown. Cruised down there in light stuff and was fine. I did notice that my shield was fogging up, so I noted that and decided that some anti-fog would be purchased tomorrow.

On the way home (which I just got home about 10 minutes ago), it was coming down quite hard. I could tell my cheap rain suit was leaking (a guy at the bike shop suggested a set of FroggToggs to use on the bike. He said they work as good as the more expensive stuff, but is a fraction of the cost. So I figured I'd listen to the guy and get it...read on). I didn't care, because I had more pressing issues at hand, mainly wet roads.

So I'm cruising down I-10, it just starts to unload on me. Cagers are all around slowing to 40mph. I could tell my shield was fogging up, but could see well enough (not risking getting pelted with drops flying my way at over 50mph in order to do a shield wipe). Needless to say as the ride went on my visibility gradually degraded due to fogging, mist from everyone's tires, and the rain. By the time I was coming up to the Mason exit, I was having trouble making out water on the road. About then I was cursing myself for not having anti-fog on hand (I have some in my scuba gear bag). The next thing I know, I feel the front end dive, and water start shooting up all around me. I was in a good 3-4 inches of water doing 55mph. LUCKY for me I had the bike upright, I didn't panic, and I held it steady through the water. My boots got soaked, water shot up inside my rain pants, but I kept on riding. About this time I inched up my shield, gave a quick wipe and continued to cruise home, with my heart racing.

I should have wiped my face shield earlier, heck I should have taken side roads or something. I am mad at myself for even putting myself in that situation. At least I've learned from that and will go and make sure I'm 100% prepared next time, and I have lived to write this.

So yes, a streetbike will make it through some good water, but I do not recommend it. Oh yeah, and anti-fog is ESSENTIAL riding gear.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

You can avoid the anti-fog business by scoring a Scorpion helmet - they have that stuff in built and its beautiful especially in the rain.

Good looking out though - glad you made it safe and sound.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #3
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
You got me all suspensed. Especially since I lowsided yesterday. But glad to hear you just kept on truckin' ;D

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARc View Post
Especially since I lowsided yesterday.
Splain, please!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #5
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
I will make another thread as to avoid thread-jacking a fellow forum member ;D

Old March 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #6
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

oooff, good things to know.

nb

Old March 13th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #7
BlueJeepYJ
Lets go ride!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 650

Yikes!!! Glad you made it home safe!

Jeff
BlueJeepYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #8
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I highly suggest the Frogg Toggs! I love my set and they fit perfectly over my leathers. I experienced rain once without them and was saved only by the fact that other people in my group had spare gear!

Side question... I have antifog for my scuba goggles too... Would that work on the visor of the helmet?

Old March 13th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #9
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Hey Mark, I made the same choice yesterday (minus the heavy downpour). I wanted to ride sooo badly yesterday, so I geared up and finally rode home (I've had my bike indoors at work since I bought it on Tuesday-never rode it home). My ride was pretty cold and a little wet, but no rain at all...

Glad you kept a cool head and made it out ok!

Old March 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #10
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
I highly suggest the Frogg Toggs! I love my set and they fit perfectly over my leathers. I experienced rain once without them and was saved only by the fact that other people in my group had spare gear!

Side question... I have antifog for my scuba goggles too... Would that work on the visor of the helmet?
I guess it is mixed reviews, because I really dislike the upper of the FroggToggs. It leaked in light and heavy rain right down the front zipper. I'm just lucky that my wallet and phone did not get wet. I think I may upgrade to a better rain jacket. The pants worked well until I ran into that puddle!

I will say one good thing about the FT's is that the jacket never leaked down my neck or around my arms. However, they are rather thick, so they take up more room than a typical rain suit.

As far as the anti-fog goes, I think it will work. Scuba goggles have plastic/lexan lenses, so it should work. I'm just going to hit up the dealer and get whatever is designed for the faceshields. The anti-fog for my scuba goggles require that I apply it and then rinse them after application, so I can't do that easily with my bike helmet.

Old March 13th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #11
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I suppose it is the type of Frogg Toggs you have. I don't remeber which ones I have but I can check when I go back to Storage. I do know that I can fit mine easily into a backpack and they don't take that much room.

Old March 13th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #12
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post

Sunny, The Scubapro anti-fog works for me. Wife and I both dive--but NOT in Maine.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #13
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I think my jacket was the wrong size, causing it not to fit quite right and leak. I may ditch them once I test out my new Touring Master rain gear set. If it works well, the FT's will be on the for sale section.

Old March 20th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #14
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpharoah View Post
You can avoid the anti-fog business by scoring a Scorpion helmet - they have that stuff in built and its beautiful especially in the rain.

Good looking out though - glad you made it safe and sound.
I have a scorpion helmet and I would swear by that thing. It rains pretty unexpectedly sometimes here and I've been caught more times than I would like in some serious downpour. One thing that always holds up is the anti fog on the scorpion faceshield. Even if I'm wearing the dark smoke FS I can see clearly with no fogging problems at all.

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote