ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Moo-wasaki
ninjette.org member

Name: Yes

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Looking for opinions...get a grip!

Not much luck with the search engine for grips.

I took the seat in Friday to an upholsterer. So, since I can't go out and ride in this beautiful mid 30's weather....I have the bike on the stand doing some work. Just replaced the front sprocket last night; we'll see how that works.

What I am looking for next are some new cushy gel grips. Any recommendations? Model #s or place to purchase?? I tend to lean forward on the heel of my hands and it gets uncomfortable.

How about bar ends? Any real need in replacing them? I already took them off and am heading for Lowes to get the Allen heads as replacements.

For anyone looking to remove bar ends easily.....I stuck a solder iron into the screw head for about 5 mins. I then put a #3 phillips head bit into a 1/4" socket. I used a breaker bar for leverage. Once it gets as warm as apple pie; the red loctite relinquishes it's tight bond. Eased both bar ends off very easily.

The solder iron was a tip I read somewhere. Wish I could take credit for it.
Moo-wasaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM   #2
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo-wasaki View Post
For anyone looking to remove bar ends easily.....I stuck a solder iron into the screw head for about 5 mins. I then put a #3 phillips head bit into a 1/4" socket. I used a breaker bar for leverage. Once it gets as warm as apple pie; the red loctite relinquishes it's tight bond. Eased both bar ends off very easily.

The solder iron was a tip I read somewhere. Wish I could take credit for it.
this and a impact driver with a#3 bit works great!

sorry, can't help wit the other stuff.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Somehow, I think my mechanic didn't know this, 'cause when my clutch cable busted and he fixed it, I got the bike back with an almost stripped bolt! I was thinking about bar ends too for this option. There are several different options on ebay, including some options (probably wouldn't work for the "cushy" side of things, as they're metal) that are both bar ends and grips. I'll post a couple links for each:

Bar ends:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...1%7C240%3A1318

Grips:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GEL-G...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...1%7C240%3A1318

Bar ends/grips combo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220300597557

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grip-...1%7C240%3A1318

Sorry Kelly and other green-lovers, couldn't find any bar ends in green on eBay. As to the functionality of any of these products, I have no idea whatsoever. Opinions and ideas for me too please!
Verus Cidere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Moo-wasaki
ninjette.org member

Back from Lowes and a no go on the M8 1.25 x 50mm hex replacements. They were not long enough or pan heads.

If I keep the bar ends...I need the open grips. The ones linked to looked to be closed ended. I'll admit, I bought some awhile back and just realized that they were closed ended.

I guess I could try cutting the ends out of them. Or try ebaying them and getting some open ended ones.

I would like tasseled bar ends like my sister had on her Huffy growing up.

Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:08 PM   #5
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

I found a great set of progrips gel grips that match my bike for around $6 including shipping on ebay. I believe they had an assortment of colors. Since I changed the grips, I noticed the increase in comfort right away and my hands dont feel like I've been curling dumbbells for hours after I ride. By far the best $6 I've ever spent.

Here is a link to a set of yellow grips from the same seller on ebay. The actual grips cost $1.99 but shipping is around $4. Just go to his store and you can find some grips to match your bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EF:MOTORS:1123

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:43 PM   #6
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the point of replacing bar-ends? I can't imagine much good could come out of adding spikes to the end of your handle... is it just a style thing?
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Moo-wasaki
ninjette.org member

Thanks....I just bought a pair from that seller in KKIM's great state of Hawaii. In Haiku, HI. So here is my Haiku:

I bought new Pro Grips
Like condoms on your handles
Their hard to get on

Pretty lame but there it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Player View Post
I found a great set of progrips gel grips that match my bike for around $6 including shipping on ebay. I believe they had an assortment of colors. Since I changed the grips, I noticed the increase in comfort right away and my hands dont feel like I've been curling dumbbells for hours after I ride. By far the best $6 I've ever spent.

Here is a link to a set of yellow grips from the same seller on ebay. The actual grips cost $1.99 but shipping is around $4. Just go to his store and you can find some grips to match your bike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...EF:MOTORS:1123

Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Moo-wasaki
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the point of replacing bar-ends? I can't imagine much good could come out of adding spikes to the end of your handle... is it just a style thing?
Bar ends are the opposite of the Beach Boys. Bar Ends help with (bad) vibrations. They do not need to be spiked. Just weighted dampeners.

I only have "Good Vibrations" right now so I would only change them for the Farkle Factor.

Hey, I like that...THE FARKLE FACTOR!!!

Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM   #9
Sloppy2nds
just a n00b

Name: Reeeeee

Motorcycle(s): '06 R6/'08 250R

The stock ends are actually on the heavier end of the bar ends that are for sale (make sense?). If thats what your looking for Id stick with the stock bar ends, no real need to go buy new ones unless you want them lighter. Good ole ebay also has some bar end fix kits if you want to go that route instead of looking around everywhere for the perfect allen head.
Sloppy2nds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM   #10
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Quote:
Bar ends are the opposite of the Beach Boys. Bar Ends help with (bad) vibrations. They do not need to be spiked. Just weighted dampeners.

I only have "Good Vibrations" right now so I would only change them for the Farkle Factor.

Hey, I like that...THE FARKLE FACTOR!!!
Gotcha Thanks.
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:45 AM   #11
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
So here is my Haiku:

I bought new Pro Grips
Like condoms on your handles
Their hard to get on

Pretty lame but there it is.

nah...there's potential there...REAL potential!
...gonna be keeping an eye on you...

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote