ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 15th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #1
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

"Downgrade" from Yoshi can to Stock..AND I FRICKIN LOVE IT!

Got tired of all the attention my loud ass exhaust was causing and thought I'd throw the stock can back on and see how I liked it. I bought the bike with the yoshi slip-on already hooked up but the seller threw in the stock can. Ironically I spent my search focusing on bikes that had an exhaust "upgrade" because I thought the stock sounded lame in all the videos I watched on youtube. Call me a convert. My bike does feel a little slower but that is probably just mental. And the reduction in vibration, popping on decel, and buzzyness at 35-55mph makes up for any potential loss in performance. Best of all I don't feel like I'm riding the back of a mouthy yorkshire terrier when I drive through parking lots or cruise sheepishly through my neighborhood.

Feels like a new smoother bike and I love it! Surprisingly I also like the look better too. The black 2011 can looks great with my black bike. Different strokes for different folks but I'm enjoying listening to my engine when I ride rather than hearing only the high pitch exhaust ricocheting off every solid object in earshot.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninjette

I'm curious to find someone who has run the stock muffler on aftermarket headers for the 250r, probably sounds perfect and has all the power you need even without a slip on made of unobtanium...

I can't believe how many people prefer MGP growler type exhausts on the 250r... it soundsloud, sure, but it sounds like butt. Amplified butt. The small parallel twin really needs a nice muffler that refines its sound, not just a megaphone that amplifies poor accoustics because of what it is.
Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I kind of miss the quietness of the stock can every once in a while too.

Yall could always invest in the Area P Long can exhaust. It's slightly louder than stock if you still want some performance aspect.

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

The Area P Long can is quite a bit louder than stock, especially at higher RPMs...

When I swapped them I was shocked at how much even a small decibel increase translates to when received by the naked ear.

Edit: I'm even more surprised by the fact that the 18" Quiet Core option is probably the quietest aftermarket exhaust system out there!!!
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #5
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

What you guys are feeling can be summed up in one word, age. It's natural for people to prefer silence/order to loudness/chaos as they age and senility knocks on their door
DanMoto 4 lyfe!
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #6
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Are you going to sell the Yoshi?
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

I love the gurgling/popping sound on decel, and I'll take all the attention I can get considering not paying attention to bikes is a big problem for cagers. Guess it's not for everyone though.

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #8
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
I love the gurgling/popping sound on decel, and I'll take all the attention I can get considering not paying attention to bikes is a big problem for cagers. Guess it's not for everyone though.
I recall from my MSF that loud exhausts make little safety difference because most of the noise from the exhaust is heard from behind the bike (where the can is pointing). Also, most accidents occur at intersections where there is so much sensory input that cagers are even less likely to notice peripheral noise. But if it makes it even slightly safer then I guess its worth it.

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #9
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
What you guys are feeling can be summed up in one word, age. It's natural for people to prefer silence/order to loudness/chaos as they age and senility knocks on their door
DanMoto 4 lyfe!
Now that I think about it, right after I changed to the quieter can I ate a plate of brussel sprouts and esparagus and liked it. You may be on to something...lol

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'm not a believer in the "loud pipes save lives" theory because I think it's a bunch of who-eey.

BlackNinja8 I'm glad you found a setup that you like, even if it's not what I would do because of the weight of the oem can. If you want to gain back what you lost from re-installing the stock exhaust, consider pulling the snorkel or removing the airbox. Also, sell the Yoshi so you can do other things to your bike!!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland View Post
I'm curious to find someone who has run the stock muffler on aftermarket headers for the 250r, probably sounds perfect and has all the power you need even without a slip on made of unobtanium...

I can't believe how many people prefer MGP growler type exhausts on the 250r... it soundsloud, sure, but it sounds like butt. Amplified butt. The small parallel twin really needs a nice muffler that refines its sound, not just a megaphone that amplifies poor accoustics because of what it is.
I hear you, giving a megaphone to a cat doesn't make sound like a lion. I wouldn't have minded the decibel lever if the pitch was a little deeper. I enjoy the sound of a deep engine growl. But that's not what i had.

Old April 15th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #12
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmorec61 View Post
Are you going to sell the Yoshi?
I'm not sure if I will sell it yet. I guess I should, but I wanted to ride with the stock for a little while before deciding. I will def let you know if I intend to sell.

Old April 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Don't necessarily believe the louder better but if you're getting attention, maybe they're more likely to know you're there and even remember. Figure it'd be the same as LEDs, people wearing mohawks, etc.

Old April 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #14
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Glad you like the stock exhaust.

Yes, it was quite loud. I can vouch for that from yesterday riding behind you.:P

And to the getting older quiet thing. I say it depends on the person. I'm not that old...but I hate overly loud exhauts. Ninja are supposed to be stealthy.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #15
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
Glad you like the stock exhaust.

Yes, it was quite loud. I can vouch for that from yesterday riding behind you.:P

And to the getting older quiet thing. I say it depends on the person. I'm not that old...but I hate overly loud exhauts. Ninja are supposed to be stealthy.
Awesome ride yesterday glad you got home okay. If you are planning to make you way back up here definitely let me know.

Old April 15th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Area P full can is the only way to go. Gives it a nice deep growl and isn't that much louder than stock. Won't annoy you or your neighbors and it won't sound like a lawn mower anymore.

Almost forgot the HP gains, can't forget that, beats a slip on hands down every day of the week
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #17
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
Awesome ride yesterday glad you got home okay. If you are planning to make you way back up here definitely let me know.
Thanks. I had a great time as well.

I will definitely let you know if I am riding in the area. I really want to make a trip up there soon.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #18
xSean13

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I'm not a believer in the "loud pipes save lives" theory because I think it's a bunch of who-eey.
After upgrading from stock exhaust to the Danmoto Jisu, i've noticed a difference. Just the other night, I had a guy change lanes almost right on top of me (stock exhaust). Yesterday when I was riding, this woman was just ahead of me in the right lane & I could see her actively looking in her mirror for me (with Danmoto Jisu installed).

Could have just been the drivers, but I attribute it to whether or not they could hear me.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #19
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Get some good engine braking with the stock can....
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #20
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Could have just been the drivers, but I attribute it to whether or not they could hear me.
That was just the difference in drivers. I've had just as many people not see me with a loud bike as I had when my bike was quiet.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
After upgrading from stock exhaust to the Danmoto Jisu, i've noticed a difference. Just the other night, I had a guy change lanes almost right on top of me (stock exhaust). Yesterday when I was riding, this woman was just ahead of me in the right lane & I could see her actively looking in her mirror for me (with Danmoto Jisu installed).

Unless your exhaust is pointed forward, that was just a difference in drivers. All of that life saving sound goes to people that can already see you, then it pisses them off and makes them want to ram you off the road.

Loud bikes get bikers murdered
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #22
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Unless your exhaust is pointed forward, that was just a difference in drivers. All of that life saving sound goes to people that can already see you, then it pisses them off and makes them want to ram you off the road.

Loud bikes get bikers murdered

Loud bikes make cagers want to race you. Its the equivalent of pulling up alongside the guy in the next to you and telling him that your d*&k is bigger than his. They hear the race cloned exhaust and take it as a challenge. Can't tell you how many times I've had some idiot damn near kill himself to try and stay on my tail. If traffic lights prevent your escape, the only way to get rid of these idiots is to go slow and wait for them to get bored.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Hehe, I like when people try to race me on my 250, it's a good challenge
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #24
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

I guess if you're in the racing mood its not bad, but when you're just cruising and enjoying a ride and some dic is buzzing all around you its freaking annoying. Is there any particular reason why Honda Civics tend to do this more than most? I assume its because many civic drivers are young males and often modded. But even stock civic sedans seem to get froggy when I whip past them.

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #25
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

I like the kids that race in mom's car that they think is fast because it's the only thing they've driven. They also think my 250 is a 600 though so I guess that doesn't help

Old April 16th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #26
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

OK so I definitely lost some low end thrust with the switch. Didn't expect that. I find myself now driving a lot slower because the stock exhaust tricks me into thinking it is shifting time somewhere around 5-6krpm. Before I know it I'm doing 50mph in 6th gear. When I remind myself to avoid its deception the bike still pulls equally hard above 8krpm so its nice to have a smoother cruising bike that can still be pushed hard. I can spend the last 20 minutes of my ride to work basically cruising in 4th gear taking in the early signs of spring. The slip on seemed to always sound like it needed to be pushed harder and I ended up maxing every gear and racing everywhere. Fun, at times but not when I'm in the mood to cruise.

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #27
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja8 View Post
I find myself now driving a lot slower because the stock exhaust tricks me into thinking it is shifting time somewhere around 5-6krpm.
When I had my ninja 250, I did the opposite after switching back to the stock exhaust. Found myself revving up pretty high because I would associate a certain tone with different rpms. TBH, the switch from the 12" Area P full system back to stock was a nice change from two years of

Link to original page on YouTube.
but on a bike. Yes, my ninja had 23 gears.

hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #28
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

The cagers who would mow you down are either distracted by their annoying children in their minivan, bumping the ghetto blasters in their second hand crown vic cruiser, or too busy on a blue-tooth conference call to even notice the loudest noises your 250cc mill can churn out even with an MGP growler megaphone.

Even if loud pipes saved lives, which they don't, the ninjetteers would be screwed. Case in point; I was driving my dad's 99 miata for a week or two a couple months back while doing some repairs for him, had the top down, and didn't ever hear the 250r that flew up behind me and right past me, I leterally saw him, went ooh a 250r, and then noticed the jardine can and was like... dang...

No one hears even loud bikes in traffic. People have failed to notice my 3" dumped downpipe boosted 87 3series, an the exhaust on it could set of 5-stories worth of car alarms in a parking garage, and it has deffening drone on the highway as the soundwaves echo under the car and off barriers. People still try to run it over because it's small, and low compared to most cars on the road. However, at night, with my bitchin' HID setup, no one moves on my lane because they see daylight peering past the edge of their car and know there is somethign there. Visibility is your only hope at increasing awareness of your presence.

Old April 17th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #29
NinjaBoyEddy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eduardo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r special edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
DanMoto 4 lyfe!

Lol question are yo runninf the danmoto with the baffle
NinjaBoyEddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #30
bob706

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
No one hears even loud bikes in traffic.
But they sure as hell will hear you at a gas station when they pull out in front of you. No denying a mgp will get peoples attention at 9k rpm in a parking lot

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #31
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
But they sure as hell will hear you at a gas station when they pull out in front of you. No denying a mgp will get peoples attention at 9k rpm in a parking lot
There are instances when people will hear you before seeing you but IMO those people will be far less than the number of people you will piss off. That jerk who just cut you off could very well have done so intentionally in retaliation for the last motorcycle obnoxiously blipping the throttle with his MGP at a stop light an hour ago.

Old April 17th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #32
Mulholland
Garage Monkey

Dallas traffic+heat+lanesplittig bastard on 250 with MGP growler =eventully, someone's gonna mess you up lol *swings door open at opportune moment*

Old June 22nd, 2012, 06:00 PM   #33
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

Quote:
kinda thought about trying that... well see ...
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote