ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

View Poll Results: Average fuel economy on your Ninja 300?
less than 20 mpg 1 1.75%
21 mpg - 30 mpg 1 1.75%
31 mpg - 40 mpg 0 0%
41 mpg - 50 mpg 13 22.81%
51 mpg - 60 mpg 24 42.11%
61 mpg - 70 mpg 12 21.05%
71 mpg - 80 mpg 3 5.26%
81 mpg - 90 mpg 0 0%
91 mpg - 100 mpg 1 1.75%
more than 100 mpg 2 3.51%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #81
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Same bike different day, temperature difference of 5 degrees.

So you're telling me the 5 degree difference killed off 5hp? Das crazy mang

Also, I'd be very surprised if the ECU was capable of such acute changes without an O2 sensor. How exactly would it know?
It depends on how the FI setup is on the bike. Cars do use O2 and Map or Maf for correct AF ratios so if the bike doesn't have an O2 then it must being using a MAF or MAP sensor plus IAT sensor, throttle position, and then the short and long term trims are just calculations from that data. The O2 on the bike is primarily for emissions reasons on the stock ECU to ensure good old 14.7:1 stoichiometric AFR that yields the most complete combustion and thus minimum emissions. The real point is that the ECU doesn't require an O2 sensor to manage AF.

One of the things I am very eager to find out from Area P is what we will actually get to control with the ECU management as I plan to learn and tune my bike as well. I am hopeful this forum will have a specific area for tuning information since it looks like there willbe several company's that provide ECU management. I think it will be important to understand what each offers and how we may benefit from that. of course this is all within the limitations of the bike itself. I come from being able to manage cam angles by rpm, and telling the engine when to go from low to high cam. This bike will be severely limited I am sure but still a hoot to tune.

People think you loose so much control with tuning once you go FI but they actually gain more control and more importantly data to manage their tunes.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #82
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
The real point is that the ECU doesn't require an O2 sensor to manage AF.
I don't believe that's true, and even if it was possible I don't think a stock ECU would be that sophisticated as to make changes based on information it has received
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #83
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
I don't believe that's true, and even if it was possible I don't think a stock ECU would be that sophisticated as to make changes based on information it has received

LOL go google it then you will learn a lot of neat stuff. It's all just calculations from sensor inputs and a base map.

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #84
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Yea it can adjust to air temp, that's about it. It can't adjust to octane ratings or lean/rich conditions without information about it
AFM #676

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #85
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
As long as the system has a way of sensing temp/pressure changes, it will be pretty good. For example, your ninja 650 ran fine right? Those don't have O2 sensors.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #86
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
Yea it can adjust to air temp, that's about it. It can't adjust to octane ratings or lean/rich conditions without information about it
False

And adjust for altitude using map or Maf
And TPS ( throttle position)
And IAT ( intake temp sensor)
And......all of these thing directly affect the AF.

The stock ECU has static tables setup with target AFs
Without an O2 then it's all based off preset kal rather than getting to use the O2 to be able to adjust the kal based off target AF.
So what this means is that the ECU has boundaries on the calculations it can do to meet a target AF but it can still adjust the AF or lean rich conditions using other sensors besides the O2.

Why do you think guys would rather ride Pikes Peak with FI rather than being carburated?

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #87
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Wouldn't any probable power gains of running higher octane be dependant on whether or not Kawasaki programmed in ignition advance limits?
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #88
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
False

And adjust for altitude using map or Maf
And TPS ( throttle position)
And IAT ( intake temp sensor)
And......all of these thing directly affect the AF.

The stock ECU has static tables setup with target AFs
Without an O2 then it's all based off preset kal rather than getting to use the O2 to be able to adjust the kal based off target AF.
So what this means is that the ECU has boundaries on the calculations it can do to meet a target AF but it can still adjust the AF or lean rich conditions using other sensors besides the O2.

Why do you think guys would rather ride Pikes Peak with FI rather than being carburated?
It's still just an educated guess though. It could be running a 16.0 AFR and have no idea and not adjust. It's simply working off of, mainly, the temperature.

And how does this correlate to your bike running better with 93? It doesn't.
AFM #676

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:26 AM   #89
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Wouldn't any probable power gains of running higher octane be dependant on whether or not Kawasaki programmed in ignition advance limits?
Yes absolutely all of this is based off the initial map they put together plus the compensation tables values they imputed.

Example intake air temps since jiggles likes that one. In the map there is a IAT compensation table which represents a range of temps. This ensures the bikes runs good from -20 to 120F if those are the values put in. So yes kawasaki would optimize the tune for the best environment and fuel of their choosing which in this case could be 87 octane. The point is that the tune deals with changes from inputs whether it is fueling or IATs, .....

When we get a either piggy back ECU or a replacement one which is programmable we would optimize it for our fuel environment variables. So in the case of temps I would say hey I am in Texas and would narrow my -20F temp for the bottom of the scale to be 0F so when the ECU calculates the Result willbe a closer one. The down side of this is as you narrow the scope of a tune you also have to potentially adjust it more as well to maintain the up in power you have gained like changing jets and such but it's just updating a map or having a few maps for the different times of year. The O2 is must have in my book.

Old October 10th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #90
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
It's still just an educated guess though. It could be running a 16.0 AFR and have no idea and not adjust. It's simply working off of, mainly, the temperature.

And how does this correlate to your bike running better with 93? It doesn't.
As far as the inputs being used to calculate yes it is a guess as I am not familiar with the ECU inputs to be available for the 300 or your 1000 and I never said the 93 would run better, worse, or nothing.

I said the ECU will compensate for 93 with no ill affects and I also said it could gain, loose, or having nothing as results in power or mileage since all of that is dependent on the input variables being used by the ECU.

My point to all of this is that the ECU is equipped to handle 87-93+? Octane no problem. A carbed setup is not as blessed in that regard since it has no inputs\logic or does any calculations to make determinations with.

Old October 10th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #91
Fappy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R, 2008 Ninja 250R (sold)

Many modern performance vehicles are more than capable of sensing the octane rating of supplied fuel, and usually are able to take advantage of higher-octane gasoline by advancing the spark timing and so forth. The end result is more power.

I'm not sure if the new Ninjette has this capability, but it's really not far-fetched...and by the way, FI works just fine without needing to be in closed-loop with an O2 sensor.. I know this first hand from my car, when the rear O2s stopped functioning. Worst thing that happened was that it idled slightly lower.

Like Thomas said, the ECU calculates its input fuel amounts based on its almanac of data maps and using the temperature and throttle position; which, in most cases, lets the engine combust the fuel/air at "close enough" to the ideal stoichiometric ratio.
Fappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #92
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

May need to start a new thread in regards to ECU management and all the different brands that will surely come but I thought the below was interesting and related to how the ECU can use these inputs.

The 300 49 state version seems to have the following that "should" be used by the ECU as inputs.

After reviewing the parts diagram.
IATs - intake air temps
VSS - variable speed sensor
Manifold pressure
TPS - throttle position sensor seems to be part of throttle body sold as a unit but I will have to visually check my bike since there was another sensor there not labeled but TPS seems logical.

I also saw something new to me which was a Damper ECU? Not sure what that is.....

Anyway I hope some of this is helpful and will start a different thread at some point since this thread is about gas mileage and I think we have gone a little off course.

Old October 10th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #93
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

So are there knock sensors in these bikes to adjust the ignition timing if the ECU allows?

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #94
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
So are there knock sensors in these bikes to adjust the ignition timing if the ECU allows?
I looked but didn't see one but wow wouldn't that be sweet to have lean and knock protection on a bike.

Old October 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #95
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Ya I guess maybe they're not as practical in sportbikes probably due to the engine noise these things make.

Old October 14th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #96
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

45 mpg today, on a ride up and over Mt. Hamilton. It's evidently slightly better when I'm not chasing/being chased by Jason.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #97
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
45 mpg today, on a ride up and over Mt. Hamilton. It's evidently slightly better when I'm not chasing/being chased by Jason.
Man, you must thrash that thing. After two tanks in the 50s, I just filled up and got 61mpg. And that's on a tank that was half stop-n-go commuting, and half winding it out in the country. For folks wanting to keep tabs on mileage, I plan to record every fill-up on fuelly. My dashboard is here: https://www.fuelly.com/driver/tnr4/ninja-300
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #98
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

I was gonna get a 300 to have better gas mileage, power, and fun. But, my 250 with a full system gets around 55 mpg consistently with no babying. Drops down to about high 40s on a track day.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #99
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
I was gonna get a 300 to have better gas mileage, power, and fun. But, my 250 with a full system gets around 55 mpg consistently with no babying. Drops down to about high 40s on a track day.
Yeah, you certainly don't need the 300 for mileage, then. My impression is that I will need to really concentrate on mileage to get much better than that. My highest tank so far has been 61, and that was without babying it, but it also included a fair amount of flat cruising. I'm sure the 70s are feasible if that's your aim, but it's not mine, so I imagine 50s will be the norm.

Old October 17th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #100
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Yeah, you certainly don't need the 300 for mileage, then. My impression is that I will need to really concentrate on mileage to get much better than that. My highest tank so far has been 61, and that was without babying it, but it also included a fair amount of flat cruising. I'm sure the 70s are feasible if that's your aim, but it's not mine, so I imagine 50s will be the norm.
I was expecting with some mixed riding and redline trips it would consistently get around 65s. But yeah, I don't really bother trying to get the best mileage its just a little added bonus to have as much fun as you want and still get some good mileage out of it.

Old October 17th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #101
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Man, you must thrash that thing. After two tanks in the 50s, I just filled up and got 61mpg. And that's on a tank that was half stop-n-go commuting, and half winding it out in the country. For folks wanting to keep tabs on mileage, I plan to record every fill-up on fuelly. My dashboard is here: https://www.fuelly.com/driver/tnr4/ninja-300
Nice fuel tracker

I'm getting around 55 mpg - mostly in town (stop-n-go/slow speed stuff, 95% of riding) and some not twisty at all local backroads. Easy on the revs, eco usually on. Hrmmm...
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #102
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

My experience has been that motorcycles tend to get much better mileage when at higher elevation. Not sure where your local riding takes you in Colorado, but I would assume that you're a little bit closer to extraterrestrial life than we are, and that would help average mileage numbers over time.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old October 17th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #103
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

True altitude does play a part in the fuel economy, also end up losing a bit of power too because of the altitude. Just didn't think it would give me so much better fuel economy.

Last futzed with by 00NissanNinja; October 18th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Old October 18th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #104
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Quote:
I guess I am what I eat.
Aways had a hankering for "fish tacos"
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #105
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

got 62 on my last fill up
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM   #106
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Last two tanks: 38 mpg, then 46 mpg.

Old October 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM   #107
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Alex, I think you should also post up some numbers once Annie starts riding it. You might just be the most throttle-happy rider in our little pole
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM   #108
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Alex, I think you should also post up some numbers once Annie starts riding it. You might just be the most throttle-happy rider in our little pole
Seriously dude! I feel guilty for what I'm putting my baby through, and I haven't dropped below 50. 38!!! I just spent a whole day out in the country, stopping regularly to practice launches, and redlining the bejessus out of 'er on the 0-60 runs. I'll see what this tank is like, but the gauge is dropping at the same rate as usual. So I just don't know what you do to that thing, lol.

Old October 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM   #109
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I'm not very aerodynamic.

Old October 23rd, 2012, 04:21 PM   #110
kooshbox
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Got another identical 61 MPG today. About to do my break-in service!

Old October 23rd, 2012, 07:30 PM   #111
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
I'm not very aerodynamic.
You look very aerodynamic in you Avatar...

Old October 29th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #112
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

The quietness in here is chilling oooo.

Last fill-up got 67 mpg, don't know if I can beat that on the next fill up

Old October 29th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #113
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
The quietness in here is chilling oooo.

Last fill-up got 67 mpg, don't know if I can beat that on the next fill up
Is that highway miles?
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #114
kooshbox
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Is that highway miles?
Yesterday's fillup was 67 MPG. 7/8 highway.

Old October 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #115
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Got 51 last fillup since putting on my Roso IIs he he he

Old October 29th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #116
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Next goal is into the 40's, Thomas!

Old October 29th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #117
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Thumbs up

Quote:
Next goal is into the 40's, Thomas!
I bet high 40s are there but I need to find some hills or get on a track. Lol!!

What a joy this bike is. I can't wait to get a full exhaust on this thing. It's damned near the perfect bike for my needs. I love being able to use all of it so much yet it's still comfy minus the still hard seat lol.

Old October 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #118
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Is that highway miles?
Sideroads - constant high speeds in the higher gears (about 70% of riding). Speed limit around town is 45mph+, less traffic in the morning on weekends, eco always on (rpms down low). No hwy miles whatsoever. Don't know if my featherweight has anything to do with it...

Old October 30th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #119
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
Sideroads - constant high speeds in the higher gears (about 70% of riding). Speed limit around town is 45mph+, less traffic in the morning on weekends, eco always on (rpms down low). No hwy miles whatsoever. Don't know if my featherweight has anything to do with it...
That is actually better than my 250. I was getting 58 in the city on stock gearing.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #120
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

What??? All you 300 riders quite riding in November?