ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #1
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Why do people buy black motorcycles?

My favourite color is green. But if I couldnt buy a green 250 I would def. buy a black bike. The reason im not purchasing a black bike, black leather jacket, and black helmet is because I want to be seen on the road. I hear, and read, that allot of bike accidents are caused because the motorcyclist fails to be noticed. The obvious cure to this...from my P.O.V. (in addition to keeping a headlight on) would be to get a bright bike like green (Wich is the fastest echem) and get a bright helmet and jacket. If it could save your life wouldnt you much rather go with your SECOND....heck maybe even your THIRD best color to minimise the chance of that person making that left turn in front of you? This is a HUGE deterrant for me. Im in the market for a bike but im pretty opposed to purchasing a black bike (even though they look nice) for this specific reason.... Opinions fellas?
lavid2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
kkim

Wear bright clothing... more importantly, a bright colored helemt, then choose whatever color bike you wish.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #3
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

?

The bike doesn't make a difference? It has much more surface area than you do...

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #4
kkim

it does, but from what I've read, the helmet being the highest point is seen first by drivers. Having bright colored clothing helps, too, as a bright colored bike and having your headlight on. You do what you can, but if it means giving up on what color you really want, I'd go with what makes you happy and try to maximize visibility in other areas to compensate.

What I don't get are the riders who dress in all black w/ a black bike which makes them virtually invisible at night and doesn't do much for them during the day, either.

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #5
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I'm not sure that a high visibilty color really matters all that much sometimes. Think about it, green matches grass. Black matches the pavement. Blue matches the sky. take your pick. I've been driving past those burnt orange 350 Z's and flaming yellow Lotus Elises before and they are no more or less noticable than a white Honda. It all has to do with the driver paying attention to a moving object. This is just my opinion though. I'm sure there are many facts out there to expell my ideas.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #6
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

lol, on a side note I wear black on black with a pink and white helmet. I've only had one car pull out in front of me so far. He was a moron because there was a green Explorer directly behind me. Why he did it, I have no idea. I haven't had any problems so far with visibility. I'm sure my day will come but so far it hasn't.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #7
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

You obviously want Green or Red--all HI-VIZ colours. However, Black can be made HI-VIZ by the clothing you wear and the. lights vou choose to employ.A cage would have a difficult time ignoring a bike running HID lights. The key is to be seen. A Green or Red bike are irrelevant in the dark Black is not the problem.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #8
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

That was actually part of my reasoning as well. I absolutely love the green and they way it shows the bikes lines off, but even more importantly I love how striking and more visibly it is. Paired with my green helmet, I feel I have given myself the best efforts to be seen on the road.
Aside form that, green IS kawi, how could you go with any other color?

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #9
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Alright...good advice here. Nice with the pink helmet...but a little extreme for me. I want to be noticed not stared at : D
Just kidding.

Anyone here go OUT of there way to put reflective strips on boots, parts of the bike.... etc???

I know when im hunting I wear blaze orange on the butt of the rifle, and on my head. Anyone wear a blaze orange helmet?

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Gregular
Not on the rug... man

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Diablo Black Ninja 250r, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
Anyone here go OUT of there way to put reflective strips on boots, parts of the bike.... etc???
Yup, I'll post pics of it all installed. These are all reflective (some white some black)

I also think that we suffer from having single head/tail lights - its much harder to gauge distance and speed, Try it out with a car that has 1 blown headlight. So you could also add additional lights to help

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #11
kkim

No, but until recently I was wearing a Hi Vis yellow one piece suit and a white helmet to increase visibility. This atop a lime green motorcycle really gets people's attention... exactly what I wanted.

I now have a gray and black suit, but my helmet is going to be Hi Vis yellow once they come in.

Most good pieces of clothing already have reflective tape on them, but you can purchase more separately and go to town all over the bike.

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Being seen is a nice deterrent up to a point, but we could be juggling flaming batons while wearing a double-bright hi-viz aerotich on a bike that is painted glow-in-the-dark orange, and there still will be people who simply don't see us. Especially when we're oncoming traffic, the most dangerous time. Make yourself visible, but that doesn't preclude our need to ride as if we're invisible anyway.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #13
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Most good pieces of clothing already have reflective tape on them, but you can purchase more separately and go to town all over the bike.
Yeah I think im guna hit it up with ALLOT of reflective tape if and when I buy a bike. The back of the helmet. ALL over the front of the bike. All around my license plate. Ill be chopin that fugly fender off, but ill be purchasing numerous reflective plastic peices to screw to the license plate in lei of the reflector on the fender.

Anyone else take any steps to be seen besides the ones mentioned?
-Reflective tape
-Bright clothing
-Keep a headlight on
-Bright bike
-Stay out of blind spots

Old February 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #14
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

I've chosen to go with the helmet and jacket that will make me the most visible on whatever color I'm riding; my current Red one or my new color

or

Old February 11th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #15
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I don't know why people think the color of the bike has anything to do with being seen on the road. When you are approching a car they can't tell what color your bike is. The small surface area of your front fairing is totally obscured by the headlight and all oncoming bikes appear to be the same color. The only thing a driver sees (if they see you at all) is the headlight and the outline of the bike. By the time the oncoming driver can tell what color your bike is he's too close for it to make any difference whatsoever. While it may make you more noticeable from the side, most accidents are caused by oncoming cars, not cars approching you from the side.
The #1 way to make yourself more visible on a motorcycle is to wear a WHITE helmet. Unfortunately, a lot of helmet manufacturers do not make all-white lids, but it has been proven numerous times that a white helmet is the most noticeable. The #2 way to be more conspicuous is to wear a bright yellow or orange jacket, but this is still not as noticeable as a white helmet. If the surface area of a motorcycle were as large as a car's, color might make a difference, but it has much less and is therefore not a factor the way it is with cars. Try telling what color an approching bike is next time you see one coming and I guarantee that unless it's a huge Harley with a barn-door sized purple windscreen you won't be able to tell the color until it's too late for avoidance.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #16
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

When i took my bike-license, my driving-instructor actually said that black was the most visible "color". He said it was because its such an unatural color too find outside.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #17
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinss View Post
when i took my bike-license, my teacher said that black was the most visible "color". Its because its such an unatural color too find outside.
That's totaly absurd and one of the most untrue comments I've ever heard about bike safety. There are plenty of studies disproving that statement and that teacher should know better. Most MSF sites recommend white or at least brightly-colored helmets for visibility. The only time black is conspicuous is when it's paired up with a much lighter color, like black and white stripes or a checkerboard. I learned that from an old sky diving instructor and it's been confirmed numerous times since then.
I wore an all-white Bell Star II for 3 years and the difference was noticeable on a daily basis. Car drivers would see you much sooner and the ones that noticed a little late would decellerate quickly because they would think you were a motorcycle cop from a distance. I got many comments while waiting for lights to change from motorists who either thought I was a cop at first or told me how noticeable the white helmet was. Black helmets may be "cool", but they don't do a danged thing for visibility.

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #18
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

I ride Black
But i always ride like i'm "Invisible" that and it helps living in a small town of only 17 thousand.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #19
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
That's totaly absurd and one of the most untrue comments I've ever heard about bike safety.
i think he's right actually, and he have learned it somewhere, they are not teaching bs, its definately something to think about, i wouldnt notice a colorful bike any easier than a black one to be honest.

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #20
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

What?

Quote:
When i took my bike-license, my driving-instructor actually said that black was the most visible "color". He said it was because its such an unatural color too find outside.
What color is the road? LOL!
There are plenty of things that are black on the roads. The road itself first and foremost, the next most plentiful black substance would be shadows. Not to mention night time. A green or orange bike would glow under a street light, a black bike would blend in with the shadow it makes...and the darkness behind it.

This driving instructor seems a little sketchy to me.

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM   #21
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
What color is the road? LOL!
There are plenty of things that are black on the roads. The road itself first and foremost, the next most plentiful black substance would be shadows. Not to mention night time. A green or orange bike would glow under a street light, a black bike would blend in with the shadow it makes...and the darkness behind it.
This driving instructor seems a little sketchy to me.
roads are not equal to "outside". The point is that black is not a "natural color".
btw, the road isnt black? its mostly grey. a green bike blends with every tree, plant or vegetation along the road
although, i still think this guy have a point, i see how the color of my own bike could affect this discussion, so im out
Quote:
when it's paired up with a much lighter color, like black and white stripes or a checkerboard. I learned that from an old sky diving instructor and it's been confirmed numerous times since then.
yes thats true, i believe ive read that black and yellow are the best color-combination.

Old February 11th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #22
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
I don't know why people think the color of the bike has anything to do with being seen on the road. When you are approching a car they can't tell what color your bike is. The small surface area of your front fairing is totally obscured by the headlight and all oncoming bikes appear to be the same color. The only thing a driver sees (if they see you at all) is the headlight and the outline of the bike. By the time the oncoming driver can tell what color your bike is he's too close for it to make any difference whatsoever. While it may make you more noticeable from the side, most accidents are caused by oncoming cars, not cars approching you from the side.
The #1 way to make yourself more visible on a motorcycle is to wear a WHITE helmet. Unfortunately, a lot of helmet manufacturers do not make all-white lids, but it has been proven numerous times that a white helmet is the most noticeable. The #2 way to be more conspicuous is to wear a bright yellow or orange jacket, but this is still not as noticeable as a white helmet. If the surface area of a motorcycle were as large as a car's, color might make a difference, but it has much less and is therefore not a factor the way it is with cars. Try telling what color an approching bike is next time you see one coming and I guarantee that unless it's a huge Harley with a barn-door sized purple windscreen you won't be able to tell the color until it's too late for avoidance.

Absolutely right. You only really notice a bike's color when viewed from the side. So, I wear a solid white helmet (Scorpion EXO-700) and use a headlight modulator. I never assume that makes me safe but why not stack a few cards in my favor?

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #23
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

So how bout contrasting colors on your bike. IE blue and white like suzuki...or green black and white like the 08 NINJA Or like you were saying black and yellow...a good contrast. PErhaps a yellow bike with black clothing. Would this be more effective than a yellow bike with a yellow helmet etc...

Old February 11th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #24
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

i guess green and black could work well, green is quite similar to yellow.

very often when you see a bike, you really only see a wheel, a rear-/headlight, and a helmet. A helmet with black and yellow/green checkers would be perfect.
the actual color of the bike doesnt matter too much

Old February 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #25
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

In my many years of riding and driving sports cars, I found that most Harleys head on cannot be mistaken for a one eyed car. Most of them display their main headlight and two driving lights forming a triangle. To that end, I installed a set of halogen driving/fog lamps on my Ninja. I also plan to change my rear directionals to be on all the time and flash when needed. The brake light will be equipped with one of those flashing modules that were so well described in this forum. I notice that most of the bikes in this forum have removed their side reflectors and rear reflector. I cut about four inches off the rear fender and filled the depression in with white reflective tape. I also added a rectangular red bicyle reflector on top of the reflective tape. What made the stock fender so ghastly was the upturn at the bottom with that chintzy reflector stuck on. My fender fits in much better in the overall scheme of things. I also wear a white helmet. Have had white helmets for 50 years. I also wear a white helmet when I ride my bicycle.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #26
devinjc
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 205 Black

I bought a black bike so it would look cool with my bright yellow jacket and yellow and white helmet.

As others have said, head on you can't really tell what color it is, and by the time the color of the bike matters from the side you've been t-boned.
devinjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #27
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I wear a red/white helmet and a red/silver jacket on my red 2008 250.

Red means stop.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #28
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I've chosen to go with the helmet and jacket that will make me the most visible on whatever color I'm riding; my current Red one or my new color

I like that helmet
When I go Green, I'm gonna get me one of those puppies!

Edit: And my youngest son just announced that he wants the same helemt and jacket for when he rides with me
So that makes you a role-model OldGuy
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #29
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Thank you Alan - newenough should be getting some in before too long.

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #30
kkim

I was told today those helmets will be for sale at newenough in early March.

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #31
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I have a white helmet with some reflective pale purple and pale blue designs on it and I added a halo band - i'm told it's REALLY bright!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #32
Strider
Back on the Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I have a white helmet with some reflective pale purple and pale blue designs on it and I added a halo band - i'm told it's REALLY bright!
Got a pic of it? Post it! Let's see it

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #33
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Got a pic of it? Post it! Let's see it
posted over in the closet thread too as I figure it will stick around longer, but here it is again
Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Helmet[/U]
Scorpion EXO 400 Paradise

http://www.rockheadbikes.com/Product...nexo400prdssky

There's the helmet...
Here's a pic of the band
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #34
Strider
Back on the Black!

I must have missed it in the Closet thread.
Looks great though! That band will really make a difference at night.

My wife likes it too Now I know what helmet to buy for her!

Old February 11th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #35
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Nice

That halo band is a pretty cool thing. Not too expencive either.

Old February 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #36
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Those HALO thingies are wicked conspicuous. Even in daylight they reflect headlights like a neon sign. There is also a brake light that you can attach to the rear of your helmet if you're really paranoid about being rear-ended.
You can get lots of safety gear you might not even know about on the Ride Safer website. They have good prices on many items, including headlight modulators and Fiamm horns.

http://www.ridesafer.com/

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:20 AM   #37
LuckyDog
ninjette.org member

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I have a Black bike and to be seen better at night I added red reflective rim tape. I like the way it looks so much .... that I went out and purchased a square foot of reflective red tape to add onto my helmet so I can be seen better up high. I feel much safer now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NinjaHelm2.jpg (54.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RefHelmSide.jpg (72.8 KB, 11 views)

LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #38
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
I have a Black bike and to be seen better at night I added red reflective rim tape. I like the way it looks so much .... that I went out and purchased a square foot of reflective red tape to add onto my helmet so I can be seen better up high. I feel much safer now.
What are you doing about being seen in daylight? You know, the time you likely do most of your riding.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #39
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I use to really like black, but the lack of visibility (safety) and the fact that there are so many black bikes around makes it less desirable to me.

I prefer red.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #40
jpnfrk
Her name is Itoshii

Name: Nani

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I fell in love with my black bike when I saw it. The flames were stock red and I thought visibility-wise the color scheme was a bit dark so I got the bright and reflective magenta which I doubt will blend with the surroundings. I think shiny black bikes look hot!! (not trying to say anything bad about the other colors)