Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #41
LuckyDog
ninjette.org member

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
What are you doing about being seen in daylight? You know, the time you likely do most of your riding.

Tim
Well ..... I actually my job really doesn't allow me to ride much during the day .... But when I do I have a bright red jacket that stands out like a sore thumb on my black bike.

LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #42
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Name: Joanne

Motorcycle(s): Red EX250R Ninja

Black bikes are gorgeous! Very sleek and alluring.
Countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #43
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
Black bikes are gorgeous! Very sleek and alluring.
Word...I just dont think there as safe as a kawi green, or a red bike is. So allot of peole are using retro reflective material. Anyone put LED lights on their bike. I know on my road bike I have a blinking LED light on the back of me seat so when im riding the bridges or roads at night im seen.

Old February 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #44
kkim

Dave,
Have you seen this page?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #45
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Well, black, blue, green, red, white or multicolored, there are a lot of unobservant people who are not paying attention no matter what you drive. Too many people are distracted by texting on their cell phones, grooving to their music, talking on their cell phone or to their passenger, yelling at kids goofing around in the backseat, trying to change the DVD or CD or eating or trying to wipe up their coffee or food that spilled on them or rummaging through papers for work, high on drugs, drunk driving, writing things down, putting on makeup, etc.

I think the best thing you can do is to always be on the lookout and drive defensively. You can have your entire bike tricked out with lights that says, "look out" and people will crash into you.

Recently there was an accident at an intersection out here, where a mini van was stopped at the red light, and a gravel truck driver who was drunk, came up from behind them and drove right over top of the van, killing all 5 people inside. 2 adults, 3 kids. They were in a minivan and still got run over.

I think it just boils down to driving defensively and even when you're stopped to be looking into your mirrors to observe traffic behind you, looking left and right to make sure someone isn't running the red light, etc. Also making sure you're not in a vehicles blind spot.

Maybe get those snazzy lights that light up under a bike or in the wheels for night. Those look great. No matter what you get for your bike to make it more visible there's still that driver who doesn't pay attention. So IMHO just be more alert yourself.

Good luck finding something!

Old February 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #46
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

/\ word. It seems like all of the stories I hear about people getting killed on a bike start off with "he was going 150 mph." I found the best way to solve that problem was go to 149. lol. But seriously, defensive driving, in my opinion is the way to go. I know people who have hit parked conversion vans from not paying attention. < that was my sister. Funny story actually.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #47
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Oh, I know this is not doable for a bunch of riders, but my instructor just told us straight out not to ride at night. He said he's been riding for 25 years, has raced competitively around North America and he said he doesn't drive at night. He just told us to avoid it if at all possible because not only do cars have a hard time seeing you, animals come out at night (deer, moose, etc.) and your visibility is not as good as night because you can't see as far ahead as you can in the day to avoid obstacles.

Old February 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #48
Countrygirl
Adrenaline Junkie Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
/\ word. It seems like all of the stories I hear about people getting killed on a bike start off with "he was going 150 mph." I found the best way to solve that problem was go to 149. lol. But seriously, defensive driving, in my opinion is the way to go. I know people who have hit parked conversion vans from not paying attention. < that was my sister. Funny story actually.
LOL... that's funny! Now I'm curious to as to what happened!

Old February 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #49
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrygirl View Post
animals come out at night (deer, moose, etc.)
I'm sorry, but I almost choked on my drink when I read that - the moose thing was really funny to me for some reason! LOL!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #50
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

She was in a 1993 Nissan Altima and there was a big Chevy van parked on the wrong side of the street in our neighborhood. It was about 3am and she hit the van. Moved her engine under the passenger compartment. Pushed the van across a 40ft street, up a 10ft embankment into the woods. She scared the neighbors to death. She still hasn't lived it down. She was fine. What I can't believe is that she got that little Altima moving that fast in less than half a mile up a rather steep hill.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #51
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

I think its just about doing the thinking for the cagers. You look at cars and try to figure out what they are going to do next.

Ive done some more reading on this(articles etc), after this discussion got off, and as for the colors on your bike, it doesnt make much difference(if any) i think. Its more about the cagers. They dont look for the bike, and they dont feel threathened by it, so often they dont see them(dont bother to look for it). They sure looks for busses/trailers/cars. 8/10 accidents involving a car and a bike, is the car not seeing the bike because of what i mentioned above. :/ with a bike you have the opportunity to do some quick acc. or braking, so its just about being on the lookout, and you could pretty much keep any speed you like. Driving to defensive makes you sleepy and less observant. So offensive driving could be good, makes you more focused. Its a matter of learning to process the things you see when your driving, and decide whats important and whats not.

I've read somewhere else that in the UK you get 5-10% off your car insurance, if you also have a bike, cus its proven that bikers are more focused/observant in the traffic
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 09:05 AM   #52
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

You're still not going to convince me that bike color has anything significant to do with accident avoidance. All cats are grey at night and all bikes look the same to an approching cage driver. Trick your bike out with tons of lights and you run the risk of being so well seen that you induce target fixation in the oncoming driver.
I've personally owned red, blue and now a black bike and I had way more incidents of not being seen on the RED one than the black Ninja I now have. Whatever color you ride, there will always be cagers who don't or won't see you. Choosing what you assume is a brighter or more noticeable color for your bike is a poor substitute for situational awareness and defensive driving techniques.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #53
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Choosing what you assume is a brighter or more noticeable color for your bike is a poor substitute for situational awareness and defensive driving techniques.
Who ever said that the color of the bike would substitute for awareness of the person driving it?

Old February 16th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #54
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
That was actually part of my reasoning as well. I absolutely love the green and they way it shows the bikes lines off, but even more importantly I love how striking and more visibly it is. Paired with my green helmet, I feel I have given myself the best efforts to be seen on the road.
Aside form that, green IS kawi, how could you go with any other color?
Tyler, You may find this hard to believe, but all studies by the NHTA, and some insurance companies have foun that White is the safest most visible colour. True, Green may be fashionable and colour coordinated, but white is the way to go.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #55
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Tyler, You may find this hard to believe, but all studies by the NHTA, and some insurance companies have foun that White is the safest most visible colour. True, Green may be fashionable and colour coordinated, but white is the way to go.
I believe it....however white was not one of the color choices for the 250 Of the colors offered, green seemed to be the most visually catching.

I do agree however that the color choice is NO substitution for riding habits. I just believe that a green bike has a better chance at being seen then a black bike, even if the odds of being seen are only improved by half a percent.

From the front, and definitely back, the bike color has virtually no effect since so little of the color is seen. From the side however, I believe it may help, even if just a little. My biggest concern when on a bike is when I am in heavy traffic and worrying about a car changing lanes into my lane, and in that situation, when most drivers do a real quick glance, a glance that would catch the side of the motorcycle, I think a green (or colored) bike would be more easily noticed then a black bike.

In any case, I dont think I could get a kawi in any other color then green, it's kawis trademark. And on the 250, it just shows the bikes lines off so well....I love it.

Old February 16th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #56
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

I'm thinking about buying some reflective rim tape for the wheels, but I'm 100% certain there will be some left over and I'll probably stick some on my helmet, maybe the LP or anywhere else I can think of! Should increase visibility!
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #57
kkim

welcome to the board, Mike.

Old February 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #58
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I got a black 08 250 cause thats what the guy was selling. I got a black ex-700 cause thats all that would fit my noggin. Black jacket was on sale. Johnny Cash would be proud of me, lol. You could be riding with your bike on fire and some people will still see right though you.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #59
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
I got a black 08 250 cause thats what the guy was selling. I got a black ex-700 cause thats all that would fit my noggin. Black jacket was on sale. Johnny Cash would be proud of me, lol.
...so would undercover brother!

SOLID!

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #60
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
welcome to the board, Mike.
I think I'm in love with you, or maybe your bike.

Not entirely sure.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #61
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

This will work

this is how I roll.....

Makes people stop in their tracks and stare so you can zip by fast and easy....
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #62
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
Who ever said that the color of the bike would substitute for awareness of the person driving it?
Just generalizing. I see way too many of these "what's the safest color for a bike" threads. People should be more concerned about what they wear while on the bike than the bike itself if they want to be seen. As another poster noted, some people won't see you if your bike is on fire. The more experience you get riding and the more you develop your riding skills, the more you realize how insignificant bike color is for safety.
The one advantage that black bikes have is that you can wear outrageously bright gear in any color, because black goes with anything. This dramatically increases your choices for gear and allows you to choose any color you think stands out the most for your helmet and jacket. An orange jacket on a kawi green bike might make you a tiny bit more noticeable, but it might also induce nausea every time you catch a glance of yourself in the rear-view mirror.
I have a bright red Puig windscreen on my black Ninja. From a distance it's quite noticeable and when the sun is behind it I'm sure it's even more so, but I don't kid myself that it make any difference whatsoever in being seen by oncoming vehicles.

Old February 17th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #63
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I think that regardless of the colour of the bike--at least in daylight--and to some degree at night, a white helmet makes the most sense. A distracted driver will not see you regardless of what you ride or drive. I drive a big bright red and black Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban which runs on biodiesel. I have had people cut me off and pull in front of me swearing that they never saw me. That diesel is also not the quietest thing in the world. The Ninja is quieter.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #64
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I think that regardless of the colour of the bike--at least in daylight--and to some degree at night, a white helmet makes the most sense. A distracted driver will not see you regardless of what you ride or drive. I drive a big bright red and black Chevy 3/4 Ton Suburban which runs on biodiesel. I have had people cut me off and pull in front of me swearing that they never saw me. That diesel is also not the quietest thing in the world. The Ninja is quieter.
True, Ive already started planning alternate routes to school, so when I drive I cn stay on one-lane roads. Eliminate the "Blind spot" lane changin problem, and a bunch of other things.

: D WHEN WILL NJ COME OUT WITH THE 2009 DMV BRC SCHEDUELS! I want to ride....allot....allot....allot...

Old February 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #65
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

I don't understand the responses that say bright colors won't keep you safe. This is a straw man argument. No one is saying that. Bright colors in and of themselves won't prevent a crash but why not do most of the things you have some control over? Of course you have to ride as if no one can see you. Yes, wear protective gear. Practice sudden stops and avoidance maneuvers. I think a solid white helmet and use of a headlight modulator make a bigger difference than bike color. Certainly, you can take every safety step and someone can still take you out. Ignoring all this because nothing can make you completely safe is daft.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #66
gagt04
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): Soon To Be A Red 08 Ninja 250

??

you think thats a small town?.... I have about 500 people in my town....lol just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
I ride Black
But i always ride like i'm "Invisible" that and it helps living in a small town of only 17 thousand.
gagt04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #67
kkim

Hi, Matt. Welcome to ninjette.

Old February 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #68
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagt04 View Post
I have about 500 people in my town
That's not a town, that's a small movie theater.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #69
gagt04
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): Soon To Be A Red 08 Ninja 250

haha i guess thats what i get for living in wisconsin...but i wouldn't have it anyother way. And also is $3200obo for a 08 ninja250 with 3 thousand miles on it a good price?... it also is rejetted with a two brothers slip on, and never been tipped
gagt04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #70
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hi Matt,

Seems like a reasonable price, but this isn't the thread for this discussion. Post up a new one in the New Members area or even this General area to ask about pricing.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #71
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

This thread has become shallow and pedantic. Hmm, yes...shallow and pedantic. Black Ninja FTW!!!
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #72
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Old February 17th, 2009, 05:42 PM   #73
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

welcome matt!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #74
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Im with the guy with the dog for an avatar. Ill take every reasonable step I can. I know driving defensively helps 1,000 fold more than bike color will, but why not make it that much more with color, gear, etc? Im down for almost anything.

Old February 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #75
BlackKarma
ninjette.org member

Name: Ronin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Chrome Yellow Ninja 250

Quote:
My favourite color is green. But if I couldnt buy a green 250 I would def. buy a black bike. The reason im not purchasing a black bike, black leather jacket, and black helmet is because I want to be seen on the road. I hear, and read, that allot of bike accidents are caused because the motorcyclist fails to be noticed. The obvious cure to this...from my P.O.V. (in addition to keeping a headlight on) would be to get a bright bike like green (Wich is the fastest echem) and get a bright helmet and jacket. If it could save your life wouldnt you much rather go with your SECOND....heck maybe even your THIRD best color to minimise the chance of that person making that left turn in front of you? This is a HUGE deterrant for me. Im in the market for a bike but im pretty opposed to purchasing a black bike (even though they look nice) for this specific reason.... Opinions fellas?

Had a black bike for years...Sometimes it's better Not to be seen...

Old February 18th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #76
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Of all the things you can do to be seen, bike color is way, way down at the bottom of the list. There are so many other proven ways to make yourself more visible. As Tim said, white helmet and headlight modulator are at the top of the list. Adding reflective tape, reflective rim strips and a brake light modulator makes a big difference too. I say buy the color of bike you want because that's the color you like, not because it might make you more visible. Then add the proven methods to make your bike more conspicuous if you're concerned about being seen on the road. Something as simple as changing your helmet color will make a huge difference compared to the insignificant returns you'll get from buying a brightly colored bike when what you really wanted was a black one...

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #77
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
white helmet and headlight modulator are at the top of the list.
Whats a headlight modulator? Is that the device that keeps one light on at all times? Including daytime?

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #78
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Whats a headlight modulator? Is that the device that keeps one light on at all times? Including daytime?
No, It flashes. Example here,
http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #79
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Jesus christ, just looking at that think almost gave me a seizure. Are you sure thats not illegal? Something flashing like that seems like it would CAUSE an accident. Thats one hell of a way to be noticed.

Old February 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #80
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Jesus christ, just looking at that think almost gave me a seizure. Are you sure thats not illegal? Something flashing like that seems like it would CAUSE an accident. Thats one hell of a way to be noticed.
They flash in the daylight then go solid at nightime
Click da Link
NewJerseyLaws
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote