ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old August 9th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #41
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ride normally, get the ECU replaced that way it's not a hassle if you ever decide to sell.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #42
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

My bike isn't any less safe today than it was a month ago. It hasn't exhibited the stalling problem, so I'm not going to worry about it. When parts are easily available and I can get it in and out of service without an issue, I'll schedule the repair at that point.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #43
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
I also got a letter today, the stalling has only happened to me once, I believe.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #44
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Got my recall notice yesterday. Haven't been having any problems with stalling, so I'm not really in a hurry to take it into the dealership.

I also don't feel like uninstalling the Area-P tuner that I just installed. Not really sure what to do. I guess I should take it to get it "fixed" though.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #45
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Got my recall notice yesterday. Haven't been having any problems with stalling, so I'm not really in a hurry to take it into the dealership.

I also don't feel like uninstalling the Area-P tuner that I just installed. Not really sure what to do. I guess I should take it to get it "fixed" though.
Why uninstall the tuner?
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #46
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I dunno, for some reason I thought that I might need to remove it. I went over to the dealership today and they told me it wouldn't be a problem. They didn't have any ecu's in yet though.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #47
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I just got off the phone with my dealership and I told them that I was not in a hurry because it only happened once and I had the tuner in now and they said it needs to be done asap. He just got the notice yesterday as well. He will call me when the parts are in.

Old August 10th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #48
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

fairly positive i ran into an article somewhere saying you do only have till X date to get it done....

so i dont know why people just dont get it over and done with.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #49
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
only time limit on my letter is the dealer has 60 days from when I contact him to get the work done

Old August 11th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #50
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Take a look at 5:20 in this video, that's whats going to happen.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Haha wasnt that limo vid from around 9:30 posted by someone on ninjette?

Old August 13th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #51
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Kawasaki is Recalling 11,097 Ninja 300 and 300 ABS motorcycles

WASHINGTON, D.C. – August 9, 2013 – (Motor Sports Newswire) -

RECALL Subject: Motorcycle May Stall under Deceleration Increasing the Risk of a Crash

Report Receipt Date: JUL 29, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V328000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Potential Number of Units Affected: 11,097

Vehicle Make
Model
Model Year(s)
KAWASAKI
NINJA 300
Manufacturer: Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

SUMMARY: Kawasaki Motors Corp. is recalling certain model year 2013 Ninja 300 and 300 ABS motorcycles manufactured July 16, 2012, through April 27, 2013. Due to an improper setting in the Electronic Control Unit (ECU), the motorcycle may stall under deceleration.

CONSEQUENCE: A stall under deceleration increases the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Kawasaki will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ECU. The recall is expected to begin in mid-August 2013. Owners may contact Kawasaki at 1-866-802-9381.

NOTES: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Old August 13th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #52
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I called my dealer this morning, and he confirmed what has been already posted in this thread. They need to take a look at the ECU itself, as a number of them were fixed prior to being released, but Kawi didn't have enough records to confirm which ones were truly fixed. They take a look at the ECU, buried somewhere in the tailsection, and if there is a blue sticker/dot on it already, the ECU has already been updated before the bike was sold. If not, they'll order a new one and plug it in. Unfortunately they say they can't order it until they confirm it visually, as the order has to be tied to the VIN. This makes for a two-step process. But - they said they'd be able to take a look quickly this Saturday, and then order the part for the next weekend if it turns out that it is needed.

As I posted above, this problem doesn't seem to have surfaced on my bike, so I'm curious if mine was one of the ones that was fixed already.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 13th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #53
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I called my dealer this morning, and he confirmed what has been already posted in this thread. They need to take a look at the ECU itself, as a number of them were fixed prior to being released, but Kawi didn't have enough records to confirm which ones were truly fixed. They take a look at the ECU, buried somewhere in the tailsection, and if there is a blue sticker/dot on it already, the ECU has already been updated before the bike was sold. If not, they'll order a new one and plug it in. Unfortunately they say they can't order it until they confirm it visually, as the order has to be tied to the VIN. This makes for a two-step process. But - they said they'd be able to take a look quickly this Saturday, and then order the part for the next weekend if it turns out that it is needed.

As I posted above, this problem doesn't seem to have surfaced on my bike, so I'm curious if mine was one of the ones that was fixed already.
As the guinea pig - I took my bike down to the dealer last Sat and they confirmed my bike needed the new ECU. With a potential ~11,100 units affected in the US...that's probably a lot for the 1st year huh?
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #54
Alex
ninjette.org dude

That would be funny if it turns out that mine doesn't need it, luck of the draw from our dealer picking out which one goes to who that morning last year. I wish it were easier to find sales numbers for particular models per quarter or per year, but it's always hard data to track down. I'm not sure what that 11,000 represents either, over what time period and what percentage during that time period are subject to it.

Old August 13th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #55
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Took mine in yesterday took less than 30 min. I had no issues before or after. Issue is according to my dealer when down shifting those who shift one gear at a time may not notice anything, those who pull both clutch and brake then down shift several gears could have issues. Took the dealer 4 days to get it in.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #56
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

Yup, I called my dealer and my bike needs it too. They said they can't order my part until they get the bike in, and hold it hostage for about 4 working days. It doesn't really matter to me since I'm track-only, but sux that they have to sit on the bike that long, instead of just ordering the part and letting me to to switch it out. ah, stuff happens.
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #57
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
That would be funny if it turns out that mine doesn't need it, luck of the draw from our dealer picking out which one goes to who that morning last year. I wish it were easier to find sales numbers for particular models per quarter or per year, but it's always hard data to track down. I'm not sure what that 11,000 represents either, over what time period and what percentage during that time period are subject to it.
Yeah, sales figures for motos are pretty elusive compared to autos. I remember that morning...I was walking in thru the front door after staring at the 300 parked outside. Sales guy said mine was the one parked in the back

I guess @Jiggles would be the local authority on if anything really did get corrected or not. I know it's not gonna happen but I really want to keep my old ECU...just incase

Old August 13th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #58
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Meh I don't really care, it doesn't affect me at the track
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #59
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Meh I don't really care, it doesn't affect me at the track
If you ever need to sell it, you will want this done. That is the only reason I am getting mine replaced.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...calls-19958476

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #60
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

I took my 300 in yesterday to NCHM in Vista, CA. They REQUIRE the bike be in their possession BEFORE ordering the part. Kinda bullsh*t considering the part is backordered, there were 7 other 300's sitting there waiting for the part, and there is no indication when the part will be delivered. Kawi's covering their ass by trying to take the bikes off the street/track, but then not stepping out and prioritizing the distribution of the new ECU's. Someone's gonna have to bring a class action on this. . .

I never had any issues with my ECU, but I did it anyway, just in case. I still have a bunch of race prep to do before the next round, so if it takes more than a week or so, I'm gonna be pissed. . . .
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #61
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Just go take your bike back
AFM #676

Old August 15th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #62
gibtzumich318
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
I took my 300 in yesterday to NCHM in Vista, CA. They REQUIRE the bike be in their possession BEFORE ordering the part. Kinda bullsh*t considering the part is backordered, there were 7 other 300's sitting there waiting for the part, and there is no indication when the part will be delivered. Kawi's covering their ass by trying to take the bikes off the street/track, but then not stepping out and prioritizing the distribution of the new ECU's. Someone's gonna have to bring a class action on this. . .

I never had any issues with my ECU, but I did it anyway, just in case. I still have a bunch of race prep to do before the next round, so if it takes more than a week or so, I'm gonna be pissed. . . .
The dealer Im taking mine to in VA said they would have the part Saturday. I gave them my VIN over the phone and am scheduled to have the work done. They said it wouldnt take more than an hour... I hope they dont try keeping my bike, I will be pissed.

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #63
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I just emailed my dealer, I didn't receive the letter until the day the part arrived.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post

BTW I just called my dealer and he will order it for me. Said it should take about 2 weeks and he has 30 ECU's already on order. Said he'd call when mine comes int
AFM #676

Old August 16th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #65
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Parts in and I have a 10 am appointment tomorrow.

Old August 16th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #66
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I got a letter today telling me not to ride until I get my ECU replaced. 4000 miles and it stalled once at the end of my driveway. 200 miles ago I installed the area-P pack.

What do you folks think I should do?
I too am wondering what I should do since I have almost 4000 miles and have had NO problems whatsoever. I hate to take to a "stealership" and they eff up something. Decisions Decisions!!

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #67
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
I too am wondering what I should do since I have almost 4000 miles and have had NO problems whatsoever. I hate to take to a "stealership" and they eff up something. Decisions Decisions!!
If you are going to ride it until you leave it in a daisy field or crash it to get a r6, do nothing. If there is a chance you will ever sell it, then you need to get the ecu replaced.

Old August 16th, 2013, 08:33 PM   #68
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Raygan

Motorcycle(s): White 2013 Ninja 300(Storm), Silver 2003 Fjr1300

My dealer call me yesterday to inform me of the recall but I got the letter last week. He said he was confirming that I was going to bring the bike in to them and that he already ordered the part. With over 4600 miles on the bike and it only stalled from pulling the clutch in once I'm not too worried.
S1att3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #69
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Replacement took them about 30 minutes. I was the first customer to have it done. They did do the swap on the demo first. Of the 18 that they will need to do, no one has had the stalling issue.

Old August 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #70
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

The ride feel any different?

Old August 17th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #71
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
The ride feel any different?
Twelve mile twisty spirited ride home and not one bit different from the same ride to the shop. I had the same big smile.

Old August 17th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #72
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

I've experienced the stall more often than I'd like. Plus an unusual variation in revs when deccelerating. Two tuesday's ago I called the dealership in Mesa, the said they'd order the part. 1 week later I got a call, was told to schedule a time to come, i scheudled for friday during my lunch break. Brought the bike in, was there for about 35 minutes and was on my way.

So far no stalling, but I only had the ecu replaced yesterday. The decelerating is a bit smoother in the lower gears. I'll try to see if i can get it to stall by closing the throttle and pulling the clutch but I'm fairly confident the ecu replacement has been successful and painless.

Old August 17th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #73
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Anybody notice any effect on gas mileage? Got the snail mail but haven't made an appointment at the dealer yet.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #74
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Anybody notice any effect on gas mileage? Got the snail mail but haven't made an appointment at the dealer yet.
After I installed the Area-P exhaust with a micro tuner I lost about 3 MPG with the first 2 tanks, but I have significantly more power. Because of the micro tuner I will never know what if any difference the ecu makes.

Old August 17th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #75
gibtzumich318
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Had the recall fixed at the dealership today, less than an hour.

Old August 17th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #76
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
After I installed the Area-P exhaust with a micro tuner I lost about 3 MPG with the first 2 tanks, but I have significantly more power. Because of the micro tuner I will never know what if any difference the ecu makes.
Don't forget that the micro tuner after getting a new ecu from Kwaki needs a new tune since the setup has changed.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #77
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Don't forget that the micro tuner after getting a new ecu from Kwaki needs a new tune since the setup has changed.
@kbryant what are your thoughts

Old August 17th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #78
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Twelve mile twisty spirited ride home and not one bit different from the same ride to the shop. I had the same big smile.

Just got mine done as well (30 mins labor) - nothing noticeable, still the same great bike as from before. Bye bye trusty old ECU...you did your job well

Old August 19th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #79
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
@kbryant what are your thoughts
The actual A/F map is the same.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #80
Ryephile
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 :: Pearl White

I just had my ECU replaced today under the recall campaign. I had my Ninja stall twice, both times when the engine was cold and during a hot and humid day, and both times with the clutch pulled during braking while approaching a stop sign. It seems this was a simple calibration tweak, as the idle control simply didn't catch it in time as the RPM dropped. IMO it's a waste of NHTSA resources as it doesn't appear to be a real risk, just an annoyance at worst.

Anyway, it took my dealer 15 minutes to swap it out, however it took about 10 days for the ECU to come in after I initially visited and they verified my VIN was affected.

The engine feels identical, as it should with such a simple cal change.