ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #41
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Name: Archit

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

after the clipons ill definitely get the ssr preload adjuster as well. its must for this bike.

oh and i forgot to mention. the tyre swap also made a HUGE difference. the michelin pilot street radials offer so much more grip in wet and dry conditions. one try with engine braking showed me the immense grip they offered. irc in my option are nothing but rim protectors. sheesh super duper hard. i was pushing the bike really hard on the track and they still werent getting soft.
shadewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #42
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
wow...my bike looks the opposite right now with it's daily dose of salt, I wash it every week when I clean/lube the chain but it just gets dirty again right away
get opticoat done. cost me 80 usd(5000inr) best money i have ever spent on detailing. water falls right off. a coat of wax a month is all that i need to do now. and yeah i dont use hard covers. get a tyvek or large thick sheet of cloth. works well to keep the bike protected.

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #43
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I swear every time someone mentions a tire change I feel like I'm missing something, I had the stock dunlops (PoS tires that were also 12 years old) on my 250 when I had it and I couldn't go through a corner in the wet at any speed without having the back end slide a bit so my IRC's actually feel like they have loads of grip. Once I get some pirelli diablo rosso II's this summer I may be singing a different tune, I wouldn't even consider getting new tires until I wore these down without hearing so many people complain about them.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:47 AM   #44
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadewalker View Post
get opticoat done. cost me 80 usd(5000inr) best money i have ever spent on detailing. water falls right off. a coat of wax a month is all that i need to do now. and yeah i dont use hard covers. get a tyvek or large thick sheet of cloth. works well to keep the bike protected.
I'll definitely look into it, you can't go wrong making your bike all shiny and nice. One mod you should consider that I don't see on your list is Spencer's seats.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php it's fairly inexpensive and I've heard good things about the improved comfort for longer rides.

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:01 AM   #45
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'll definitely look into it, you can't go wrong making your bike all shiny and nice. One mod you should consider that I don't see on your list is Spencer's seats.
http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php it's fairly inexpensive and I've heard good things about the improved comfort for longer rides.
now that is something i have been looking for. me and my gf both find the rear seat unbearable. any word on how much it would cost?

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:06 AM   #46
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
now that is something i have been looking for. me and my gf both find the rear seat unbearable. any word on how much it would cost?
Cost is listed under FAQ (odd place for it) It looks like $65-100 depending on how much you want the seats upgraded, $50 for the rider's seat, $15 for the passenger and optional "LD" upgrading for extra padding. They look stock afterwards and feel great even without the extra padding that you can get in addition to the main job. I believe you only need to pay for shipping there but don't quote me on that.

it is US based so you'll need to factor that in on the turnaround but they're usually good about that so it shouldn't be too unbearable though shipping to india will likely add a few days.

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #47
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Cost is listed under FAQ (odd place for it) It looks like $65-100 depending on how much you want the seats upgraded, $50 for the rider's seat, $15 for the passenger and optional "LD" upgrading for extra padding. They look stock afterwards and feel great even without the extra padding that you can get in addition to the main job. I believe you only need to pay for shipping there but don't quote me on that.

it is US based so you'll need to factor that in on the turnaround but they're usually good about that so it shouldn't be too unbearable though shipping to india will likely add a few days.
timing is not an issue for me. the ninja isnt my primary vehicle although ive added more kms in lesser time than my car :P. ive sent them a mail asking them to gimme a quote on the swap + shipping.

btw gimme 2 min.. ill take a quick photo of the bike to show u how good the opticoat looks even after 4 months

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #48
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
There u go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2043.jpg (53.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2045.jpg (91.5 KB, 11 views)

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #49
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
that shine is beautiful, I definitely want opticoat this spring. What tank protector is that? I've been considering getting one that covers more space.

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #50
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
that shine is beautiful, I definitely want opticoat this spring. What tank protector is that? I've been considering getting one that covers more space.
i told you. and its super maintenance free. after it being covered in much from the shocker swap all it took was as lightly damp cloth to wipe everything off and the one with a dry cloth. btw make use u use microfibre.

ii buy these in bulk

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Sheen-Shine-M...754c6ce&_uhb=1

and that's a keiti tank protector. i think its good enough. im considering getting traction dots for the side as well. i had a hard time gripping my tank on the track

http://www.keiti.com/goods/goods-ins.php?index_id=608

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #51
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
@shadewalker

Quote:
It makes for a cool pic, but taking a picture of a machine while it's being used isn't really the best idea for shop safety. Know how bad cell phones are for distracting drivers? Same rule applies here.

Your bike looks awesome though. Keep up the good work.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #52
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
hahahahahaha I glanced at the price saw 380 and flipped out before realizing it wasn't in USD. I really like that keiti tank protector too. I haven't felt the need to get stomp grip on the sides of the tank yet, at least not as much as less slippery pegs which I believe are around the same price anyway.

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #53
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
@shadewalker

It makes for a cool pic, but taking a picture of a machine while it's being used isn't really the best idea for shop safety. Know how bad cell phones are for distracting drivers? Same rule applies here.

Your bike looks awesome though. Keep up the good work.
hahaha i know what you mean. btw this i dont have a lathe or a shop :P just some basic tools for diy. this is a lathe guy near my house who was doing it for me. i was just a bystander in this case

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 17th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #54
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
hahahahahaha I glanced at the price saw 380 and flipped out before realizing it wasn't in USD. I really like that keiti tank protector too. I haven't felt the need to get stomp grip on the sides of the tank yet, at least not as much as less slippery pegs which I believe are around the same price anyway.
check pm

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:51 AM   #55
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
hahaha i know what you mean. btw this i dont have a lathe or a shop :P just some basic tools for diy. this is a lathe guy near my house who was doing it for me. i was just a bystander in this case
Well it that case, you have full approval from my corner. Carry on sir.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #56
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Well it that case, you have full approval from my corner. Carry on sir.
not that i dont wish i had my own shop

but i need skill too that comes with fabricating stuff. i think the shocker swap has been my toughest diy yet in terms of mechanical. im usually good with modding comps and making cool stuff for my gf :P

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #57
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Quote:
no pics?
There ya go. Machined from aluminum block. Painted black. Good balance in fell/power with the stock master cylinder and some grippy pads in it.

I had EBC HH sintered in her but just switched to Bikemaster HH pads. After a few hundred miles I think the EBCs had more bite. They have been covered in road salt again and mist/water/ice so I'm reserving judgment just yet.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #58
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post

There ya go. Machined from aluminum block. Painted black. Good balance in fell/power with the stock master cylinder and some grippy pads in it.

I had EBC HH sintered in her but just switched to Bikemaster HH pads. After a few hundred miles I think the EBCs had more bite. They have been covered in road salt again and mist/water/ice so I'm reserving judgment just yet.
am i being too hopeful if i ask u for the drawing of the bracket?

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #59
old3
ninjette.org sage

I can barely take a picture!

I don't have a micrometer handy if you wanted specs. It wasn't very hard to figure out. My friend laid it out with scrap first. Centered the caliper on the rotor. Scribed a few lines on a piece of plate and found the holes. Offset was easy. It is just a stepped piece.

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #60
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I can barely take a picture!

I don't have a micrometer handy if you wanted specs. It wasn't very hard to figure out. My friend laid it out with scrap first. Centered the caliper on the rotor. Scribed a few lines on a piece of plate and found the holes. Offset was easy. It is just a stepped piece.
hahaha. keeps the mystery alive :P

ok ill definitely take it to the machine guy and see if he can figure it out.. step one would be to find a good caliper.

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #61
old3
ninjette.org sage

I think if he sees that pic it is pretty simple to duplicate with the parts in his hands.

Old January 17th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #62
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I think if he sees that pic it is pretty simple to duplicate with the parts in his hands.
i would definitely need a better picture

Old January 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #63
old3
ninjette.org sage

I'll get one in the day light buddy. NP. Maybe not shake the phone either?

And a few angles too. It was a hurried task, I'll admit!

Old January 17th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #64
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'll get one in the day light buddy. NP. Maybe not shake the phone either?

And a few angles too. It was a hurried task, I'll admit!
that would be awesome

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #65
old3
ninjette.org sage

Side shot.

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #66
old3
ninjette.org sage

View from top/rear. The bolts are held by a nut which is between the rotor and fork leg mounting ear.

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #67
old3
ninjette.org sage

This shot is from the front and looking up from underneath it.

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:35 PM   #68
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Much much much appreciated.. Thanks

Old January 17th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #69
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Much much much appreciated.. Thanks

Old January 17th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #70
old3
ninjette.org sage

Once was enough!

Best I can do without a good measuring caliper or such, the outer face is just a hair more than 14mm thick. A 15mm wrench is loose, the 14mm wrench almost fits on it, it might but would scratch my paint for sure. That is the section the bolts pass thru in the first pic. Basically, 14-15mm from the outer face of my mount to the outer face of the fork boss. That will get you in the ballpark.

It was milled from a single block but welding a few steel parts up might be easier.

Old January 17th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #71
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Once was enough!

Best I can do without a good measuring caliper or such, the outer face is just a hair more than 14mm thick. A 15mm wrench is loose, the 14mm wrench almost fits on it, it might but would scratch my paint for sure. That is the section the bolts pass thru in the first pic. Basically, 14-15mm from the outer face of my mount to the outer face of the fork boss. That will get you in the ballpark.

It was milled from a single block but welding a few steel parts up might be easier.
Hmmm.. Now this could take some time.. Time to go caliper hunting on eBay and the guy I know:-D

Old January 17th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #72
old3
ninjette.org sage

FWIW my buddy who milled it said it would have been easier to build a mount for a radial caliper. The Tokico was super cheap, and very available so I don't worry about finding another if I need it. Plus it works very well so it is all good.

Old January 17th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #73
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
FWIW my buddy who milled it said it would have been easier to build a mount for a radial caliper. The Tokico was super cheap, and very available so I don't worry about finding another if I need it. Plus it works very well so it is all good.
If that's the case then I'm golden coz its way easier to get my hands on a brand new radial caliper for next to nothing.. I have a couple of friends who swapped their stock calipers for brembos.. Ill definitely have to get a bigger rotor though..

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #74
old3
ninjette.org sage

I've got a 320mm GSXR (pre 04 iirc), rotor from a buddy that I'll be building a new center for to bolt it to the Ninja hub, then a new caliper mount to follow unless I get my CBR fork conversion finished first.

The CBR rotors are 330mm. That would be a nice choice too, but here they are a lil rare. GSXR parts are littering the streets!

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:46 PM   #75
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I've got a 320mm GSXR (pre 04 iirc), rotor from a buddy that I'll be building a new center for to bolt it to the Ninja hub, then a new caliper mount to follow unless I get my CBR fork conversion finished first.

The CBR rotors are 330mm. That would be a nice choice too, but here they are a lil rare. GSXR parts are littering the streets!
That's just what I was thinking.. Why are there so many Gixxer parts up for grabs. Crashes or just poor quality which makes people want to upgrade..

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #76
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
That's just what I was thinking.. Why are there so many Gixxer parts up for grabs. Crashes or just poor quality which makes people want to upgrade..
Ultimate squid bike. Many crashed or abused/neglected to an early grave.

Old January 17th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #77
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Had a feeling.. Even the ktm duke 200 and 390 are major squid bikes.. I was at the workshop yesterday and there was a brand new 390 with both rims bent and one 200 with a bent front axle.. Within a week of selling the 200 there were close to 30 crashed bikes in the workshop.. Lol.. Can't even begin to imagine what would happen if these people were given an inline 4..worst part is that there isn't any formality needed for a license.. Just pay 30 dollars and u have ur drivers license which covers cars and bikes..

Old January 17th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #78
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Yay clipons are here but I can't install them till the 24th..i just left for a different state to a friends wedding.. So bearings and clipons shall be done together.

Old January 17th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #79
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Btw I have a small. Doubt about the shocker install. The top mounting on the shocker uses a thinner nut and bushing than the 300 so I basically used the same bolt that came out of the Gixxer dogbone.. Is that ok? Or should I change it?

Old January 18th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #80
old3
ninjette.org sage

Drill the shock bushing. A good bit will go right thru it, then use the Ninja hardware. You need to drill the lower shock mount hole too, as well as widen the opening for the linkage to fit into.