Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 1st, 2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool How does a gas pump shut off automatically when the gas tank is full?

Copied from
http://www.pa.msu.edu/sciencet/ask_st/122591.html

When your gas gauge reads empty, your tank is filled with air instead of fuel. As you add fuel, the air must move out of the tank to make way for the gas. Next time you fill your car at the gas station, take a look at the pump nozzle. You will find a hole about a half inch from the end of the nozzle. This hole is connected to a small pipe that travels through the nozzle to the handle.

When you fill your gas tank, some of the displaced air flows through the hole in the nozzle into the pipe. When the tank is full, the hole will be below the gasoline level and no air will pass through the pipe. A mechanical switch inside the nozzle detects when the flow of air stops and shuts off the gas.

You may have noticed that, after the pump shuts off, you can get more gas in your tank by pulling the nozzle out of the tank a bit. This is because you are moving the position of the hole relative to the gas level and allowing the mechanical switch to reopen.

Conklin also explained how the replacement of the hole controls how full the tank can get before the pump shuts off.

For example, fuel oil tanks typically hold about 275 gallons of fuel. The filling mechanism indicates that the oil flow should be shut off when the tank is about 25 gallons short of being full to allow for fuel expansion as the temperature increases.

Auto fuel pumps also must be set so they leave a little extra room.

Learn more about gasoline dispensers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dispenser

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2015, 06:13 PM   #2
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Name: D.

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 ABS

Very cool. But NOTHING is more annoying than the pump that clicks off with every drop of gas it pumps. Like the minute it starts flowing gas, CLICK. Ugh...so annoying!!!

(Sorry, please excuse this slight venting episode. We now return to regularly scheduled discussion).

D.
DSomething is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2015, 10:06 PM   #3
Hercules Zanzibar!!!
ninjette.org member

Name: G Money

Motorcycle(s): That's a silly question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSomething View Post
Very cool. But NOTHING is more annoying than the pump that clicks off with every drop of gas it pumps. Like the minute it starts flowing gas, CLICK. Ugh...so annoying!!!

(Sorry, please excuse this slight venting episode. We now return to regularly scheduled discussion).

D.
I see what you did there.
Hercules Zanzibar!!! is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2015, 08:22 AM   #4
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSomething View Post
But NOTHING is more annoying than the pump that clicks off with every drop of gas it pumps. Like the minute it starts flowing gas, CLICK. Ugh...so annoying!!
Why does this happen? Does it mean the hole the air goes through is clogged? It happened to me once before. I just told the gas attendant then moved on to another pump.
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2015, 04:12 PM   #5
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Name: D.

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Zanzibar!!! View Post
I see what you did there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfman View Post
Why does this happen? Does it mean the hole the air goes through is clogged? It happened to me once before. I just told the gas attendant then moved on to another pump.
No clue. Maybe that tube the article above describes is loose? It's happened to me more than once...and then I stand there like a schmuck moving the pump around in the tank to find that sweet spot, and always to no avail Hate it!

D.
DSomething is offline   Reply With Quote