ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #81
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

crank case - just in case - me thinks ya made a pun...
heh-

Yes get the extended warranty - or give the bike to the wifey and let the good times roll- I-KID I KID
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #82
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

Woohoo. I was feeling left out there for a bit. I got my recall letter today.
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #83
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
IMO, it's in a high stress area of the crank case being near the output shaft.

HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #84
BuckBuck#1
ninjette.org member

Name: Guy

Motorcycle(s): Now 2009 Ninja 250: Previously CB900, DL650, VLX600, GN250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckBuck#1 View Post
My bike appears to be okay, the inspection was an 'external'.
Spoke to Kawasaki New Zealand - Technical Services this morning and pleased to hear that the pressure test was carried out carried.
BuckBuck#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #85
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

I'd bet that the threebond they are using is stronger than the amount of aluminum that is missing. As long as it is properly applied it should out last the bike.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #86
lobsterback
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckBuck#1 View Post
Spoke to Kawasaki New Zealand - Technical Services this morning and pleased to hear that the pressure test was carried out carried.
Just had mine in for 1000km service. They only decided to do a check after i was ready to pick it up, they almost forgot. Found a leak by shining a torch at it/through it (explains the oil on my drive). Told me not such an issue and they will contact Kawa NZ. Kawa replied that my serial number was not in the range with the issue. Had to take it back in today for them to do the pressure test. And hello bubbles... Starting to think i have purchased a dud for my first bike as well as it costing me more money on gas and time off work to keep going back in. Wonder if kawa really know how wide spread the issue is.
lobsterback is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #87
blackRod
ninjette.org member

Name: Rod

Motorcycle(s): Honda DIO2 trike; 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterback View Post
Just had mine in for 1000km service. They only decided to do a check after i was ready to pick it up, they almost forgot. Found a leak by shining a torch at it/through it (explains the oil on my drive). Told me not such an issue and they will contact Kawa NZ. Kawa replied that my serial number was not in the range with the issue. Had to take it back in today for them to do the pressure test. And hello bubbles... Starting to think i have purchased a dud for my first bike as well as it costing me more money on gas and time off work to keep going back in. Wonder if kawa really know how wide spread the issue is.
This is getting serious and worldwide. Hope those units that flew in does not display this symptoms.
blackRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #88
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

quick question, I'm not able to check my vin right now, so, i was wondering...
I haven't had the chance to ride as much as I would like this year due to the weather, but I have noticed when I go to wash the bike that there is what seems to me like a large amount of thick oil buildup on the inside of the faring just in front of the side stand.
I now realize that this is also right below the crank case, where this problem is.
does this sound like it could be the problem? I won't be able to get it check until spring now, unless we get some good weather for a week or so.
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #89
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Sounds like it might be the problem, unless you use excessive chain lube.
The sprocket cover has a little hole by the shifter output arm that lets chain lube out. If what you see if very very thick and not runny at all, it's chain lube. If what you see is thin like a lubricant and brownish when you touch it, it's oil.. and that's a bad sign.

I'd say EVERYONE should check their bike or have it checked for this problem.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #90
gizmogamez
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE Green

well it is thick, not like oil leaking out of my car, so i didn't think it was oil at first, however, it's also a dark brown or almost black colour, and the chain lube I use is clear and I always clean my chain before applying any decent amount of lube (lube touch up every 500km, clean chain and good re lube every 1000km).
The lube I do use is not supposed to drip or spray off, and I don't notice excessive lube anywhere else on the bike....

guess I'll get it checked out.

thx
gizmogamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #91
sixer
no joy

Gizmo-

Yeah id get it checked it- also check the generator wires if they are oily to the touch its def not chain lube-

Goin to pick my bike up ina few...BBL

Old December 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #92
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I was just down there recently changing my oil and noticed what seemed like a lot of oil spray coming off the chain, which was not there around 1000 miles ago on the last oil change. further inspection when hot showed that it seems to be coming from the crank case and dripping onto the sprocket (extremely slowly... maybe 1 drop an hour max...), causing the fling. its very thick and dark like gizmogamez described. I don't exactly have anything that can pressurize to 5psi that i can easily attach to test with soapy water, and my bike isn't on the recall list, so i figured i would do the repair under the assumption that even if the leak isn't there, having some extra epoxy on the outside of an already weak crank case probably isn't going to do any bad, if its not doing good.
i'm hoping that once i get it opened up and cleaned out i'll be able to see some sort of crack or something, but from the outside i can't see anything specifically wrong with it.
i will be doing this tomorrow, so hopefully i'll be reporting back a success with some photos.

Old December 20th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #93
sixer
no joy

Alex- take it to the dealer!! they were cool about checkin my bike and makin the diagnosis (sp) ... you still under warranty?...

Been meaning to get back with y'all... evidently they deliverd the kit a day early (thur) and called me while i was out with my bike, so i brought the bike directly to the dealer- sans camera- i will be doin an oil change and chain lube (mon) so i'll take a pic of the "fix" then... no oil dots where i park my bike @ night so i feel good about that...
Dealer reciept:

Merry CHRISTmass

Old December 20th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #94
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

I wanna know seeing as the 2008's havernt been recalled, what did they do to cause the 09-10 have this problem. I miss my 08 it had no problems. I am wondering can you refuse the bog job and request that you wish for a part that doesn't have known fault be put in it's place.
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 20th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #95
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
so after taking the left side of my bike apart and giving it a good cleaning, i couldn't see any damage visible. "hunh" i thought. so i tried the soapy water+5psi test using a small hand pump, and... what do you know... nothing! so i cleaned it up and cleaned my chain and relubed it. i even tried running it for a short while with nothing visibly leaking. once i got it home, however i noticed my chain/sprocket cover was covered in that same dark oily sludgy substance again!... so i did some more testing and found that one of the kinds of chain lube i use, when mixed with dirt and water looks exactly like the sludge found around my sprocket... apparently some dirt got into my sprocket cover, and some of the chain lube flung off into that dirt to make this nice sludge. so there you go, chain lube fooled me into thinking i had holes in my engine!

I did notice lots of small (under 1/2mm) bubbles in the casting at the locations described in the recall bulletin, but they seemed much smaller and not deep enough to do any damage. and they for sure aren't leaking at 5psi so i'm going to leave it for now and check it again in a month or so.

Old October 9th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #96
RONALD915
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ronald

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

So I think that my bike might have an oil leak in the affected area of the recall. But my VIN number is not in the range. I called Kawasaki to see if they can help me but there's nothing that they can do since my VIN don't fall in that category. Is there anyway I can have this bike inspected by the dealer, without the expense of paying for the inspection? Or what if they inspect it and they do find that my bike is one of the defective units. Since my VIN is not within that range, will Kawasaki take care it?
RONALD915 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2015, 09:56 AM   #97
sixer
no joy

Wow old thread, I since moved on to a ninja 636, but RONALD915, i went to the dealership and told them i have a leak then i showed them a print out of the recall... didnt matter if my vin wasnt on the list they inspected the bike and came to the conclusion that yes it was the recall issue they told Kawi and the work was done for free...in this case its a defect, so im sure warranty wont matter... its a known issue- i think you should try it but make sure you bring a print-out of the bulletin of the recall... like i seys my bike wasnt on the list...
peas

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 9th, 2015, 10:06 AM   #98
RONALD915
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ronald

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer View Post
Wow old thread, I since moved on to a ninja 636, but RONALD915, i went to the dealership and told them i have a leak then i showed them a print out of the recall... didnt matter if my vin wasnt on the list they inspected the bike and came to the conclusion that yes it was the recall issue they told Kawi and the work was done for free...in this case its a defect, so im sure warranty wont matter... its a known issue- i think you should try it but make sure you bring a print-out of the bulletin of the recall... like i seys my bike wasnt on the list...
peas
Thanks, much appreciated. I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
RONALD915 is offline   Reply With Quote