ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 13th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Devita818
ninjette.org member

Name: Eli

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Rear Brake Light Trouble

Ok so here is the deal guys. I bought a rear set off ebay I took everything apart reassembled everything just fine except the rear brake light switch due to the fact that I wanted to adjust the spring while it was on the bike because of the tight fit. Anyways I went to tug on it to see how much pressure it took to activate the rear brake and nothing happened. Im not an idiot so I went to the front brake and the second filment lit up so not a problem with the bulb. I figured it had to be the switch so I took it off and it happens that my buddy has a 250r aswell went over plugged it in to his bike and sure enough not a problem with the light switch so what now? Any suggestions?
Devita818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:47 AM   #2
Devita818
ninjette.org member

So im guessing that all of you are as stumped as I am?

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:56 AM   #3
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

fuses?
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #4
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Without looking at my bike, believe there is adjustment to this switch. Should be able to activate the switch manually to confirm its working and light is on. Adjust this and see what happens.

Old April 14th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #5
garth285
KAWASAKI GURU

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Turbo Ninja 250

The front and rear brake light switch is on the same electrical circuit so I'd guess that its a connector issue, make sure the plug your plugging into is corrosion free. Maybe try plugging the rear brake switch back in and seeing if it will work now? I have seen a intermittent switch before, you can hook up a multi meter and put it on ohms and make sure there is little to no resistance (ZERO OHMS) when you activate the switch.

The tail light fuse also supplys power to your meter lights as well so if those go out that could be an indication.

I'd double check your switch again and make sure its activating with a multi meter for starters.
garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #6
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

@garth285

actually if you use the continuity test it works better, beeps if the electrical path is connected. Just test it on the switch when its disconnected and it will tell you if the switch works, shouldn't beep when switch is open, beeps when is.

Old April 14th, 2015, 07:24 AM   #7
garth285
KAWASAKI GURU

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Turbo Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
@garth285

actually if you use the continuity test it works better, beeps if the electrical path is connected. Just test it on the switch when its disconnected and it will tell you if the switch works, shouldn't beep when switch is open, beeps when is.
CORRECT! most meters also will show the ohms as well as beep. I know my fluke does but not sure if hes got a meter to try it with.
garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #8
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
CORRECT! most meters also will show the ohms as well as beep. I know my fluke does but not sure if hes got a meter to try it with.
I got an extech, it does show the ohms too but the beep is just quicker to go off of.

If he doesn't have a meter I suggest investing in one.

Old April 14th, 2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Devita818
ninjette.org member

I have checked all fuses none blown

Took the switch off completely and tested it on another ninja250r switch works when manually pulled so I don't believe there is anything wrong with the switch

There is no corrosion on the connectors and either male or female end

pulled the entire wire out and no fraying on the casings

front brake causes the brake light to illuminate so its not the bulb.

I have a multimeter at work will grab today but if the switch works on another bike what could the problem be besides connection im going to try and spray electrical grease after work idk any other suggestions are greatly appreciated

Old April 14th, 2015, 08:25 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

You said you checked the filaments of the bulb on the front, so not a bulb issue. Checked the switch on your buddies 250 and it worked. Test the switch then but if that not it I would check the connections of the rear set. Perhaps there is an issue connection wise on the set you got.

Old April 14th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Ok, so it sounds like you have done a decent amount of troubleshooting.

Now, let me ask a simple question. If you install the switch on your bike and pull it manually, does it light up?

Rear brake light issue;
Front lever = light on
bulb working = yes
Rear brake lever = no light
Pull spring manually = ???
Adjust brake lever to active light = ??

You just might need a shorter spring if you can't adjust it out.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Devita818
ninjette.org member

Ok to clarify everything I pulled the entire switch and cord off my bike and took it to my buddy who also has a ninja 250 plugged it in and pulled it manually and it worked (pull manually while connected to my bike and nothing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ok, so it sounds like you have done a decent amount of troubleshooting.

Now, let me ask a simple question. If you install the switch on your bike and pull it manually, does it light up? No pulled manually on my bike and nothing happens (connect to my buddys and no problems)

Rear brake light issue;
Front lever = light on Correct
bulb working = yes Correct
Rear brake lever = no light Correct
Pull spring manually = ??? Nothing happens while connected to my bike
Adjust brake lever to active light = ??Not relevant while pulling manually

You just might need a shorter spring if you can't adjust it out.

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:48 PM   #13
Devita818
ninjette.org member

Thank you for the reply but im afraid that's not an issue as I am pulling the switch manually completely independent from the rear set. Although I will tell you that the rear set off ebay 150 bucks looks nice and performs so far except for the fact that the shifter is tucked so close to the kickstand that it makes it hard to find but I digress
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
You said you checked the filaments of the bulb on the front, so not a bulb issue. Checked the switch on your buddies 250 and it worked. Test the switch then but if that not it I would check the connections of the rear set. Perhaps there is an issue connection wise on the set you got.

Old April 15th, 2015, 07:26 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It would seem there has to be something wrong between the switch and light then. Can you tone out the wire with a meter testing for continuity?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #15
Devita818
ninjette.org member

I keep forgetting to grab my multi meter from work but all I could think of is a faulty connection for some reason but idk why that would bea problem never gone down bought brand new in 2012 all the work ive done myself maybe it has something to do with my aftermarket mods and farkles but the only thingive done to the light harness was the liscense plate light. Im going to try a few more things and then throw in the towel and try and find a capable shop that will take it on

PS I just got my shipment from SPORTISI Indonesia with my new tire hugger ive tried to get ahold of that tire hugger since I bought my bike in 2012 expensive shipping now to get an order from Empire Moto Shop and ill be so Fing happy
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
It would seem there has to be something wrong between the switch and light then. Can you tone out the wire with a meter testing for continuity?

Old April 18th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #16
Devita818
ninjette.org member

OK so I went ahead and grabbed my multi meter from work and it appears that the switch is making contact as I expected I guess I now have to test the wires leading to the light im waiting on a buddy that works on car stereos and such to get back to me and possibly help me out if I still cant figure it out.

I don't think this is relevant but idk but I just installed a koso rx2 gp style guage with the plug and play kit and I had also previously installed the flasher relay fix

Old April 18th, 2015, 07:50 PM   #17
Devita818
ninjette.org member

Allright I want to thank everybody for there help so I went ahead and did a continuity test and of course there was a non connection in one of the wires but I couldn't figure it out. after being frustrated I regrouped and decided to go back at it. So I looked at everything and decided to peal back the tape and found a small wire sticking out from the brake light wires. Basically I guess when me and my buddy wired up my Hotbodies Undertail over a year ago we cut the power wire to the rear brake and must have used the front brake to check everything.