ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #81
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Shock/spring currently on eebay for fiddy doll hairs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Not_the_problem.jpg (49.5 KB, 7 views)

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #82
accident-prone

Yes. Thank you for your confidence in what I was saying.

Dealer checked it out top to bottom. Had the lightest guy at the shop test it - he's 135lbs and didn't have a problem. With gear it's probably the perfect bike for a rider of that size. Found out the stock rear shock is for someone who is 142lbs and they don't make a softer spring for it. The ride was a little smoother than it has been riding out to the dealership, and I realize I was riding with 10 or 12lbs on my back, bringing me up to 120lbs. It still was super stiff, but not nearly as bad. Amazing that that little weight makes such a big difference on these little bikes. I did some more reading on it at the shop, and indeed, all the good reviews are from riders who found the older 250 shock bottomed out - I found the older 250 shock to be everything I needed.

So, as I said previously, I need an aftermarket shock for the newer 250. If anyone knows of one used, please let me know - as the only one that is aftermarket and under $900 (progressive) is a linear move to what I have...as are the stock newer 250 shocks on ebay. The older ones bolt differently and I'm pretty sure won't fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorguy View Post
I hope to hear what the final result of this is...whether there is really a shock issue, another issue causing the "shaking", or is it just a relatively stiff suspension with a 110 pound rider? I weigh 190, have the rear shock set in position 2 and I think it is relatively stiff. Which I think is a good thing for this bike. But I come from a dual sport background. If I weighed 110 and was in the lightest position (1) would the relative stiffness be the same or close? I can see how, at speed, she feels the ride is a little too firm.....her complaint is only at high speed, which could be difficult for her Kawi service dept. to duplicate..........

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #83
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...so the issue is still the damping. Not the spring.

But anyhow, all 250 and 300 shocks are physically interchangeable. They all bolt up to the same mounts. Just fyi.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #84
accident-prone

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...so the issue is still the damping. Not the spring.

But anyhow, all 250 and 300 shocks are physically interchangeable. They all bolt up to the same mounts. Just fyi.
It just doesn't make sense not to get the right spring if I'm getting something that will adjust the dampening. Not sure why that needs to be an issue.

Are you completely sure that an older 250 shock is the same dimensions as the newer 250 shock? I know the newer 250 and the 300 are interchangeable, but it looks like the mounting area is different on the older 250s. It would make things easier if this is true, but I don't want to order something that won't work.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #85
accident-prone

Since adding weight definitely makes it ride a bit better, I think I have my answer. However, if you come across a used adjustable rear shock for a newer 250, I will strap on some sandbags and run over there to pick it up. How about that?

And thanks for the offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I trust the dealership about as far as I can throw them because most good mechanics are worth more then what a dealership pays and don't stick around long, so the ones that are left are simply wrench turners.

I'm not a qualified mechanic, I don't weight 110lbs, and I don't own a 300 but I believe those things to be irrelevant to understanding a motorcycle. What I do have is many years of racing experience most at the world and national levels(I'm not your local AFM fast guy, Im much faster ) and I ride a 250 more then most and much harder then most so I understand its strength and flaws better then the average rider.

Ill make you the same offer I made to Jiggles when he had his handling problem with his Ninja 1000. You can ride your bike out to my shop in Livermore and we can go for a quick ride(both of us) so I can visually see the problem your dealing with. If you feel comfortable with it(most wouldn't and i understand) ill even ride the bike myself to confirm wether its a weight problem or something more serious. Afterwards if I think its a quick fix ill ether try something or give you my opinion and you can do with it what you want. Oh yeah ill even do all this for FREE since I just like helping out other riders understand their bike just a little bit more. They say their is no such thing as a free lunch and yet here it is

Don't mind my earlier post, like many other I have a sarcastic sense of humor and couldn't resist the temptation seeing how this thread got so heated so quickly.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #86
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

A-P, do you bother to read all the replies?

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #87
accident-prone

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
A-P, do you bother to read all the replies?

You mean the picture with no link that I couldn't find on Ebay? Yeah, I saw that.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #88
old3
ninjette.org sage

No.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #89
accident-prone

I'm sorry I thought I could get help on here. I'm out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
No.

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #90
old3
ninjette.org sage

There is plenty of it that you choose to ignore. Bye!

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #91
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by accident-prone View Post
I'm sorry I thought I could get help on here. I'm out.
No problem. /removed

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Closed Thread