ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 26th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Bought a rear seat cowl, but there's parts missing?

I bought a rear seat cowl from a local store, but the rubber grommets are missing, and the triangular seat pad is missing. I think the lock pin is also missing.

Is this normal, do these things really need to be ordered separately, or should it have come completely assembled?
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2015, 07:29 PM   #2
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
should all come with the cowl

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #3
ftheshack
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 & 1984 Harley Ironhead 1000

I bought an OEM Kawi cowl and it included everything needed to install it.
ftheshack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Return it, and find a complete one, I'm guessing the one you have was on sale/cheap, know you know why.

Hopefully you can return it.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #5
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

An update on this situation.....

The seat cowl was ordered directly from Kawasaki, who said they had the part in stock one day, and out of stock the next day.

Now the only thing they offer is a "parts kit" where you have to order each individual part, and each part has a drastically inflated price, totaling more than double the original assembled cost of the seat cowl. Just the seat pad and all the hardware to make the cowl fit and lock down (grommets, screws, etc.) was over $150, and the cowl itself was over $100. And no, I didn't pay extra for those parts, the dealer is making Kawasaki fix the order at Kawasaki's expense.

$250 for a complete rear cowl parts kit when the MSRP for the assembled cowl is half that??? WTF are they smoking over at Kawasaki these days???

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 9th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #6
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
WTF are they smoking over at Kawasaki these days???
idk, but i want some

Old October 12th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #7
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
An update on this situation.....

The seat cowl was ordered directly from Kawasaki, who said they had the part in stock one day, and out of stock the next day.

Now the only thing they offer is a "parts kit" where you have to order each individual part, and each part has a drastically inflated price, totaling more than double the original assembled cost of the seat cowl. Just the seat pad and all the hardware to make the cowl fit and lock down (grommets, screws, etc.) was over $150, and the cowl itself was over $100. And no, I didn't pay extra for those parts, the dealer is making Kawasaki fix the order at Kawasaki's expense.

$250 for a complete rear cowl parts kit when the MSRP for the assembled cowl is half that??? WTF are they smoking over at Kawasaki these days???
not sure if I understand you correctly, however I think one reason for this is increase margins on replacement parts. As is the usual. If you were to buy all of the parts to build an engine it would be much more expensive than buying a new crate engine.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #8
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
not sure if I understand you correctly, however I think one reason for this is increase margins on replacement parts. As is the usual. If you were to buy all of the parts to build an engine it would be much more expensive than buying a new crate engine.
I understand profit margins on parts, but when the catalog listing for the rear seat cowl shows a fully assembled unit, and they only shipped the cowl cover, that's a problem, but the even bigger problem is expecting the person who ordered the cowl to know that they also needed all the other parts too.

Even the guys at the bike shop expected the cowl to arrive fully assembled.

Old October 12th, 2015, 09:00 PM   #9
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Yes, that is ridiculous!

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #10
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

So I FINALLY received all the parts for my cowl after the main lock bar was on back order for 2 months, but no assembly instructions....

So can anyone who has the official Kawasaki rear seat cowl please post some close-up pics of the underside of their cowl so I can get this thing assembled?

Old December 18th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #11
manumid
ninjette.org member

Name: Manuel

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
So I FINALLY received all the parts for my cowl after the main lock bar was on back order for 2 months, but no assembly instructions....

So can anyone who has the official Kawasaki rear seat cowl please post some close-up pics of the underside of their cowl so I can get this thing assembled?

Hey man, that was very weird.
When I bought the seat cowl, like the other guys, it came with all the parts.

Here are the original instructions manual. It's an easy procedure, and in 15 minutes you got the seat ready to install.

EDIT: When I uploaded the images here, they were compressed, and possibly you won't be able to read them.

Here are the same images uploaded on other site (better quality):

Hope you can assemble it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151218_154243408.jpg (68.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151218_154255931.jpg (42.4 KB, 2 views)
manumid is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 10:54 AM   #12
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

I have 2 sets of rubber dampers, 1 pair is taller and smaller in diameter, and the other pair is wider in diameter but much shorter.

It looks like those instructions say to put the shorter wider ones in front on the locking pin bar, and the others on the back.

When I did that nothing fit right when I tried to put the cowl on the bike, but when I put the taller ones on the locking pin bar, it fit just right.

I'm just worried about how loose these rubber things fit....

Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:56 PM   #13
manumid
ninjette.org member

Mmm, are you sure that these rubber dampers are the correct for this seat cowl, right? (I don't think that they've sended a wrong ones). The big (diameter) rubber dampers, like the manual says, go on the front, like in this picture:

Be careful on fitting the rear part of the seat. You must do it very gently or the "O-ring" can leave out. In this case, try put some grease on it.

If you can lock the front pin (you can do a slightly force to get it), then the rubbers are OK. If not, I am thinking that these rubbers have something weird..

Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:35 PM   #14
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

I compared the rubber damper height to the original rear seat. Comparing the height of the locking pin to the height of the dampers on both locking bars.

When I used the taller dampers in the front it matched the height of the dampers on the original rear seat, and it locked in place just right, no wobbling around.

When I used the shorter dampers in the front it was too low and wobbled around in the lock once installed on the bike.

For now I think I'm going to stick with the taller ones in the front, and maybe secure all the dampers in place with some rubber cement so they won't fall out.

And I've heard many stories about that O-Ring grommet getting lost, that's why I used some black Gorilla Tape to hold it in place underneath so it can't be seen.

Old December 25th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #15
manumid
ninjette.org member

All right, if you don't lose these rubbers and if the seat fits good, then I think it's good enough.. these rubbers are only to "rest" in the chasis so it's no problem.

Merry Christmas!