ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 31st, 2016, 01:41 PM   #1
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

motorcycle storage options

I don't have a garage at my place and I need to find a solution to park this thing over night. My options at this point seem to be buy a small shed, or buy/build a ramp to ride it up the 5 stairs to my covered porch(about 12'x25').

I am trying to keep this as cheap as possible lol

What are you guys with no garage doing every night? Help me out here.
3ØØ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
If I were in your position, I'd build a ramp, no question. Open porches can't build up humidity.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2016, 02:30 PM   #3
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
If I were in your position, I'd build a ramp, no question. Open porches can't build up humidity.
its an open, covered porch, but wouldnt the morning dew wetting the bike have the same effect as sitting in a humid shed?

Old August 31st, 2016, 02:51 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ØØ View Post
its an open, covered porch, but wouldnt the morning dew wetting the bike have the same effect as sitting in a humid shed?
No, humid sheds are worse. Morning dew dries off. Humid sheds eat metal parts full-time. That's not to say you couldn't put vents in the shed. In fact you could put a dehumidifier in there. I'd just go for the porch, especially since you said cost is important.

On a porch, off the ground and with a roof, a cheap cover would probably keep dew off the bike.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2016, 03:26 PM   #5
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
No, humid sheds are worse. Morning dew dries off. Humid sheds eat metal parts full-time. That's not to say you couldn't put vents in the shed. In fact you could put a dehumidifier in there. I'd just go for the porch, especially since you said cost is important.

On a porch, off the ground and with a roof, a cheap cover would probably keep dew off the bike.
gotcha. the metal shed(8'x10') i was looking at has 4 vents, and it comes with a metal floor frame that i need to add wood to in order to make a platform/base for the shed, so it will be off the ground a few inches. so maybe it would be humidity safe, to some degree?

im ooking at those aluminum ramps they use to load bikes into pickups. i need something wide enough to ride up and have enough room to put both feet down if necessary. at least 24"? i need to figure out how long it needs to be too, so its not a ridiculous incline. my 4 or 5 stairs(forgot how many lol), are not that high up anyway, so i shouldn't need anything too long. im gues i need to get a piece of plywood or a board, lean it down the stairs, and check the incline

Old August 31st, 2016, 05:03 PM   #6
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Breathable motorcycle cover.

It's not a perfect world...
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote