ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Opinions on Icon Field Armor Vest

This vest caught my eye and I was wondering if anyone has ever used it or knows more about it:

Seems like its a decent piece of protective gear. Is it designed to be worn outside or inside the jacket? Anyone have additionali nput on it?
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #2
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

I have the stryker which was $110. if your wearing something bulky like a jacket under, if your going riding in a t-shirt it goes over t-shirt even though it should always be over shirt. It is not a bad piece it adjusts good no bulky feeling. I do not own a motorcycle yet but i have worn the vest a few times and i'v had no complaints you have the ce back protecter and some foam around the sides im not sure if its same product but same brand just different design.
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #3
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Checked it out when I was shopping for a protective vest. I was attracted by its low price. When I saw it in store, I was a bit turned off by its lack of quality compared to higher priced vests. It's certainly not bad but I do believe you get what you pay for with this one. Still a good value if you're looking for something basic. I shelled out some more cash for a different vest that to me felt like a worthwhile upgrade on protection and quality.

FYI, for about $10 more you can get the Icon Stryker Vest which is based on the same basic design with some cosmetic changes but the back protector is CE1 rated and I believe some of the foam has also been upgraded.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #4
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

get the stryker vest for $10more and you're getting a much more better product than the field armor. I have it and I like it.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #5
rusninja

haha kaiserz so thats what you ended up getting. :P

Old May 21st, 2011, 06:37 AM   #6
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Thanks guys.

I'll check out the Stryker as well.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2011, 06:43 AM   #7
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
haha kaiserz so thats what you ended up getting. :P
hahah yeah bro (:

Old May 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM   #8
rusninja

If your torn where to get it revzilla's a good place no tax and shipping if you pick shopping there.

Old May 21st, 2011, 03:14 PM   #9
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
If your torn where to get it revzilla's a good place no tax and shipping if you pick shopping there.
+ you get $5 towards your next purchase (; ($100 worth = $5 revcashthingy $200 = $10 revcashthingy) and their costumer service is awesome!

Old May 21st, 2011, 07:55 PM   #10
rusninja

I forgot to mention that too x]

Old May 21st, 2011, 08:18 PM   #11
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

i personally would get armor that includes shoulders and forearms

but then again, i did buy the a* bionic armor 2, and just sold it
i found out i'd rather get a jacket, preferably leather, that has a lot of perforation and all the armor

i wore my friend's icon field armor b4 and i just didnt like it
i felt like my arms were vulnerable
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2011, 10:10 PM   #12
rusninja

Because the arms are vulnerable thats why if you care about your arms you wear a jacket which is standard with shoulder and elbow armour. XD the vest just provides a little chest which jackets dont have and back armour which comes usualy seperate from a jacket.

Old May 21st, 2011, 11:31 PM   #13
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

^^^lol, of course they were
but what im trying to say is i felt more concerned about my arms while wearing the vest than i would have not wearing any gear

idk, i like wearing jackets
eliminates the chances of me getting the "glove" tan
looks like i had hand transplants
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:07 PM   #14
rusninja

lol i use to live on a bmx bike, back in the day i wore gloves my hands where really pail compared to arms XD

Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:29 PM   #15
kaiserz

I Use the vest as a supplementary armor for my jacket. I never go out w/o the proper jacket(ones with armor).

Old May 24th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #16
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

I have one that is hi-viz. I wear it over a summer mesh armored jacket. I just took out the back pads of the jacket and left in the shoulder/elbow armor. Fits quite well. I wouldn't suggest it unless you want a highviz option and don't really want to buy a full on high viz jacket.

If you're looking to wear JUST the armor, id suggest something like the Bionic 2 from Astars. It doesn't offer much is abrasion protection, but it's great for summer rides when the temperature out makes you feel like going squid mode and just wearing a tshirt. Plus it looks pretty damn cool under a shirt. I have one and have no complaints..yet..then again I've never spilled with it on.

Edit:: Bionic 2 also works well in the winter if you just layer up over the armor. To me it feels more "natural" than a jacket with thermal layers, since it's floating over the armor, not adding 1/2 inch of layers under the armor.

Last futzed with by TXJ; May 24th, 2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Zzz
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #17
kaiserz

My opinion on the stryker vest after 2 weeks of owning it. It's good but you can get something better. If you're just looking for a back protector this vest will do it's job (compared to those foam things that you got for free), but I feel that If you're gonna spend some money and want more protection get something better, something with more chest/side protection, the stryker vest has the CE approved back protector and a lil (like the size of my hand) chest protector (not ce rated). it's light and very easy to put on, build quality is good and you get what you paid for, for a 110 bucks it's a good buy.

Old May 29th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #18
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

At the very least, I would highly recommend to consider a CE 2 rated back protector as it offers twice the amount of energy absorption/dispersion of CE 1. To certify something as CE 2, they basically drop a 5kg anvil onto the protector piece and measure the amount of energy transferred through.

To qualify as CE 2, the average peak force measurement cannot exceed 9 kN and no single value shall be > 12 kN. CE 1 is half that at an average peak force not > 18 kN and no single value > 24 kN. Consider the following as food for thought; spinal injuries due to a direct blow can occur as low as 4 kN and injuries from spinal loading can occur at 7.8 kN on average. Based on these numbers, I'd say that even a CE 3 rating is needed in the motorcycle protective equipment industry and establish 4 kN as the maximum force transmitted.

If you want to get serious about your protection, consider the Forcefield ProSub 4. It was tested with an average transmitted force of 3.38 kN. Combine that with a CE 1 rated Forcefield chest piece and you probably have the best chest and back protection combo available to motorcyclists right now: http://www.johnsonleather.com/forcef..._PRO_SUB_4.htm
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote