Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1
atomicrm
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

motorcycle storage?

about how much is storage for a bike?

my buddy really wants to pick up a 250 but his parents are absolutely against it. hes curious how much just storing the bike would cost so that his parents never saw it and we could go hit roads on the weekends.
atomicrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Depends on the storage space. Could he not just keep it at your place instead? I suppose you guys could work up some kind of agreement.

That said, keeping something like this from his parents is a bad idea in every form. Secrets like this tend to get out at some point anyways. Most parents are against it because they love and care for their kids. That should be respected and dealt with not hidden and avoided. I urge your friend to respectfully tell his parents that he's going to get a bike no matter what (given that he's of age and can do that) and show responsibility for the risks by getting good gear. Given time and display of maturity for the sport, they will warm up to the idea of motorcycling and your friend will be able to enjoy it more.

Summary: Keeping it hidden from parents... BAD BAD BAD idea. Storing it because you have no where else to store it... ok not so bad idea and costs would depend on the storage location and length of time but in my experience it never ends up being worth it.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:56 AM   #3
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicrm View Post
about how much is storage for a bike?

my buddy really wants to pick up a 250 but his parents are absolutely against it. hes curious how much just storing the bike would cost so that his parents never saw it and we could go hit roads on the weekends.
I'm 31 and I still lie to my mother about having a bike...Yes, I have been on my own for awhile (own my house, own my car, etc.)...but I feel breaking the news about my motorcycle to my mom would have brought on the MAJOR kick in the butt from GRANDMA....I feel your friends pain, I was there too. Like anything, if he really cares about how people care about him than he will do the utmost to ride with care.

Can't lie, I contemplated if there would ever be a day when I did give up riding...it may be the day I have my first born child that things change. There really is no such thing as "safety" or "security"...Anything is possible, so ride with care.
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

He can keep it at my place for free.

Old October 24th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridkid View Post
I'm 31 and I still lie to my mother about having a bike...Yes, I have been on my own for awhile (own my house, own my car, etc.)...but I feel breaking the news about my motorcycle to my mom would have brought on the MAJOR kick in the butt from GRANDMA....I feel your friends pain, I was there too. Like anything, if he really cares about how people care about him than he will do the utmost to ride with care.

Can't lie, I contemplated if there would ever be a day when I did give up riding...it may be the day I have my first born child that things change. There really is no such thing as "safety" or "security"...Anything is possible, so ride with care.
I think this is the important part of what you said in relation to this topic. You have your own life and are not dependent on your parents so really, your life is your life. The fact that his friend is looking for storage for his bike implies that he is still living at home (this is an assumption I am making given the lack of more information) under his parents' roof. Not telling your parents about the bike KJ is acceptable I would think. In the case of the OP's friend, doing so is just childish/immature and shows a lack of judgment imo.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #6
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

My mom said no too buuuuut

I only needed permission from my wife

so SHE CAN TALK TO THE HAND!!!
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote