ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Motorcycle Winter storage

I know there are a lot of winterizing threads, but my question is different and wasnt able to locate an answer for it despite search (maybe I just failed Google)

Would I be able to store my bike in my garage and just turn it on every few days and all be fine, or should I just do the full winterization including the stabil, draining the bowls and changing the oil?

Thing with Texas is we can have some fairly moderate days happen during "winter" and I'd like to enjoy those if possible, without having to re-winterize for the other not so good days.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #2
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Last winter I changed the oil and added stabil to the tank and ran it for a bit. Then every week I started her up and revved her a little and imagined riding on a warm sunny day.

Worked out great.

I stopped riding mid-November and started riding regularly again the following March.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #3
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

U can start it up every two weeks and run for about 5 mins, that should be enough. Also, when U do it make sure that high beam is off, to avoid unnecessary electric drain & help battery recharge. No need to add anything to the gas, etc. Also, don't rev it too high in neutral - normal idling is fine, maybe rev it up to 3-4K rpm for 30 seconds at most.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #4
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

You should be fine if you can ride it occaisionally. The big thing is gas going stale, sitting in the bowls (hence starting it is good), and parts getting a little rusty. If you are taking the time to go out and start her then just do regular cleaning and lubing with the random ride here and there on those nicer days and you should be ok. I would even throw in the stabil just for good measure.

I don't know if I could have the bike sit and drive the beater...I would be wayyyy too tempted to do a tear down and get the mod bug/super deep clean going.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I do no winterization here in CA, and I'd assume you wouldn't need to do any in TX either. But - I wouldn't just start up the bike for a few minutes every week or two. You really need to get the engine up to operating temp for a while, and that's not going to happen without actually riding it. In my experience, as long as I can ride it for at least 30 minutes every 4 or 5 weeks, I've never had a problem with the bike sitting too long. It's if it starts to get longer than that where you need to worry about carb problems and all that goes along with that.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #6
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

Is it a bad idea to run the bike in gear on a read stand
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yes.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #8
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

Once I put my bikes away I don't start them up until it's riding season again. All I do is add Seafoam to the gas, ride the bikes around a bit to make sure the Seafoam is thoroughly mixed, change the oil and drain the carbs (can't do that on the Goldwing though). Park them in the corner of the garage and cover them up. I put a battery tender on the Goldwing and pull the battery on the Ninja trickle charge it every 2 weeks. Then I mope around for the next 4 months waiting for all the ice, snow and salt to disappear.
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #9
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Like Alex mentioned, I would be concerned about getting the engine up to operating temp. Letting it idle in cold weather might not do it. This means the oil won't heat up sufficiently to burn off the volatiles and condensation from the cold start. When you shut off the bike, the condensation and moisture sits inside the crankcase and exhaust system and could possibly freeze or cause premature rust and failure. You might be spreading the moisture within the oil throughout the engine when you let it idle. If you can get out and go for a ride once and while on the moderate Texas "winter" days then I don't see an issue with your storage method.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
If you can get out and go for a ride once and while on the moderate Texas "winter" days then I don't see an issue with your storage method.
USUALLY moderate. This year was proof that we can still get screwed

Texans aren't ready for the fluffy stuff. Luckily spending half my life in Michigan has prepared me for the odd snow day, but man... they can't drive.

Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote