ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Exclamation Clutch doesn't fully disengage power when pulled in.

I was adjusting my chain tension tonight and while the bike was up on stands, after I'd tightened everything back up and lubed up the chain, for one reason or another I started up the bike - still on the stands, in nuetral, kickstand down - and got a hair up my keister and hopped on the bike, put up the kickstand and put it in first gear. Clutch was obviously pulled in at the time but I was freaked out when I noticed that, while the bike's in first gear with the clutch lever pulled against the hand grip (to cut power to the rear wheel), the rear wheel was moving under power.

Shifted back to nuetral and it stopped spinning. Got off the bike, clutch lever squeezed all the way, shifted the bike into first gear and the wheel started spinning again. I was able to stop the spinning with one hand holding the clutch lever in and using my foot to stop the tire with some force (not the brightest thing to do, but I was curious how much power was getting to that rear tire) but as soon as lifted my foot off it'd start spinning again. I let go of the clutch lever completely, to fully engage the engine's power to the rear wheel and this time was unable to stop the wheel, I could slow it, but not stop it (didn't do it for long at all, afraid of damaging the transmission).

Took the bike off the stands and so the weight of the bike (and me) were on the tire and with the bike running, in first gear, clutch lever pulled in all the way, the bike wouldn't move. My weight + the bike was enough to keep it from rolling. With this same setup, except with me standing next to the bike so as to remove my weight from the rear tire it wouldn't roll but it sure seemed like it just barely wasn't going to roll.

I didn't have much play in the clutch lever to begin with but I took what little slack there was in the clutch lever out. Also used the steps in the shop manual for pulling the slack out where it attaches down at the bottom/side of the engine and it still spins.

I have no idea if it's always been this way or what as this was the first time I've ever decided to do this. The more I think about it I'm concerned about what kind of damage I may be inadvertently causing to the engine/transmission when I'm stopped at a light in 1st gear, clutch pulled in all the way but with a bit of power still trying to spin that back tire.

Luckily, it's still under warranty so if need be I can take it to the dealership to get checked out but if it's something simple enough I'd just assume fix it myself.

Any suggestions?
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:15 PM   #2
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

It doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with it. Its just the way wet clutches work.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:37 PM   #3
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

nothing wrong with your bike

Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:47 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
normal. its more apparent when its cold. the oil thins out when its warm

Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

From what I understand, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, even when the clutch is pulled fully in, there's always a little power going to the rear wheel. The engine is never fully 100% disengaged from the engine when in gear. It'll move a little. When you sit on it, if it doesnt pull you forward and you can still rock and what not, I'm sure you're fine and its normal.

In fact, im about 99% sure it's normal and that there's always a little power being put in.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Normal.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 04:34 AM   #7
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

So what you're all saying is that it sounds like the clutch/tranny has some serious problems and will most likely need to be replaced? Am I right? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Thanks guys. Glad that it's normal. Feel like an absolute moron now, but I'm glad to know there's nothing actually wrong with the bike.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:40 AM   #8
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

While the Ninja 250 is not maintenance free, it will give you a lot of miles of trouble free service if you stick to the factory required maintenance schedule.

The only problem I'm aware of with the clutch is on the pregen (not sure about the newgen) the clutch basket rattles and causes the bike to make a ticking sound at idle. Harmless, but can be annoying.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:58 AM   #9
pjed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100, 2006 Yamaha R1, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR600, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2017 Kawasaki Z900

Every bike I've owned spun the rear wheel when running in neutral on a stand. Especially when it was cold.
pjed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:14 AM   #10
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Normal, now put that slack back in your clutch cable before you toast your clutch plates.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:09 AM   #11
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Normal, now put that slack back in your clutch cable before you toast your clutch plates.
I plan to once I get home, there's still some slack, but it's very, very little. Arguably within spec, based on the shop manual.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:11 AM   #12
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

whew