ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #1
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

ATGATT will get got just as bad.

Eventually, if you're that lacking in motorcycling skills. Skills will get you much further, and I'm including common sense here too. And no, I'm not saying it's o.k. to ride in flip flops and minis, shirtless and helmetless. I thought of this when i saw a group of riders overseas looking like Michelin Man, taking off on a high speed road with ice cold tires, rain sprinkles raising my awareness of a definite downpour coming, and the group in a straight line in under 2-second gaps. There are alot of people, younger nowadays that are not made for motorcycling, it does take a certain person and skill-set, and grey matter with adaptability. Most people should be in a cage where they belong and play poser somehow through that venture.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

...what?
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #3
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
...what?
Translation: ATGATT is a good thing, but wearing a full set of gear doesn't protect you entirely and doing foolish things on a bike will still hurt you badly, even possibly as badly as if you weren't wearing any gear. Eventually, that is, if you're lacking in motorcycling skills. Skills (including common sense) will help you much more on a motorcycle than a full set of gear ever will. No, I'm not saying it's okay to ride in flip flop sandals and [a mini-skirt], shirtless and helmet-less. I realized this idea when I was overseas and spotted a group of riders [wearing little?]. I saw them driving quickly on a high speed road with ice-cold tires, riding single-file with little space in-between them; I could also tell that it was soon going to rain, making the road surface slippery and their activities even more dangerous. There are a lot of people, many of them young, who are not made for motorcycling. It takes a certain person and skill-set to ride a motorcycle, specifically someone who has the mental ability to adapt quickly to dangerous situations. Most people should drive a car instead, and somehow play out their motorcycling fantasies through that type of a vehicle.

At least, that's what I got.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 26th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Robinhood
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2007 GSXR 600

@TBC: thanks...sounds spot on, to me. Right on, Coondog.
Robinhood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #5
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Confession

I must correct myself, especially as an older albeit experienced rider. I tend to point towards the younger generation there is for me now (due to me being old) and that is a mistake. The largest increase in riders are RUBS (rich urban bikers), you know the clean cut GQ on a big HD cause it's hep and shows conspicuous consumption. It's these older clowns that don't know d*ck but think they are masters of the universe who drove the biker death rate up throughout the 2000's. Mostly taking corners, so they did unto themselves. Which I hate to say is good, but at least they didn't take any innocents with them. Bike sales are down since the recession started 2 years ago, hence the death rate has followed.

I've actually been making good money buying late model RUB bikes for exportation and am choosing one for self from the female versions that I get (HD 883's). The 883 has added 1.5 in. to it's rear shock and is now pushing out around 60hp and 50+ lbs. of torque and actually stir me in these old drawers of mine, aramid sewn kevlar lined of course
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #6
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

I though Kevlar WAS an aramid fiber.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Wink Mhmm

Irresponsible people get in accidents. I don't say old people, or young people get in accidents. The younger generation tends to be naive, less responsible, and believe that they are invincible. Good thing I'm not part of the younger generation

Old January 28th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Good thing I'm not part of the younger generation
Nick, you're 16...

You'll be just as big of an idiot as I am/was when I got my license. And when I got my motorcycle. And when I ride a bicycle. That's part of being someone our age. Thinking you're exempt from being an idiot is what makes you do things that aren't smart.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #9
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2011 150cc chinaman scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
. Good thing I'm not part of the younger generation
Or have a bike...lol
Socal5646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #10
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Did you know the Michelin Man has a dog?

Old January 29th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #11
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
Eventually, if you're that lacking in motorcycling skills. Skills will get you much further, and I'm including common sense here too. And no, I'm not saying it's o.k. to ride in flip flops and minis, shirtless and helmetless. I thought of this when i saw a group of riders overseas looking like Michelin Man, taking off on a high speed road with ice cold tires, rain sprinkles raising my awareness of a definite downpour coming, and the group in a straight line in under 2-second gaps. There are alot of people, younger nowadays that are not made for motorcycling, it does take a certain person and skill-set, and grey matter with adaptability. Most people should be in a cage where they belong and play poser somehow through that venture.
This post, filtered through the mind of TBC, resulting in this post...

Quote:
Translation: ATGATT is a good thing, but wearing a full set of gear doesn't protect you entirely and doing foolish things on a bike will still hurt you badly, even possibly as badly as if you weren't wearing any gear. Eventually, that is, if you're lacking in motorcycling skills. Skills (including common sense) will help you much more on a motorcycle than a full set of gear ever will. No, I'm not saying it's okay to ride in flip flop sandals and [a mini-skirt], shirtless and helmet-less. I realized this idea when I was overseas and spotted a group of riders [wearing little?]. I saw them driving quickly on a high speed road with ice-cold tires, riding single-file with little space in-between them; I could also tell that it was soon going to rain, making the road surface slippery and their activities even more dangerous. There are a lot of people, many of them young, who are not made for motorcycling. It takes a certain person and skill-set to ride a motorcycle, specifically someone who has the mental ability to adapt quickly to dangerous situations. Most people should drive a car instead, and somehow play out their motorcycling fantasies through that type of a vehicle.

At least, that's what I got.
equals wisdom in my book. I like seeing this side of Coondog.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote