Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:56 PM   #1
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Let's talk about motorcycle insurance - medical coverage

Do you guys have medical coverage on your motorcycle insurance policy? If not, why not?

- Are you covered for motorcycle injuries from your primary health insurance?
- Are you covered for motorcycle injuries from your auto policy?

Are you hoping the other party (if multiple vehicle accident) is at fault and they have insurance to cover your medical bills?

Or are you just gambling?

My health insurance specifically states that they do NOT cover motorcycle injuries.

My auto insurance policy (Geico) also states they do NOT cover motorcycle injuries as well. I live in a "no fault" state. We have PIP. PIP pays for my medical expenses no matter who is at fault from the auto accident. But it will NOT pay for any medical expenses while riding a motorcycle.

The reason why I ask is because $25k in medical coverage on my motorcycle policy costs $280/year.

Hell, an ambulance ride to the hospital + one night at the hospital will probably be more than $25k already.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:49 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Jersey sucks :/

Or maybe just the coverage you have idk, it's not that way in CA
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Do you have your health insurance through your employer? Worth having a chat with HR about how much this exclusion is hurting their employees, and working with them to have that exclusion lifted when they renew. If you have private medical insurance, worth shopping around for a company that doesn't have that exclusion.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #4
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
At the time when the guy hit me I only had $5000 in medical coverage on my motorcycle policy with Progressive. My health insurance i have through work picked up a lot of the rest but i still have some massive bills left that the Lawyer is working to get payed by the other guys insurance.

I'd probably be much worse off financially if i had been at fault.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #5
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I do not have health insurance through employer. I work for a small business. They are not required by law to provide subsidized health insurance for employees.

I currently pay $240/mo for private health insurance. However, I was just notified that, because of ACA (Obamacare) is kicking in and the plan I am on will no longer be available. The most comparable Obamacare plan will now cost $470/month.

Unfortunately, I will have to drop health insurance coverage and take a gamble. I can't afford to pay close to $6k a year for health insurance just so I can go see the doc once a year for my annual physical exam. I just have to pray that nothing in my body fails and that I won't need surgery anytime soon.

@Jiggles, how does it work in CA? who will cover your medical expenses if you are injured while operating a motorcycle? (assuming it's a single vehicle accident).

Now that I think about it. $25k medical coverage on my motorcycle policy that only cost $280/yr extra isn't a bad deal at all!

Old September 4th, 2014, 06:45 AM   #6
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
At the time when the guy hit me I only had $5000 in medical coverage on my motorcycle policy with Progressive. My health insurance i have through work picked up a lot of the rest but i still have some massive bills left that the Lawyer is working to get payed by the other guys insurance.

I'd probably be much worse off financially if i had been at fault.
Shouldn't the guy's liability coverage pay for your medical expenses since he's at fault?

Mind me asking for a rough number of what your medical bill was? I'm just dumbfounded by how much everything costs.

Old September 4th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #7
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Shouldn't the guy's liability coverage pay for your medical expenses since he's at fault?

Mind me asking for a rough number of what your medical bill was? I'm just dumbfounded by how much everything costs.
My insurance pays then goes after his from what i was told.

The bill i just got from the doctor that did my surgeries and follow ups was for a little over $1600. Ant that was just what i have to pay. i wanna say just the 1st surgery was over 16k alone... I havent seen the PT bill yet. And the emergency room alone killed the 5k from Progressive and i still have to pay about $500 or so.

Its ridiculous what health care costs.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #8
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Do you guys have medical coverage on your motorcycle insurance policy? If not, why not?

- Are you covered for motorcycle injuries from your primary health insurance?
- Are you covered for motorcycle injuries from your auto policy?

Are you hoping the other party (if multiple vehicle accident) is at fault and they have insurance to cover your medical bills?

Or are you just gambling?

My health insurance specifically states that they do NOT cover motorcycle injuries.

My auto insurance policy (Geico) also states they do NOT cover motorcycle injuries as well. I live in a "no fault" state. We have PIP. PIP pays for my medical expenses no matter who is at fault from the auto accident. But it will NOT pay for any medical expenses while riding a motorcycle.

The reason why I ask is because $25k in medical coverage on my motorcycle policy costs $280/year.

Hell, an ambulance ride to the hospital + one night at the hospital will probably be more than $25k already.
I'm covered by my health insurance, but I got a PIP rider on my (Progressive) policy anyway. My health insurance even covers life flight, and injuries I might get on the track (I called and checked).
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #9
GreatScott
Virgin Blood

Name: GreatScott

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja-250

Quote:
I currently pay $240/mo for private health insurance. However, I was just notified that, because of ACA (Obamacare) is kicking in and the plan I am on will no longer be available. The most comparable Obamacare plan will now cost $470/month.
When I had a group policy I was paying $400. I now have a policy through ACA, paying $300 and it is essentially the same coverage (copays are actually $5 less).

One of the purposes of the ACA was to make sure that insurance covered everything. If your original policy didn't cover women's health (even though you're a man) they ditched that whole plan and made you get another one... and probably at a higher rate. With that in mind, wouldn't all policies now have to cover injuries resulting from a motorcycle accident? I've been looking online but can't quite find a definitive answer.
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 02:08 PM   #10
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
My motorcycle policy through State Farm does not offer medical coverage.

I just called my medical insurance that's provided by my employer, as long as it's a medical bill they will cover it (subject to all the rules, contracts, deductibles, blah blah). She did say that if a service is the result of an accident, their legal team will be getting in touch to see if another party is responsible but they don't deny just because its on a motorcycle.

I love it when folks ask these questions, gives me reason to keep in touch with my agents and make sure everything is covered.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
One thing that might help with expenses, least as far as transport goes, see if your local ambulance or flight provider has an annual membership available. If you ride in one area most of the time, the membership could prevent you getting hit with the patient responsibility part of the transport bill or lower the bill in the case of no insurance.

I talked with an EMT who advised me that most serious motorcycle accidents result in air transport. That, plus I ride through numerous counties, pushed me to getting the CareFlight membership vs each local ambulance service. The helicopter covers 150 miles from their base and they have three bases that effectively cover the entire region I ride in. Beyond their reach, I picked up a Domestic MedJet Assist membership to help with transport back home.

Just a thought if trying to plan what happens if you can't make it back home under your own power.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.