ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #41
ator
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

The level of supply and demand is not constant across all 50 states. However, As stated above, the sellers have one thing in their favor right now. Riding season is just starting, and we've had some pretty good weather here in Michigan
ator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #42
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Whatever you do, don't buy this one

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/2921512822.html

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #43
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ator View Post
This one?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/2920116603.html

it's not an SE model, MSRP is $4199 It's the Candy Lime Green, same one I have
Yea, that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
something a few people are seeming to forget. Basic laws of supply and demand. Because New the go for 5k+ OTD price and there are only so many Used ones at 4kish price.. the 4kish price even if its still "more" than its "worth" people will pay it. Because 4kish is still cheaper than 5K+ last time I checked....
True
Quote:
The level of supply and demand is not constant across all 50 states. However, As stated above, the sellers have one thing in their favor right now. Riding season is just starting, and we've had some pretty good weather here in Michigan
Again, true. But I've got patience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Dew View Post
Whatever you do, don't buy this one

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/2921512822.html
LOL, why not? That seems like a good price
Reyno2ac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #44
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
boom hit the nail on the head, which is why I said if the OP wants to wait he will be able to get a better deal, however he will be waiting a good 6 months at least before they prices drop...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #45
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If the dealer told me "Hey, I'll give you this bike for $500 cheaper if you let me ride it for 40 miles" my answer would have been

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #46
ator
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
boom hit the nail on the head, which is why I said if the OP wants to wait he will be able to get a better deal, however he will be waiting a good 6 months at least before they prices drop...
We definitely agree on this. However, if the MSRP is $4199 and the OP offers the dealer $4000+tax ($240) dealer prep ($500) that's about $4740 OTD at the dealer with a 12 months of warranty.

If he pays $4400 for the used one he still has to pay taxes ($264) so he ends up paying $4664 Which would you pick?

Given the time of year, I still would not give her more then $4000, the OP has to save some money for buying someones used mistake.

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #47
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
He said OTD with the dealer is $5000 so yes $350 savings would be worth it
AFM #676

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #48
ator
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
He said OTD with the dealer is $5000 so yes $350 savings would be worth it
Why save $350 when you can save $750?

OR

The OP is trying to haggle with the Craigslist seller, he needs to haggle with the dealer.

I think given all the variables, I would offer her $4000, take it or leave it. I can't see anyone giving her $4400 now. In a few months when they are harder to come by at the dealer, (they do sell out of em) maybe, but not yet.

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #49
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The OP is trying to haggle with the Craigslist seller, he needs to haggle with the dealer.

I think given all the variables, I would offer her $4000, take it or leave it. I can't see anyone giving her $4400 now. In a few months when they are harder to come by at the dealer, (they do sell out of em) maybe, but not yet.
I'm actually going to be heading into the dealer tomorrow or this weekend. I'll see what they have to say when I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #50
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Quote:
We definitely agree on this. However, if the MSRP is $4199 and the OP offers the dealer $4000+tax ($240) dealer prep ($500) that's about $4740 OTD at the dealer with a 12 months of warranty.

If he pays $4400 for the used one he still has to pay taxes ($264) so he ends up paying $4664 Which would you pick?

Given the time of year, I still would not give her more then $4000, the OP has to save some money for buying someones used mistake.
assuming they tell the truth on the paperwork of how much he got it for....

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #51
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

I'd definitely check with your local dealerships and see what it'd cost you OTD for a brand new 2012. I'm sure prices across the country will vary but I can pick up a 2012 SE Ninja 250 around here for $4600 OTD. I'd definitely go for that over even $4400 for a used 2012 with 40 miles or w/e. Point being, if you're bent on paying new prices, buy new.

Not sure where in Michigan you live but if you're trying to get a 'great' deal, I definitely wouldn't limit myself to just my town. Just did a quick search of 2 craigslist locations for Michigan and found quite a few decent looking bikes asking around $3400-3600.

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #52
ator
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
assuming they tell the truth on the paperwork of how much he got it for....
How much more in taxes could he possibly save? I dare ya to take a 2012 title to the secretary of state here in Michigan that says you paid $100.

So he says he paid $3000, that saves him another $80

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #53
ator
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyno2ac View Post
I'm actually going to be heading into the dealer tomorrow or this weekend. I'll see what they have to say when I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket.
Which dealer you going to?

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #54
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
I'd definitely check with your local dealerships and see what it'd cost you OTD for a brand new 2012. I'm sure prices across the country will vary but I can pick up a 2012 SE Ninja 250 around here for $4600 OTD. I'd definitely go for that over even $4400 for a used 2012 with 40 miles or w/e. Point being, if you're bent on paying new prices, buy new.

Not sure where in Michigan you live but if you're trying to get a 'great' deal, I definitely wouldn't limit myself to just my town. Just did a quick search of 2 craigslist locations for Michigan and found quite a few decent looking bikes asking around $3400-3600.
I've looked. The ones I've found have been sold, even though the add is still up.

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #55
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

wtf... Mine was $3500 OTD in 2009 with 2 miles on it. The dealer had 2 bikes. One black and one red. The red one sold as I walked in. The only other 250r I could find used was at another dealership and they were asking $2999 and that was the asking price, not the OTD price. The used bike had something like 3000 miles on it. So to me it seemed like a better deal to get the brand new bike.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #56
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
How much more in taxes could he possibly save? I dare ya to take a 2012 title to the secretary of state here in Michigan that says you paid $100.

So he says he paid $3000, that saves him another $80
hu?

Apparently it works differently over there...

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #57
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Which dealer you going to?
Kensington Motorsports

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #58
MLecl0001
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Quote:
Refuse to pay all the shipping/handling/paperwork/assembly/other stupid dealer fees. Just offer them MSRP+Registration+Tax, on a 4100 250 that should be about 4500 OTD, at least here in MN it is. But then I guess it depends on supply and demand, here at least for now there are quite a few 250s Kawasaki and Honda alike sitting around on the floor and in their warehouses.

A good way to gauge if they are hiding bikes in a warehouse is to ask for a color they dont have on the showroom and see if they have it.
MLecl0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #59
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLecl0001 View Post
Refuse to pay all the shipping/handling/paperwork/assembly/other stupid dealer fees. Just offer them MSRP+Registration+Tax, on a 4100 250 that should be about 4500 OTD, at least here in MN it is. But then I guess it depends on supply and demand, here at least for now there are quite a few 250s Kawasaki and Honda alike sitting around on the floor and in their warehouses.

A good way to gauge if they are hiding bikes in a warehouse is to ask for a color they dont have on the showroom and see if they have it.
They've got all three colors on the floor. Last time I went in "just looking" and he didn't pressure me too much. I'll see how he handles it tomorrow. Who knows, I may come home with a nice shiny 250

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #60
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

LOL dealers here will laugh you out the door if you even try to get it for any less that the $4199 sticker price (bit more for SE's) + other crap they all try to charge. They know the next guy in will buy it if you don't and in 2 months there will be none left!
Her asking price is prolly what she owes the bank just to get the title, GL gettin someone to sell it for less than they owe. If they are selling it, most likely they don't have the cash to cover the rest of lean to get the title. Least that's how I look at it.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #61
exarch
ninjette.org member

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250r

Quote:
I contacted someone from craigslist today selling a 2012 Ninja 250 with 45 miles on the odometer. She's claiming she bought it and decided to sell it because she thinks its too dangerous to be riding a motorcycle with three young kids.

Anyway, she's got it posted for $4,400, the sticker price at the dealer. She says that she's got all the paperwork. What do you guys think is a reasonable offer?

What exactly is the factory warranty, and will it transfer to me?
Depends if youe military aswell, if I buy a new bike I dont pay all the dealer fees. I got mine for 3.8k on cl with 600 miles on it with a shitton of mods. I could of got one with 0 miles for 3900, but meh why when thats 1.5k less I gotta spend on mods and less time I gotta put into the bike. Droping another 500 in mods Saturday. But stock for that price? Pft, your better off driving to Ohio and paying 3500 for a used bike with.1-2k miles on it. But thats just my 2cents, as long as you feel like ur getting a good deal thats all that matters.
Posted via Mobile Device
exarch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #62
exarch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
LOL dealers here will laugh you out the door if you even try to get it for any less that the $4199 sticker price + other crap they all try to charge. They know the next guy in will buy it if you don't and in 2 months there will be none left!
Her asking price is prolly what she owes the bank just to get the title, GL gettin someone to sell it for less than they owe. If they are selling it, most likely they don't have the cash to cover the rest of lean to get the title. Least that's how I look at it.
4-5k I dont even see why people finance these bikes, not worth it. Im not saying 4-5k is pocket change, but damn its really not that much money... Making 10per hour 40h a week for 10 Weeks = 4k... 8Ph x 40h/w for 12.5Weeks = 4k. Hell get a temp second job if nothing else if you cant afford to save enough to buy it outright off 1job.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #63
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Just sent an email for a listing that just popped up! 2010 with 2,000 miles for $3,500! If I don't get a chance to look at this bike consider me officially retired from this board...lol

Old March 29th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #64
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by exarch View Post
4-5k I dont even see why people finance these bikes, not worth it. Im not saying 4-5k is pocket change, but damn its really not that much money... Making 10per hour 40h a week for 10 Weeks = 4k... 8Ph x 40h/w for 12.5Weeks = 4k. Hell get a temp second job if nothing else if you cant afford to save enough to buy it outright off 1job.
Posted via Mobile Device
To some people $5k is a **** ton of money and can't imagine ever being able to save up that much to buy one outright from dealer floor, without something coming up that requires that savings.

There's others that do because they offer it and it's less money out their pocket now, and keep a goose egg.

Also I lol @ your advise... where have you been living the last few years????
A second job?!! really.. people have been out of work for 2yrs looking for 1 job and you just pipe out get a 2nd job!!!
I also like how you leave out things like taxes, fuel cost to get to/from that new 2nd job and all the other factors that a 2nd job comes with!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #65
exarch
ninjette.org member

I work 2 full time jobs + reserves... Sure it eats up alot of my time... But getting a job is not hard... Getting a job you WANT or LIKE is a whole nother story... If I didnt get a dui I would still be a truck driver working 1 job + reserves, im not even salty that I work all day every day, thats life... If you want something work for it, cash is king, I hate freeloaders, credit gets you in trouble, I dont beleive in welfare, the best things in life are NOT free... Hell my dad is handicap(cp) worked 2-3 jobs at a time most his life ontop of his volunteer work with the redcross, I learned from him... I was amancipated at 15(long story) I been busting my ass ever since, people have all kinds of excuses, and.they really do belive their excuse is legit, when infact its not(some cases are legit, most arnt)Somepeople have deadbeat parents or parents that hand them everything, yes 5k is alot to them... To us people that bust our asses day in and day out, ya 5k is alot to us, the only diffrrence is we did what we had to do to get somrthing otherwise out our teach...

Edit: examples of ez jobs to get no one wants. Health care, cnc, military, fast food, waiter, cook, cdl, sales rep, sitter/daycare, supermarkets, etc... Most of those pay min wage? Who cares a job is a job. As for cdl drop 7k(they finance and most big Trans corps pay your schooling off, so really its free unless I fck up like I did) also these jobs require little to no experience, and for thr onlrs that require little experience you can pay $200 for a 1week class to get ur cert.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #66
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Can we please not turn this thread into a pissing match?

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #67
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Mine's bigger
AFM #676

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #68
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

Mine's bigger.

Back on topic, OP, supply and demand, the start of the riding season (although in Philly, it never stopped this year), all that be damned if you want to start riding. You can wait, but you'll miss out on some really nice riding in the next month or two before the summer heat comes. Is it worth $500 or $1000, dunno know. Depends on how many jobs you have... Everyone has different priorities (well, duh). How much is a sh!t-eating grin on your face worth it to you? Several hundred here and there, but at least you're riding, right?

I went through this process last year, took several months, had a deposit on a new bike (the white 2011) at a good price that never came, then lucked out on a 2009 posted on Craigslist (I was the first caller). Was it worth it? Yeah, but, if I'd paid $500 or so more, that would have been fine as well.
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 04:11 AM   #69
ator
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Just sent an email for a listing that just popped up! 2010 with 2,000 miles for $3,500! If I don't get a chance to look at this bike consider me officially retired from this board...lol
In Trenton, My neck of the woods!

Let us know what happens!

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #70
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Don't lowball her like that, you know it's completely new,

only fools go around doing such obvious and harsh lowballs.

Honestly if they go for 5000 or just under...lucky your already saving 400 dollars

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #71
blink
Always.

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

As for depreciation ...thats basically what the 400$ makes up for

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #72
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
As for depreciation ...thats basically what the 400$ makes up for
Still thinking you'd have to pay taxes on it, wouldn't you?

Old March 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #73
ator
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I'm guessing that you didn't get a chance to look at this one today based on the weather here.

Old March 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #74
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
$3500 is way too low, this is a new bike. Think of her situation, if she paid $5000 for it do you really think she will sell it for $3500? Not even close. If I were you I would try to get it for $4400 including tax you will have to pay to the DMV. What is your tax rate? Subtract that amount from $4400 and offer her that.
I'd try it because A) She is expected to take a hit and B) The 2008 model's MSRP was $3,500 and, like it or not, she is competing in a market with THAT identical bike being significantly under THAT original MSRP.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #75
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
As stated earlier tho, she already had 2 offers on her original $4400 price. And if anything the older ninjas will become more expensive because of the price increase in later models
AFM #676

Old March 30th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #76
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm guessing that you didn't get a chance to look at this one today based on the weather here.
Nope, he already had too many other offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I'd try it because A) She is expected to take a hit and B) The 2008 model's MSRP was $3,500 and, like it or not, she is competing in a market with THAT identical bike being significantly under THAT original MSRP.
Quote:
As stated earlier tho, she already had 2 offers on her original $4400 price. And if anything the older ninjas will become more expensive because of the price increase in later models
I don't expect to hear back from her.

I was quote $5,200 at the dealership. He went down to $5,000 and tossed in delivery. This included everything, tax, title, registration. I told him I'd have to think about it. I'm going to go back in tomorrow and do my best to work something out.

He came down to $5,000 in the blink of an eye so I'm thinking I can lower it another $200 and maybe get him to toss in a pair of gloves or something. I'm going to call some other local dealers and see what they have to say.

What do you think I should offer him tomorrow?

Old March 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #77
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

SE model brand new at my local dealership in so cal was $6200 OTD. Expect the bike to sell for around $4000
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #78
Sigma.40
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1999 "1000cc" ZX9R

Quote:
I just put an offer in for $3,500, and explained that I couldn't see myself paying MSRP for a bike that wasn't coming from a dealership. I guess we'll see where it goes from here. If she rejects it I'll just be watching craigslist for a little while longer. It's no big deal, especially since I'm signed up to take the MSF on April 20th.
I'm signed up for April 20th. Just curious, what part of Michigan are you taking it in?
Sigma.40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #79
MLecl0001
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Quote:
Nope, he already had too many other offers.

I don't expect to hear back from her.

I was quote $5,200 at the dealership. He went down to $5,000 and tossed in delivery. This included everything, tax, title, registration. I told him I'd have to think about it. I'm going to go back in tomorrow and do my best to work something out.

He came down to $5,000 in the blink of an eye so I'm thinking I can lower it another $200 and maybe get him to toss in a pair of gloves or something. I'm going to call some other local dealers and see what they have to say.

What do you think I should offer him tomorrow?
What was the breakdown on that? Have them itemize everything for the total price. Was it a SE or just normal model? I do not know sales tax or registration in Michigan but here in MN my sales tax on the bike was only around $320 and registration and excise tax were just under $60. So total I was looking at around $4550. Again I do not know what tax is like in Michigan or what the supply and demand is like there either but that seems much more reasonable to me than $5k.

Edit - And this is the worst part, but you have to be able to walk away. As hard, and in some cases impossible, as it is you can not fall in love with anything. Walking away is a huge risk, but it can come with huge rewards. Walking away has lost me good deals on houses and cars, but it has also gotten me absolute steals in both cases also. So in the end it is up to you whether you have to have it or not. I personally drove my sales guy nuts because unlike other customers I didn't smile much and I never acted excited, even when I closed the deal on the bike.
MLecl0001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2012, 05:28 AM   #80
Reyno2ac
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLecl0001 View Post
What was the breakdown on that? Have them itemize everything for the total price. Was it a SE or just normal model? I do not know sales tax or registration in Michigan but here in MN my sales tax on the bike was only around $320 and registration and excise tax were just under $60. So total I was looking at around $4550. Again I do not know what tax is like in Michigan or what the supply and demand is like there either but that seems much more reasonable to me than $5k.

Edit - And this is the worst part, but you have to be able to walk away. As hard, and in some cases impossible, as it is you can not fall in love with anything. Walking away is a huge risk, but it can come with huge rewards. Walking away has lost me good deals on houses and cars, but it has also gotten me absolute steals in both cases also. So in the end it is up to you whether you have to have it or not. I personally drove my sales guy nuts because unlike other customers I didn't smile much and I never acted excited, even when I closed the deal on the bike.
Sales tax is 6% and registration is less than $50, so that comes to $4,502.

He had everything itemized on the sheet, and it included about $700 of different fees, including assembly, freight, paperwork fee...etc