ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:44 AM   #1
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Stunt woman motorcycle crash on new Resident Evil film

This is a really sad story I'm sure a few of you have seen. A stunt woman named Olivia Jackson, who had worked on lots of films as a stunt rider or martial artist, was involved in a horrible crash filming a scene for the new Resident Evil film.

From what a read she was doing a jump off a small ramp, nothing wild at all, but there was a camera in her path that was supposed to move out of her way. Well, the camera malfunctioned and she smashed right into it. No helmet, of course, the producer must have felt a helmet would have made the movie less "cool". Her injuries are really bad, but I think it's important to remember the risks we take.

Did you know the film industry has an award for best makeup but none for stunt men/woman? What crap.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/res.../1100-6433288/

Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:36 PM   #2
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Really sad since it was totally avoidable. They use CGI so often in films like this that she could have easily worn a helmet and they could have digitally removed it later preventing the worst of her injuries. Hope for a full and speedy recovery for her.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 25th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #3
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

So sad. Just another reminder that even the most innocuous or easy seeming ride can have unexpected things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Really sad since it was totally avoidable. They use CGI so often in films like this that she could have easily worn a helmet and they could have digitally removed it later preventing the worst of her injuries. Hope for a full and speedy recovery for her.
This. They have so many ways to digitally alter footage now. It is kind of crazy how they choose to save on CGI costs with increased risks of stunt personnel.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hopes for a speedy recovery for her.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #5
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Terrible situation, she'll never be able to do stunt work again due to her injuries. I hope the studio ensures she's comfortable for the rest of her life.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2015, 09:41 AM   #6
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Terrible situation, she'll never be able to do stunt work again due to her injuries. I hope the studio ensures she's comfortable for the rest of her life.
I hope she comes out of this twice as strong and more determined to succeed. it is sad they do not protect the stunt workers more, there are so many things they can do to protect them.

Old December 26th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #7
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Yeah. What's worse , use CGI to remove a helmet or use CGI to add an arm?
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2015, 08:38 AM   #8
AchyGrappler
Motorbike Obsessed

Name: Me

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki EX250, 2004 Yamaha FZ1, 2006 Honda CRF 450 Flat Track Race Bike

From one article I read, her injuries were really severe. It looks like she will lose an arm. Her face was almost de-gloved. Numerous broken bones of course. And also nerve damage that will lead to a very challenging recovery. Hopefully she has good insurance through the film industry.

Old December 27th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #9
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
No amount of money is worth what she is going through.
I hope the industry changes their safety practices. If her injuries save someone else, then at least some good will come out of all of this.

Old December 27th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #10
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
No amount of money is worth what she is going through.
I hope the industry changes their safety practices. If her injuries save someone else, then at least some good will come out of all of this.
Not all pick careers for money, but when picking career with high risk of permanent injuries; it really sucks when things go wrong.
You can plan for the stunt to go alright a million times, but it is that one time that it doesn't go according to plan you need to need to make sure things are covered for the aftermath.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #11
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

I have seen a car crash de-gloved face on liveleak ... it is the worst thing I've ever seen. It's better to be dead I think.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2015, 05:24 AM   #12
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Not all pick careers for money, but when picking career with high risk of permanent injuries; it really sucks when things go wrong.
This "You can plan for the stunt to go alright a million times, but it is that one time that it doesn't go according to plan you need to need to make sure things are covered for the aftermath" Is truth! Read what happened to Indian Larry. Famous old School biker doing a simple trick he had performed a million times before and he died. How many of us have heard about (or experienced) a simple wheelie going wrong? even after it was successful a million times before? There is no good reason to not wear all the gear all the time. Hope everyone has a safe season in 2016!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #13
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

"Jackson's Facebook post in October detailed the extent of her injuries, which included "brain bleed[ing], brain swelling, severed main artery in the neck, crushed and degloved face, several broken ribs, paralyzed arm, shattered scapula, broken clavicle, broken humerus, broken radius and ulna, with an open wound and a 7.5 piece of bone missing, [and an] amputated thumb."

Dear Lord!!!!!

Also, DO NOT google "degloved face". I knew what degloving was... just dont. Unless you like to throw up.

So sad.

Anakin Skywalker had freaking less traumatic injuries. And he ended up as Darth freaking Vader.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2015, 12:58 PM   #14
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

The latest update was that she was going to have the arm amputated. An incredibly sad situation all around for the relatively newlywed.

Hopefully, she can overcome the difficult recovery that lies ahead. Beyond the physical damage, the psychological damage must be immense.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote