ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 19th, 2016, 05:30 PM   #81
knightdalton
ninjette.org member

Name: Dalton

Motorcycle(s): 98 kawasaki ninja250r

Why goodnight then a new chain is 30 bucks and then maybe a gear or 2 if there is more damage I'll fix it so far I bought the bike for 100 and only have like 60 in it plus chain so 190 I'll be fine my budget is like 3 400. So I still have like 200 left I'll be fine
knightdalton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #82
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdalton View Post
Why goodnight then a new chain is 30 bucks and then maybe a gear or 2 if there is more damage I'll fix it so far I bought the bike for 100 and only have like 60 in it plus chain so 190 I'll be fine my budget is like 3 400. So I still have like 200 left I'll be fine
Because if the chain is broken or not moving, the valves will have hit a piston. These are interference motors.

A piston could have a hole in it or valves could just be bent.

At this point, removal of the cylinder head is a prudent necessity to evaluate the damage.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #83
jschorr
ninjette.org member

Name: todd

Motorcycle(s): 1995 ninja 250r

Don't forget the little things, full gasket set should probably be $100. And if it is apart you will want to flip the bearing. Valves....just replace them. And the seats, better to blow the $ now than get it together and find your valve isn't seating and need replaced.

At this point your in a full rebuilding, not a repair
jschorr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 06:21 PM   #84
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

The only gaskets he should need is head, base, and clutch. The total is ~$70.

Old April 19th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #85
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
It's also a 1998. Should replace the valve cover and spark plug well gaskets as well as the o-rings under the cam caps. Then there's the o-rings for the cam chain adjuster.

At 18 years old, I'd spend the 100 bucks for a complete kit and replace what I take out. Guaranteed it's not round any more and flat...most likely hard as a brick also.

At this point, getting it running again on his budget is overly optimistic.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #86
knightdalton
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
Hopefully it will just be a broken CCT. It might be a busted cam chain, and that likely would mean you likely have other problems. If you know the cams are not moving I assume that means you took the valve cover off and turned the motor over. So, is the cam chain slacked, missing, or fine?
I haven't pulled the engine out I'll do that tomorrow when my chain comes in

Old April 20th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #87
knightdalton
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
It's also a 1998. Should replace the valve cover and spark plug well gaskets as well as the o-rings under the cam caps. Then there's the o-rings for the cam chain adjuster.

At 18 years old, I'd spend the 100 bucks for a complete kit and replace what I take out. Guaranteed it's not round any more and flat...most likely hard as a brick also.

At this point, getting it running again on his budget is overly optimistic.
A complete kit if what? What kit

Old April 20th, 2016, 07:24 AM   #88
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
As the others have explained, there's a good chance other parts are/could/most likely be damaged.

If you pull the head, then at the very least you'll have to lap the head and cylinder, etc..... I classify these engines as BIC lighters, disposable they are plentiful and inexpensive to get a good used one, Vs the time, money and aggravation spent.

You could buy another used engine, install, ride and then do whatever you want to the damaged engine.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #89
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdalton View Post
I haven't pulled the engine out I'll do that tomorrow when my chain comes in
Did you order a new cam chain?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 07:56 AM   #90
jschorr
ninjette.org member

Right now, there is someone deciding that the motorcycle that they bough 15 years ago needs to go to make room for there extra juicer. And chances are it is a ninja 250 with 300 miles on it.

And somewhere else, an inexperienced rider just dropped his bike in a low speed low side and has decided there just not cut out for this. And again that bike will probably be a ninja 250.

You got a crap deal with a broke timing chain, you will be sinking a bunch of money and man hours into what will seill be a $200 bike. My best suggestion is to break the bike into parts and eBay them off. You will probably end up with around $1000 from doing that, and then use what you have learned and go pick up another ninja 250.

I am really happy to talk to someone who wants to learn about working on bikes, but Kenny Rodgers man.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 20th, 2016, 09:12 AM   #91
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Or buy another PreGen, this one running, and have a parts bike.

Parts is parts

Link to original page on YouTube.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 09:16 AM   #92
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschorr View Post
Right now, there is someone deciding that the motorcycle that they bough 15 years ago needs to go to make room for there extra juicer. And chances are it is a ninja 250 with 300 miles on it.

And somewhere else, an inexperienced rider just dropped his bike in a low speed low side and has decided there just not cut out for this. And again that bike will probably be a ninja 250.

You got a crap deal with a broke timing chain, you will be sinking a bunch of money and man hours into what will seill be a $200 bike. My best suggestion is to break the bike into parts and eBay them off. You will probably end up with around $1000 from doing that, and then use what you have learned and go pick up another ninja 250.

I am really happy to talk to someone who wants to learn about working on bikes, but Kenny Rodgers man.
^^^ This
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #93
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Or buy another PreGen, this one running, and have a parts bike.

Parts is parts
^^^ Or This
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2016, 11:22 AM   #94
knightdalton
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschorr View Post

Pulled everything out everything looks great no damage and found a guy that gave me the chain for 20 bucks and I'll be putting it together on 27 that's when I get back but everything looks good and I have a couple people that would buy it for 800 all the way to 1200 and special after I put in a new paint job I'll have a total of 200 dollars in this bike no like 180 and I'll sell it and do it all again l. I love fixing this man everything about taking it solving the problem great great time. Thanks to all you guys could not have done it without you guys also after I put in chain if it starts and runs I'll post that on here so you guys know we did it another bike on the street

Old April 21st, 2016, 12:03 PM   #95
jschorr
ninjette.org member

That is great news!!! And the market in your area is way different than here. My last 2 ninjas and the kat that I have now now cost me less than 1200. 2 ninja at 200 and 250 and 700 for the kat.

Can't wait to see the pics!!!