ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #1
Omarel
ninjette.org member

Name: O

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

My reserve doesn't work.

I've ran out of gas twice and had to coast to a gas station because my reserve doesn't work so I can no longer count on it.

But what would be the cause of that? Anyway to fix that.
Omarel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:56 AM   #2
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Take the petcock out and look at it.

The main pickup could be damaged, so it's actually pulling from lower than the reserve pickup. Or the reserve pickup could be plugged, so it's simply not able to flow any gas.

How many gallons of gas are you using when it runs out? That may give some indication whether you're getting all the gas via the main pickup, or whether the reserve pickup isn't able to get the remaining gas.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:59 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to pre-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #4
Omarel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
How many gallons of gas are you using when it runs out?
The bike just runs out of gas and it won't start or do anything. Then switching to reserve does nothing also. Luckily both times I was close to a gas station and able to walk the bike

I've discovered the hard way so now I'm just going to watch my trip meter to know when to fill up but it would be nice to get the reserve working still.

Old May 26th, 2016, 05:27 AM   #5
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
You forgot to answer the question you quoted.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old May 26th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarel View Post
I've ran out of gas twice and had to coast to a gas station because my reserve doesn't work so I can no longer count on it.

But what would be the cause of that? Anyway to fix that.
It can be dangerous when happening in heavy traffic.
You should never let it die like that, even if reserve working OK.

Reset the odometer to 0 each time you refill and create the habit of checking the fuel level via the miles.
Estimate 1 gallon per 50 miles.
Once you pass 160~180 miles you should switch to reserve and look for a station.

The previous post describes the solution to your problem.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 10:01 AM   #7
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
The how many gallons is relevant, to a point.

Your petcock probably needs replaced. However, keep in mind that it's vacuum actuated. So if you do run out of fuel and switch to reserve, it will take a bit of cranking to get fuel back in the carbs again.

Petcocks are something like 20-30 dollars. Get a new one and install it so you have reserve again.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

It would be easy to test the damaged pickup idea: just fill up the tank and switch it to reserve. If the bike runs on reserve, the reserve works. If the bike doesn't run, the normal could be damaged as InvisiBill suggested. Either way, a new petcock sounds like the best solution.

Old May 26th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Petcocks are something like 20-30 dollars. Get a new one and install it so you have reserve again.
Pretty sure they are closer to $60. Rebuild kits aren't cheap either, so it's usually best to just go with a new one.

I'd disassemble it and look it over closely first, but do get it fixed. Running out of gas unexpectedly at an inopportune time can be dangerous.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #10
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
It would be easy to test the damaged pickup idea: just fill up the tank and switch it to reserve. If the bike runs on reserve, the reserve works. If the bike doesn't run, the normal could be damaged reserve is not working properly.
Fixed it a bit, but that's a good simple test. With a full tank, just see if Reserve works. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with the reserve pickup. If it does, then there's something more complicated going on, like the previously-mentioned main pickup actually being lower than the reserve pickup somehow. Either way, the petcock will need to be inspected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
However, keep in mind that it's vacuum actuated. So if you do run out of fuel and switch to reserve, it will take a bit of cranking to get fuel back in the carbs again.
I don't know if the 250 is the same, but on the 500, it starts sputtering a bit as I run out of gas at 60mph. It's just long enough for me to panic about what's wrong with my bike, then I realize how many miles I've got on the tank and that I'm just low on gas. I flip the petcock to Reserve, gas starts flowing again, and the bike sputters back up to normal running. The whole process from starting to sputter and then back to normal running is maybe 5 seconds.

If you do completely run out of gas and the engine dies, yes, you'll need to crank it for a bit to open the petcock and refill the carbs before it will run again.

FYI, I always leave my petcock on Reserve for a bit after filling up. This will help draw out any old fuel (though it should get mixed up decently just by refueling) or contaminants (water absorbed by the ethanol will sink to the bottom of the tank), instead of it just building up in the bottom of the tank. This will ensure that you actually have viable gas down at your reserve pickup when you need it. Just make sure you switch it off Reserve before you get low on gas again so you're not suddenly completely empty.

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #11
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Fixed it a bit, but that's a good simple test. With a full tank, just see if Reserve works. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with the reserve pickup. If it does, then there's something more complicated going on, like the previously-mentioned main pickup actually being lower than the reserve pickup somehow. Either way, the petcock will need to be inspected.

I don't know if the 250 is the same, but on the 500, it starts sputtering a bit as I run out of gas at 60mph. It's just long enough for me to panic about what's wrong with my bike, then I realize how many miles I've got on the tank and that I'm just low on gas. I flip the petcock to Reserve, gas starts flowing again, and the bike sputters back up to normal running. The whole process from starting to sputter and then back to normal running is maybe 5 seconds.

If you do completely run out of gas and the engine dies, yes, you'll need to crank it for a bit to open the petcock and refill the carbs before it will run again.

FYI, I always leave my petcock on Reserve for a bit after filling up. This will help draw out any old fuel (though it should get mixed up decently just by refueling) or contaminants (water absorbed by the ethanol will sink to the bottom of the tank), instead of it just building up in the bottom of the tank. This will ensure that you actually have viable gas down at your reserve pickup when you need it. Just make sure you switch it off Reserve before you get low on gas again so you're not suddenly completely empty.
I would hate it if sputtered right when I am pulling into heavy traffic from a stop sign.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 01:39 PM   #12
Omarel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Great stuff. I'm going to test the reserve with a full tank and see what happens

Quote:

How many gallons of gas are you using when it runs out?
I see, I didn't understand the question.

About 3.4 gallons. Only guessing from my fill up.

I'm only getting about 30 miles per gallon unfortunately. So by 80miles I have to head to fill up.

Old May 26th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #13
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
About 3.4 gallons. Only guessing from my fill up.
The specs say it's a 4.8 gallon tank. If you're running out after only 3.4, it seems that you're not able to access all the fuel in tank. This hints at the Reserve pickup simply not working right.

Quote:
I'm only getting about 30 miles per gallon unfortunately. So by 80miles I have to head to fill up.
Yuck. You should be getting close to twice that. While having to make extra fuel stops and spend more on gas are annoying, burning that much extra gas could be having a negative effect on the engine, or indicate some serious problems.

Old May 26th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
You need to find the problem.

My son gets twice that, and he's at redline the majority of the time. No fairings either.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 04:15 PM   #15
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I get 200-250 miles before it sputters a bit and I switched to reserve. I usually fill it up before then.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 09:29 PM   #16
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Pretty sure they are closer to $60. Rebuild kits aren't cheap either, so it's usually best to just go with a new one.

I'd disassemble it and look it over closely first, but do get it fixed. Running out of gas unexpectedly at an inopportune time can be dangerous.
Hmmm....maybe it was the rebuild kit I was thinking of. My bad.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2016, 03:46 AM   #17
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
............ About 3.4 gallons. Only guessing from my fill up.

It can be as simple as a clogged filter inside the tank.
Try blowing some air backwards into the tank while the cap is open and the lever is in reserve.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Trouble...roubleshooting

Old May 29th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #18
Omarel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
It can be as simple as a clogged filter inside the tank.
Try blowing some air backwards into the tank while the cap is open and the lever is in reserve.
1. So it did start with petcock in reserve position. What does that mean?

2. Also, something happens don't know if it's related.

I turn off petcock and when I get back on the bike I forget to turn it back on and I start the bike. It dies of course. I realize the mistake and turn petcock back on but then the bike doesn't start up for a few minutes. The starter button does nothing. As if there's no fuel. Is that normal?

I thought it was the battery but then it started up after a few minutes of rocking the bike.

Old May 29th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:

I turn off petcock and when I get back on the bike I forget to turn it back on and I start the bike. It dies of course. I realize the mistake and turn petcock back on but then the bike doesn't start up for a few minutes. The starter button does nothing. As if there's no fuel. Is that normal?

I thought it was the battery but then it started up after a few minutes of rocking the bike.
Did you do any of the above advised to make reserve work?
If not, it could be a problem with the vent of the gas cap or a small leak in the vacuum tubes; hard to tell from here.

The battery can die after several failed cranking attempts and can recover some after a few minutes.

Old May 30th, 2016, 06:27 AM   #20
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
That means your reserve setting works, which also means there's likely something wrong with your normal pickup.

Quote:

When you say the button does nothing, as if there's no fuel, do you mean it literally does nothing or the bike turns over but does not start? The former is not normal, the latter is. Running the bike with the petcock set to off will drain the bowls of fuel, so it will take a bit of cranking afterward to get them filled back up and for the bike to start.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2016, 07:35 AM   #21
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
There's enough gas in the carb bowls for the engine to run for several minutes, even if the tank is completely removed. Did you just quickly start up the bike, or did you run/ride it for a while on Reserve?

Starting on Reserve means nothing. Running normally on Reserve for an extended time tells you that your Reserve pickup is working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
When you say the button does nothing, as if there's no fuel, do you mean it literally does nothing or the bike turns over but does not start? The former is not normal, the latter is. Running the bike with the petcock set to off will drain the bowls of fuel, so it will take a bit of cranking afterward to get them filled back up and for the bike to start.
To expand on this, the petcock is vacuum-actuated. If you run the carbs out of gas, you'll need to crank the engine for a bit to generate vacuum, so the petcock will open and allow the carbs to refill. The engine obviously can't start if there's no gas, but you can't get more gas without cranking the engine over.

And yes, please clarify. Did the starter button do nothing (as if the key were turned off), or did it crank over without actually starting?