ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 26th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #1
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 07 XL1200L

Talking Alu-rack with top case (Ninja 250ST)

The Alu-rack came in yesterday. Installation went smoothly. I mounted JC Whitney top case (large) on it.

Shipping was sloppy. I don't know who to blame... Twisted Throttle or UPS. Luckily no parts were damaged.

The instruction was very clear and easy to understand. The only confusion I had was how to install the bracket under the rear seat. Take off the bolts that are closer to the tail light.

I suggest loosely fit all the parts before tightening all the bolts to the specified torque.

What you see to the left is the mounting plate for the top case. This goes on the rack. I didn't want to scratch up my new rack, so I placed a piece of exercise mat. I also had to raise the mounting plate, so that the top case will not push down on the rear seat. I still want to be able to take off the rear seat without taking off the top case.

And here she is this morning after my 30 mile commute.

My next project would be to add the side cases. Then I can call her Ninja 250ST - Sport Touring.
grandelatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Looks good, on the JC Whitney top case, I'd suggest putting a bolt through the box into the rack. I've heard a few people say the box has came off the rack before going down the highway. I've had mine on my connie for a year now and havent had a problem though. Thats with a passenger using it as a backrest too.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #3
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Looks good and the red on the case matches your bike. I finally painted the red on mine all black but on yours it works!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #4
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosgarage57 View Post
Looks good, on the JC Whitney top case, I'd suggest putting a bolt through the box into the rack. I've heard a few people say the box has came off the rack before going down the highway. I've had mine on my connie for a year now and havent had a problem though. Thats with a passenger using it as a backrest too.
Thanks for that suggestion. I was debating whether to bolt it down or not. The quality of the plastic isn't very good. So I can see it developing some cracks and the box ending up on a road. I've toured with Pelicans. This case is no where the quality of the Pelicans.

I rode it without bolt-down today for 60 miles. It rattled a bit, but never came off. For a while I was riding at 80 mph (indicated) without any problem. But I think I am going to take your advise and bolt it down.

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #5
grandelatte
Go Pack Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
Looks good and the red on the case matches your bike. I finally painted the red on mine all black but on yours it works!
Thanks

The next step is to place LEDs under the red plastic in the back. I think I can put run/brake/turn lights in there.

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Johnnyscoots
Over 40 Ninjette Owner

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki VN900C (Black), 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Red/Two Bros. Slip on, 41 Tooth Rear Sprocket)

Now that I see what that looks like on your red ninjette, it makes me wonder what I gotta scrimp on to get the Alu rack for MY red ninjette...decisions...

Johnny

Old July 27th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandelatte View Post
Thanks

The next step is to place LEDs under the red plastic in the back. I think I can put run/brake/turn lights in there.
Yup! I've got it on mine. I cant pull up youtube at work, but if you go to youtube (can you search by user name?) if you can type in Bosgarage57.

Oh I found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7XPopz5cvw
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2011, 05:54 AM   #8
bungie4
IBA # 44620

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 94 Ninja EX250F, 2004 Yamaha FJR 1300

I just mounted a set of huge throw-overs on my Ninja (it's a commuter for me). I posted pics over on the 'What did you do to your Ninja today' thread.

I've got a Givi for my FJR and was looking at the twisted throttle rack and mount. I might have to spring for it.

As for the top box itself.

Rattling. By yourself some cheap weatherstripping foam tape. Cut a couple of strips off and stick it to the underside of the top box. No more rattling!

Admore makes some very good quality LED kits for top boxes. I have the brakelight kit in the GIVI and its BRIGHT. Also, the reflected backing behind the lenses is just cheap ****. Go to you boating store and get yourself some SOLAS (Safety of Life At Sea) reflective tape from 3M. Replace the cheap **** with the tape. Everybody will ask where you got the 'full light kit' for the top box - cheap mod that works fantastic.
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote