ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 23rd, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Courtney

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

speeding

So I live in Canada and I got a speeding ticket in California... Has any other Canadian been in this situation? The cop was less then helpful for helping me figure out the cost and how to pay it...
ME: Do you know how much the ticket is?
COP:No, you'll get a letter in the mail in 2 weeks.
ME:You honestly dont know how much the ticket will be? Like seriously have no idea?
COP:You ll get a letter in the mail in 2 wks.
ME:k, great, thanks for your help! (sarcasm for those to stupid to pick it up)

Oh and the best part of this ticket was the fact he issued my partner one as well, who wasnt speeding nor was he around me when I got pulled over, he was running on empty and we didnt know how far from town we were... He pulled up ahead of me after I was already stopped because he thought he had my DL. So the cop claimed he was speeding as well because 'we were travelling together'... makes sense... idoit... Anyways Im just looking for how other people have dealt with it and what if I choose to not pay it? I heard the points wont go on my license... But if I dont pay Theres a chance I can t get back into America. I also told the cop that we were going to dispute my partners ticket... I peaked over the hill and the cop got me ... He lit up and I pulled over in front of him at the bottom of the hill. By the time I was pulled over and the cop out of his car my partner was just coming over the hill.My favorite part was my asshole partner telling the cop that my bike couldnt go as fast as he 'visualled' me cause 'its only a 250'... Good One
sassyninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #2
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Cops in CA can't give you a ticket unless they can show you the radar speed. So your friend can easily dispute that in court and win.

I think the ticket will be $70. When I lived in CA you could take traffic school online and get the ticket dismissed. That's right, you don't pay it.

Old August 25th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
Cops in CA can't give you a ticket unless they can show you the radar speed. So your friend can easily dispute that in court and win.

I think the ticket will be $70. When I lived in CA you could take traffic school online and get the ticket dismissed. That's right, you don't pay it.
No to most of these. They don't have to show you any radar speed for a ticket; it's an old wivestale.

Traffic school doesn't dismiss a ticket. In fact, you have to pay for the ticket, you have to pay for the traffic school itself, and sometimes there's even a court processing fee (though small) for the ability to take traffic school (online or in person).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #4
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

@FvnnyL3tt3r1ng how long ago did you live in Cali lol. Traffic school doesn't excempt you from paying a ticket. It does, however, remove any points charged to your driving record from the ticket. This keeps your record clean and prevents your insurance from increasing, but you can only do this once every 18 months (pretty sure it's 18).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
No to most of these. They don't have to show you any radar speed for a ticket; it's an old wivestale.
I read somewhere, maybe even here, that a cop can even give a ticket based on how fast a car is going compared to the traffic around it. As in, the cop doesn't even need to have a radar, if he/she can clearly see your car going much faster than surrounding traffic. True?
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

True. The officer must have a visual on the target, and they are required to estimate the speed of the target. They then are supposed to use the radar or lidar to confirm their estimate. We can all make assumptions on whether that's really how it happens, but that's how it's supposed to happen, at least.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #6
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

LOL people think police follow rules

Old August 26th, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
speeding tickets range on price depending on a few factors. its usually between 200 to 500$

of course you don't need to pay it if you don't plan on returning. i don't think canada extradites based on speeding tickets.

Old August 26th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #8
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Officers with enough experience and training can get a visual estimate of speed without radar fairly easy, it's not hard to figure out how fast someone is going within a few miles per hour. There's a simple calculation to determine the speed that officers use. The length of time from one object to another (say 100ft) can be calculated into your actual mph and if done correctly can be nearly spot on. Also, police don't set the ticket pricing so I'm not sure why you'd get annoyed at him. I find it funny how people rant about getting pulled over when they put themselves in that situation.

As for your buddy he can dispute it and try his luck but he'd have to show up in court.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
speeding tickets range on price depending on a few factors. its usually between 200 to 500$

of course you don't need to pay it if you don't plan on returning. i don't think canada extradites based on speeding tickets.
Somehow I think your insurance is going to find out about it anyway. Just a guess, mind you.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #10
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

I'm not annoyed for getting the ticket.... I fully accept the ticket! I'll be the first to step up and own it and I did when my partner try d to aurgue my bike can't go that fast to the officer! I'm annoyed that ticket prices don't vary from person to person whatsoever they are a set amount for whatever category you fall into, it's something he should know or at least be able to better answer my questions! If your going to give a 'foreigner' a ticket at least have the knowledge to answer the most simplest questions of how to deal with it... It's professionalism!

Old August 26th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #11
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Also his 'visual estimate' is pree pathetic seeing how he wasn't facing us he was turned around an looking at us through his mirrors...

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

I get your drift, and I think both you and your partner have reason to be upset but for different reasons. Here in Tennessee and also in Virginia, the mph the officer writes is critical because above a certain amount over the limit (in VA it's 20mph) you also automatically get a reckless driving ticket that takes your license.

The best time to plea bargain is when the officer gets his ticket book out. After that point it gets expensive unless there's a lawyer in the family.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #13
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Do you know if British Columbia has an agreement with California about tickets fines and demerit points?

Here in Québec, the Province has agreements with some States in the north east, so if you get a ticket, it is registered in your driving license and you even lose demerit points on it. So it's already annoying to not know how the ticket will cost you, but even more, it is the risk of losing points. Here, the more you loose points, the higher your driving license will cost you. Even worst, we pay for our car driving license and for our motorcycle license, but if you have a ticket, the point you loose appear on both.

But enough ranting on my irrelevant things...

Hope it won't cost you too much!
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #14
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

I'm pretty sure BC has no such agreements... Seein how that won't even happen if I was to get an excessive in Alberta! I could choose to not pay it and it wouldn't effect me.. But that's Canada...I'm hoping it's like that in this situation, not that I won't pay it, I will just because I wanna go back to America(not cal) I just don't want points or an insurance bump seems like I'll just have to go through this to find out!

Old August 28th, 2013, 02:16 PM   #15
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I just got back from the Superior Court in Pittsburg to pay my speeding ticket. $418 when all was said and done

rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #16
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

That sucks still haven't gotten anything in the mail yet but I went and talked to my insurance brOker and asked how this is gonna affect my insurance and DL and she said it won't effect me at all!! But said I should pay it so they ll let me back in hahaha I was planning on paying it either way!

Old September 6th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #17
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Finally got my 'letter' regarding my traffic 'citation'.... It's gonna be 237$ USD... I can live with that, but I love the intensity of the letter... In short it states failure to respond to this notice by the date due may result in my bail being increased, another charge, a hold/suspension on my DL and possibly a warrant for my arrest which results in 6mnths in jail. Nice to see they re willing to waste 50 times my ticket cost to provide accomindations and meals for 6mnths for not paying 237$!

Old September 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM   #18
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

^That's where the varying part comes in.... LOL

Cali was always like that, they look at your past history, and they charge accordingly.

Here in Florida, says right on your ticket what the fine is.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2013, 02:24 PM   #19
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Same here! The ticket is the exact same charge no matter what for everyone! I believe the tickets start at 1-20km over then 20-40km over and after 40km over you lose your DL for a certain amount of time and they impound your vehicle and if i had gotten the ticket here in BC I can get 25$ off my ticket if I pay it within 30 days

Old September 11th, 2013, 08:51 PM   #20
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Stupid question but does it matter? You live in Canada what can the CHP do?
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #21
sassyninja
ninjette.org member

Arrest me if I get pulled over in America or not let me back in....