ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 16th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #1
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Kickstand safety kill switch removal?

I've heard about it, but it finally happened to me.

Was riding yesterday and on a left turn going uphill on a road I'm pretty familiar with. During the turn, I felt part of the bike lightly being scrapped/dragged. After stopping, it took me a couple minutes to figure out what was.. at first I thought it was my foot peg but after examining that, it was clean from any scrapes.

Then I looked below it, to the lowest part of the bike to the ground on the left side of the bike... the the Kickstand safety kill switch. It was clear that it was dragged as the scrape was very clean and fresh after I looked underneath it.

It's a worry, at least to me, when you start dragging bike, as it can end up bad for you if you hit a bump or something. I'm looking to possibly just remove the thing, but wondering if anyone here knows how and already has. I'm ok with not having the kill switch anymore to shut the bike off or keep it off if the kickstand's down. After looking at how it's mounted, I believe I should be able to figure it out, but just thought I'd ask ahead to see if anyone has the know how already. Anyone?

If it's not clear what I'm talking about, I can post some pics later.
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #2
kkim

I haven't removed it, but if you're taking the switch off, watch out... the next to touch will be the side stand bracket (or sidestand) itself. When that touches, you stand (no pun intended) a good chance of going down. it's happened to others on this board.

Perhaps you need to rethink your cornering style to keep the bike more upright? it's not all about how low you can get the bike or touching your knee as you're finding out.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'd work on technique. If you're dragging that safety switch at street speeds, either your speeds are inappropriate for the street, or your technique needs work.

On a dedicated trackbike, it's a different story (and it may even make sense to remove the entire kickstand assembly at that point).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #4
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

http://www.newninja.com/modification...witch-removal/
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #5
kkim

thanks for that, Gary. Now I remember why I'm on ninjette.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Now I remember why I'm on ninjette.
because i am here?
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

the kickstand mount as a whole is dangerous. i don't think taking the switch off will help your problem. if you're going to continue to ride aggressively (and it sounds like you will), i suggest cutting that entire bracket off and finding another solution for your kickstand needs... maybe one of those ones that clamps to your swing arm. that bracket is going to mess you up otherwise. it crashed my brother.

may i also suggest that if you are going to ride aggresively that you do it on the track where you don't end up a bloody mess if something should happen.

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #8
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom View Post
the kickstand mount as a whole is dangerous. i don't think taking the switch off will help your problem. if you're going to continue to ride aggressively (and it sounds like you will), i suggest cutting that entire bracket off and finding another solution for your kickstand needs... maybe one of those ones that clamps to your swing arm. that bracket is going to mess you up otherwise. it crashed my brother.

may i also suggest that if you are going to ride aggresively that you do it on the track where you don't end up a bloody mess if something should happen.
I'm planning to work on my technique and slow down a little bit.
Just wondering tho broom, since yours is a track bike, did you cut the bracket off or did you keep it on?

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

its totally gone.

dad cutting it off

best pict i have of it gone. we trimmed the body to clear the bracket before we decided to cut it off completely.
click to see it big

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #10
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

shiiiet. haha ok thanks for the pics. I'll take a look at home since my work blocks that website