ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #1
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

Tried shimming, got stuck

I got stuck being unable to unscrew those ridiculous screws on the carbs. I KNOW there have been other people that had the same problem (the top right screw) i did everything I could/read and it's almost stripped so I had to stop. I didn't see any solution to getting it out easily. It's really put me in a pretty bad mood because I bought the JIS screwdrivers JUST so this wouldn't happen, and that screw just won't come out. I think pulling my carb out would be a little over my head. I could really use some advice. Thanks in advance guys.
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #2
kkim

A little late for you now, but you need to apply down ward pressure (lots of downward pressure) as you turn the screw. If the screwdriver starts to slip out of the head, you need to exert more downward force and then turn.

Others in your predicament have used some vice grips on the screw, if you can get it in there or slot the head with a dremel, then use a screwdriver to get the stubborn screw out.

last resort is to pull the carbs or leave the bike as is after putting back the screws you have removed.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #3
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Yea i read about the downward pressure in the other thread so I put as much as I could. The palms of my hands hurt from pushing down on it, but I still couldn't get it. IDK if we have any vice grips, but I'll check tomorrow morning. I'm calling it quits for tonight.. I'd hate to have to put it all back on because my exhaust is in the mail and I'd really like to figure this out. Thanks Kelly, I appreciate the help as always

Old August 8th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Try the dremel trick, I think (correct me if I'm wrong) you have to cut a little slit in the screw then just unscrew it.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
CANTFUNCTION
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250(red)

I would try using vice grips first and if that does work then break out the dremel. If you use the dremel you want to make the screw a flat head.

Also you are going to have to get new screws. Your best bet is to go ACE, Home Depot or Lowe's. The size is 4mm-.70 x 16mm. I would get allen head type of bolt.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24285
CANTFUNCTION is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #6
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Ok cool, thanks guys. I didn't know what a dremel was, and I definitely don't own one, but if the vice grips don't work, I'll try that Much appreciated, and thanks for the screw size Chris!

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #7
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Nathan - you can also use a file to file a slot into it, but the dremel is much faster. A friend of my dad's told me this weekend that he saw a variable speed rotary tool (aka a generic dremel) at advance auto for $20 a week or so ago...

Old August 9th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #8
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Thanks Kim, I'll check that out. I got a pair of needle nose vice grips, and that stupid screw won't budge. It's made immensely harder by being almost totally inaccessible. Even with a file, dremel, etc. can someone help me out by either telling or showing me the easiest way to get into that screw? I've been going at it from the top (angled towards the carb cover), but if there is an easier way, please let me know.

Old August 9th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I had to use the dremel trick. The cutting disc was a bit big so I made it smaller by cutting on a rock for a couple of minutes. It was then small enough in diameter to get in there comfortably. After cutting the slot I used a flathead and it came out fine. I used that screw on another hole. Wish I would have thought to get replacement screws before putting everything back together, but I made sure everything was snug.

I also had to use a small needle-nose vices on other screws. Those darn things can really ruin your day.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
I had to use the dremel trick. The cutting disc was a bit big so I made it smaller by cutting on a rock for a couple of minutes. It was then small enough in diameter to get in there comfortably. After cutting the slot I used a flathead and it came out fine. I used that screw on another hole. Wish I would have thought to get replacement screws before putting everything back together, but I made sure everything was snug.

I also had to use a small needle-nose vices on other screws. Those darn things can really ruin your day.
lol... now I remember who was having problems with these screws.

how about some words of encouragement for ARF? Was it worth the headaches?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #11
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Absolutely. My confidence in my Ninjette went up several orders of magnitude. It no longer sputters when taking off from a stop, accelerates faster, and with the removal of the snorkel, sounds a lot meaner. Warming up doesn't take as long, either. I haven't even noticed a drop in fuel economy.

You bet, absolutely worth the headaches.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #12
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately I think I'm just going to have to shell out and pay for a jet kit. I'm driving up to school tomorrow and I really don't have any garage or place to work with tools like that or for long periods of time. Thanks again for all the help and advice every