ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 29th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Name: Vinh

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Intuitive Frame Sliders SUCK

okay so i was taking down my bike from its rear stand... and it tipped to the right...

frame slider did save the fairing, but it completely bent into it and the mounting bracket inside the fairing shifted and almost hit the black block near the bolt..

it may have saved my fairing, but sh*t, i did not expect it to move at all. now i have one frame slider on the left which really wont do any good, but i figure its better than nothing. if i left the right one on, the pressure it was putting on my fairing was sure to crack it soon.

what a waste of money.

i really hope when i order the shogun sliders, they can withstand more than 1 drop and wont shift like that. oh and now i have a dent on my wooden flooring in my condo. (yes i work on my bike indoors. way too hot and humid outdoors for me to do anything)

Old July 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #2
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

what did you want them to do?

Old July 29th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeL View Post
what did you want them to do?
not shift into the damn engine block. at any speed, it was bound to go straight into it and the bracket could easily damage it. that and the bar extending out would pretty much have cracked my fairing if its not at a stand still.

Old July 29th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

all pointed out in the wiki

Old July 29th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #5
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

yeah i read that, but considering i was still holding onto the bike as it tipped over in my condo, it wasnt even a full drop with no support. i was sliding in my socks as it fell, so i took probably 1/4 of the weight off and slowed the fall down significantly.

yet it still bent the "dog ears" and managed to bend the extending bar itself. they may be cheaper than shoguns and all, but damn, THAT cheap... disappointing.

Old July 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #6
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

You are aware that the sliders are designed for racing to protect your fairing when leaning too much in turns and not for drops or crashes although they do help protect the fairings but the sliders often break on impact depending on the kind.

Old July 29th, 2009, 07:00 PM   #7
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
You are aware that the sliders are designed for racing to protect your fairing when leaning too much in turns and not for drops or crashes although they do help protect the fairings but the sliders often break on impact depending on the kind.

Old July 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #8
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
Huh? I think the sliders are more effective on a streetbike than a race bike.

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

yeah.. so i guess even these intuitive frame sliders cant be allowed to be put on its side or the dog ears will bend even when im holding up a decent portion of its weight.

people on a budget, as myself, buy these products expecting SOME comfort that they will help protect from a low speed fall or even a tip over. but even a tip over was too much. that is what i am upset about.

ive ordered shoguns already because i EXPECT them to do a better job. now if they still arent enough, then someone please speak up.

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #10
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

I put my down at about 40MPH and the Shoguns did a great job of minimizing damage. Nothing bent... the braces are very strong.

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #11
stroked59
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 2505

Do any of the manufacture's post what type of steel they use.... i ask because i am Fabricator, Welder, Machinist with some experience making such items for friends. i use D.O.M or Chomoly tubing with a minimum of sch. 40 thickness...... cut the damaged one apart and check it, then you could make a suggestion for future part's being manufactured from whom ever made it.... my two cent's
stroked59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #12
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

wiki says theres some dremelling needed. did you have to do that?

Old July 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #13
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

i think i saw some website post the specs, im sure the manuf website says it and probably say how awesome they are as well

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #14
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I have heard horror stories about intuitives and shoguns both. Intuitives have more said about the and they can bend "easily" and damage the block. I have also seen the shoguns which are made better fail miserably as well although very rare and the end up doing more damage than the intuitive will ie punching through the crank case. There really if no built proof slider but take a chance on the one you feel is less likely to cost you more in the end.

Old July 30th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #15
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

nothing is ever fail proof, but if itll save the bike on a tip over or a low speed crash, then im happy. i dont plan to track or anything like that. if im going over 30, i dont really expect much from them. i think if i crash going at high speeds, i have more things to worry about than my bike.

Old July 30th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #16
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

I don't beleive in slider, I'll save that 200$ and put it toward repairing anything if I ever drop the bike :/

Old July 30th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #17
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
I don't beleive in slider, I'll save that 200$ and put it toward repairing anything if I ever drop the bike :/
i thought about that. and even though i paid 100 for my intuitives, it saved me from a cracked fairing, which is ~200. i bought the bike with 1 bad fairing and 1 good fairing. this time it landed on the good side, so i was fortunate to have SOMETHING there. even though it got dangerously close to the engine block, it did save the fairing at the least.

Old July 30th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #18
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

In my opinion, the best protection is a set of rear sets (non folding foot pegs). The clip ons, foot pegs and engine cases do pretty well in a get off. The only sliders I would use are ones that attach straight on an engine bolt, which means cutting the body work. This is just from my personal experience going down on the track.. I mean, seeing other guys going down on the track
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2009, 11:20 PM   #19
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the frame sliders all of the force of the impact is being directed into one spot, which seems like it would make things worse as opposed to it landing on the fairings and the force being distributed over a much wider area. I would think that damaged plastics would be a much better outcome than tweaking the frame or damaging anything else the sliders are mounted to. I don't claim to know much about frame sliders so if I have my ideas about them all wrong somebody please correct me.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM   #20
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the frame sliders all of the force of the impact is being directed into one spot, which seems like it would make things worse as opposed to it landing on the fairings and the force being distributed over a much wider area. I would think that damaged plastics would be a much better outcome than tweaking the frame or damaging anything else the sliders are mounted to. I don't claim to know much about frame sliders so if I have my ideas about them all wrong somebody please correct me.
That's what I thought too, but I guess sliders are made to collapse to they do absorb some of the impact..but you still have to replace the slides after a crash, and if the whole braket bends, well you have to buy another slider to replace it..makes you wonder if you really are saving money

Old August 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM   #21
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

The other option are SATO which seem ok and look like they would not do any damage to the frame if a fall occurs. The sell for $239 CAD from http://www.xtsportbikeaccessories.com/Sliders.html

Old August 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #22
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

i think sliders will save you money only in situations where you would have lost money for a dumb reason such as the wind knocking over your bike or if you forget to put the kickstand down. its nice to have atleast taht kind of insurance so you dont have a cracked up scratched up fairing because it was excessively windy.... (atleast shoguns would save you money havent heard of them doing any more damage to the bike in a simple case like this). As far as im concerned, if the bike is moving and goes down, the only thing thats going to save any part of it is going to be a ton of bubble wrap

Old August 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #23
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

i installed my innys a couple days ago!

Old August 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #24
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

just installed my shoguns and they are definitely worth the premium!

Old August 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #25
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie11 View Post
just installed my shoguns and they are definitely worth the premium!
test them and get back to me...

Old August 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #26
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

how long did the install take for the shoguns?

Old August 7th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #27
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

install took less than 1 hour using http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=135171
fairing removal <5min
jack up engine <1min
remove intuitive front bolt & stock rear bolt <5min
place shogun bars and bolts in and torq'ing <10min
install pucks <5min
check clearance <1min
cut sprocket cover on left side ~20min
put everything back together <10min
I used a drummel tool to cut the sprocket cover, a bit cleaner than a saw as used in the DIY

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #28
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

cool, seems like everything went well. how do they look? they tend to look pretty cool imo
hopefully you wont ever find out if they work or not

Old August 7th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #29
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

i love the look! very large pucks really give me more confidence it will do its job, hopefully never!

Old August 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #30
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeL View Post
test them and get back to me...
well... i tested them

actually, i was teaching my fiancee and she tried to turn it around and it fell on its side

scratched it up..

but completely fine! still not touching teh fairings, and this time it fell with its full weight bc my girl cant hold it up once it started to tilt so it slammed on its side and the rear pegs, but no damage. i removed teh fairings to check for any bends and its in great shape!

VERY happy!!

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #31
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

geez Vinh - they were kidding when they asked you to test them! Was she moving or stationary when it fell? Glad to hear the bike lasted it ok - how's the GF?

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #32
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

gf was my last priority

lol jk, shes fine

it was moving at like 3mph bc she was trying to wheel it around on her feet and there was a slight slope..

i think the sliders actually saved her leg because she was pretty much fully under it when it fell and i heard it hit the sliders but she said she didnt feel anything... her also having skinny legs helped too lol

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #33
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

You win!

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #34
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

well I know what to get now, thanks
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #35
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by demp View Post
well I know what to get now, thanks
A gf with skinny legs?