ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 15th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Question Tire de-lamination?

I discovered this mark on my rear tire (Sport Demon) the other day. It looks almost like a shallow cut, but the direction looks like it slants in-wards (away from tire rotation). It doesn't look like I could have hit anything, but I am wondering if it is starting to de-laminate?

You can tell by the tread it should have PLENTY of life left. It only has a few thousand miles on it (commuting miles mainly). If this were a defect, are tires warranted like car tires? Since my dealer recently went under, would any dealer be able to take care of it? I may be putting the cart before the horse on this second paragraph, so hopefully it is a moot point.

Edit: Opps, I forgot to add the pics...

headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #2
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

You should be fine - here are a couple of relevant threads:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...highlight=tire

and this one from KF that I linked in the above thread:
http://www.kawiforums.com/two-wheele...-thoughts.html

Old August 15th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You're likely fine, but tire manufacturers are pretty good about replacing tires like this as well. If i were you I'd call the company/business where you purchased the tires, let them know something weird is happening to them, and what their policy is. Send 'em these pictures. No promises, but I have a hunch you'll be able to get the tire changed out either free or quite cheaply if you pursue it with them. How deep are those cracks, do they look like they are getting worse or better as the tire wears?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
You're likely fine, but tire manufacturers are pretty good about replacing tires like this as well. If i were you I'd call the company/business where you purchased the tires, let them know something weird is happening to them, and what their policy is. Send 'em these pictures. No promises, but I have a hunch you'll be able to get the tire changed out either free or quite cheaply if you pursue it with them. How deep are those cracks, do they look like they are getting worse or better as the tire wears?
The company is now kaput, so I would have to go to a different dealer.

I just noticed it last week, so I haven't had enough time to see if it is getting worse... I'll keep an eye on it though.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'd try and get the number for the Pirelli US distributor from their main website and call them directly, they might be help you out as well.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #6
noche_caliente

Bob- if you didn't feel like reading through JT's thread on KF, this was his resolution:
Quote:
UPDATE: well i talked to indysuperbikes a few minutes ago & shortly after that a pirelli rep called me on my cell phone himself & stated that its PURELY cosmetic & that there is NOTHING to fret about (cool word to use ) he also stated that its fairly common for tires to do that in soft compounds such as the cIII's & even went as far to say that some of the DOT race tires will have similar markings... I must say that i'm impressed that the pirelli guy even called me to calm my spirits & assure me that my product is in perfect shape... soooooooo looks like i'll keep my pirelli's on & stay sticky

Old August 15th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
Bob- if you didn't feel like reading through JT's thread on KF, this was his resolution:
Does that mean all pirelli sport demons will do this? if so, I'd prefer another tire that wouldn't look like that. I've never had my tires do that no matter what the brand. I think the Pirelli guy was just BSing his way through this so he wouldn't have to cover replacing the tires.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I've been through many sets of 'em, and have never seen anything like that.

Old August 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #9
noche_caliente

there were quite a few folks who chimed in with the same response - and there was a quote later about the guy not wanting to risk his job or the company's reputation when they could easily replace the tire if it were going to be a problem... idk, they seemed pretty happy with the response over there, and it sounded like several folks had similar situations without anything going wrong... I'm just the messenger in this case - hopefully if Bob calls them he'll get a quick response like JT did

Old August 15th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #10
kkim

noche... not trying to shoot the messenger. just that if that was the explanation given me, I'd start to wonder about the quality of that company's tires. Like I said, I've never had that happen to any of my tires in my life.

Alex, can you comment on that rep's observation that this happens to DOT race tires?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I really can't say. If I were at the track and it was happening to a tire on my bike, I'd show it directly to the tire guys there to get their opinion on that particular tire. Maybe it's not that abnormal, maybe it's not dangerous, really hard to say, even from this picture. Also, it's unclear if the Pirelli rep's quote here would apply to exactly what's happening on this pictured tire, perhaps there is a difference in what's happening.