ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #1
Graugaard
ninjette.org member

Name: Elias

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

How many $ do you earn / hour?

Sorry for this weird question but i'm making a school project and would love to have some data how much people earn around the world for their jobs, to see how diffrent the income is... So if you please could tell me:

Country/State:
income each hour:

Also is there a minimum income/hour in the US?

I know many will keep this private, I respect that 100% but hope some can answer. Thanks!
Graugaard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

For the US: What People Earn (2013)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:59 AM   #3
Alienjoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1995 CBR600F3 "The Project"

United States, New York
New York City Department of Sanitation aka Garbage Man
Current base pay before over time $28 an hour or $57,000 a year. Last year I made 70,000 with overtime included.

Next month I hit my top pay after 5.5 years in my position. Before overtime will bump up to 69,000 a year.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Graugaard
ninjette.org member

Name: Elias

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

thanks both and nice link very useful!
Graugaard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Country/State: California
job: sell ****
income each hour: 3 motorcycles and 6 trackdays per year
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Country / State: US / California
Profession: Welder
Hourly Income: $38.30

Quote:
There is a federal minimum wage, and also each state has their own minimum wage that supersedes federal as long as it meets or exceeds it.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM   #7
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Working two jobs

Amateur drunk
15bottles everclear
25 bottles of makers mark

Self employed
$0k/yr

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:55 AM   #8
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

How rude! None of your business! This is possibly one off the rudest things you could do over here is to ask someone their wage.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:24 AM   #9
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graugaard View Post
Sorry for this weird question but i'm making a school project and would love to have some data how much people earn around the world for their jobs, to see how diffrent the income is... So if you please could tell me:

Country/State:
income each hour:

I know many will keep this private, I respect that 100% but hope some can answer. Thanks!
Country/State:
job: Operations Analyst
income each hour: Professional staff at around $19~38/hr. Depends on a few things, but roughly between $40~$50k a year for my job.

Indiana's min. wage is $7.25/hr. I believe it's getting an increase soon though. Where I work, hourly employees are only permitted 1990 hours a year. If they go over 1990, they must be given full benefits just as if they were a salary employee.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:02 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I am constantly amazed by how expectations of privacy have changed over time. Younger people seem to find nothing wrong with sharing amazing amounts of personal information with complete strangers.

I know how much I make. So does my wife, my employer and the government.

Nobody else does. Not family, not parents, nobody.

It's impolite to talk about it. It's also impolite to ask.

None of your damn business.

I suggest you get stats from the Department of Labor and/or the Census Bureau. Those are official government numbers and blinded.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:12 AM   #11
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I am constantly amazed by how expectations of privacy have changed over time. Younger people seem to find nothing wrong with sharing amazing amounts of personal information with complete strangers.

I know how much I make. So does my wife, my employer and the government.

Nobody else does. Not family, not parents, nobody.

None of your damn business.

I suggest you get stats from the Department of Labor and/or the Census Bureau. Those are official government numbers and blinded.
Personally, I don't see any harm in sharing that data. It in no way puts me in further danger or risk of anything. I feel that considering job/pay sensitive is a bit dated. My job (and many other) publicly post employees and their salary as it is. I respect that it's still commonly considered private and I don't ask, but I definitely don't mind when people ask me about my work or details.

Just my 2 cents. Not a personal attack.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:31 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Here's why it's rude:

When you make a LOT more than the other guy (or vice versa) it instantly changes perceptions and relationships, and never (in my experience) for the better. As long as you're making about the same, no problem… you're colleagues. You get to gripe about the same stuff. But when there's a lot of disparity, it's a different ball game.

If you're having a beer with Joe Burgerflipper and commiserating with him over the minimum wage it's one thing. But how would you feel if that same guy turned out to be a billionaire CEO? Now the guy is the one holding wages down, not the guy suffering from low pay. How much money you make and how much you've got DOES matter to how people perceive you.

It's very much like sharing your IQ. I can tell you from personal experience that it is not wise to allow people to know that you are a lot smarter than they are. They stop treating you as an equal. You can SEE the attitude shift.

As much as we all like to think we're open-minded and fair, it is human nature to apply stereotypes. You're one of "us" or you're one of "them." Income is one of the things that gets used to make these unfair judgments.

I have no problem with knowing how much certain jobs pay. It's the link between pay and a specific individual that's an egregious invasion of privacy.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:38 AM   #13
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Here's why it's rude:

When you make a LOT more than the other guy (or vice versa) it instantly changes perceptions and relationships, and never (in my experience) for the better. As long as you're making about the same, no problem… you're colleagues. You get to gripe about the same stuff. But when there's a lot of disparity, it's a different ball game.

If you're having a beer with Joe Burgerflipper and commiserating with him over the minimum wage it's one thing. But how would you feel if that same guy turned out to be a billionaire CEO? Now the guy is the one holding wages down, not the guy suffering from low pay. How much money you make and how much you've got DOES matter to how people perceive you.

It's very much like sharing your IQ. I can tell you from personal experience that it is not wise to allow people to know that you are a lot smarter than they are. They stop treating you as an equal. You can SEE the attitude shift.

As much as we all like to think we're open-minded and fair, it is human nature to apply stereotypes. You're one of "us" or you're one of "them." Income is one of the things that gets used to make these unfair judgments.

I have no problem with knowing how much certain jobs pay. It's the link between pay and a specific individual that's an egregious invasion of privacy.
I understand and see your point of view. I can't help but think that some issues we have with salary distribution is due to the fact that we 'hide' our salary from others. Because our salaries where I work are public, I know how much everyone in my department makes and those values all seem extremely fair. I feel like hiding that information is like sweeping the real problem under the rug. It's really such a gray area and I don't have enough experience with other companies (I've been with the same one since I started college) so perhaps I must a bit naive.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:51 AM   #14
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
I am constantly amazed by how expectations of privacy have changed over time.
It's not just you! I think it's a more American thing, I caught a woman asking my mum a fifteen minute servey in Disney World MGM holywood whatever they call it now, I asked the lady doing the survey "How much are you paying us for our data?" she said "What do you mean?" I said "We'll, i've payed a lot of money to spend my time here, you plan to take some of my time, you also have a value assigned to my data, how much do you plan to reimburse me off my ticket and pay me for my data?" She thought I was being rude and left.

Like you say, the only people that know my wage are the tax man and my employer, it's a sackable offence if I disclose my wage also, I have no plans to anyway.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:00 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
I don't disagree terribly, but I'm not sure if that opinion is shared worldwide. Different countries have different norms about what's appropriate for sharing. The OP is in Denmark; I wonder what reactions are typical when asking the question in his neck of the woods. But in the US (and evidently the UK), it isn't typically openly shared information.

Quote:
I can tell you from personal experience that it is not wise to allow people to know that you are a lot smarter than they are.
OK, be honest, how many times could this possibly have happened to you?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:40 AM   #16
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
it's a sackable offence if I disclose my wage also, I have no plans to anyway.
i thought your wage was public info, why would they sack you?

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:42 AM   #17
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graugaard View Post
For those of you getting angry and/or pissed, please read the above. As much effort has it took you to reply angrily or rudely, it would have taken less effort to just read another post/thread. After all, he only asked (politely), not demanded
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:54 AM   #18
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
i thought your wage was public info, why would they sack you?
In the U.S. wages are typically not public info, especially among employees. Most employers actively discourage sharing that kind of information with your peers.

@OP

I am a younger fellow myself and agree a lot with what @NathanUc says about "hiding" your salary.

However, @adouglas also makes many legitimate points.

I wonder if the points he made are caused by the fact that we discourage disclosing that kind of information.

It would be interesting to see if we'd behave/feel the same about salaries if we were used to greater transparency in that particular area.

Conceptually it is an interesting topic and there are so many different variables to swing either way.

The truth of the matter is that we do indeed change our thoughts towards a person if we knew how much money they are making in relation to ourselves. Why this happens could be a topic all its own.

The U.S. is a relatively large country, geographically, compared to the rest of the world.

Cost of living is an important key component to keep in mind. It directly influences wage levels. The higher the cost of living in a particular area, typically the higher the wages to offset the cost of living.

For example:

A "sanitation engineer" (garbage man) out in New York could be starting out at 60k a year. However, the price of pretty much everything in New York is super inflated. The money someone is paying on rent for a 1 bedroom apartment could be as high as someone's morgage for a house here in Georgia for instance.

California is another area of the country with a very high cost of living.

Someone could be making 60k a year in an area with a very high cost of living and not be any better off than someone making 30k a year in an area with a much lower cost of living.

See what I'm saying?

You could be doing the exact same job as someone else in a different state and your pay would be different due to the difference in cost of living.

Typically the more densely populated an area, the higher the "cost of living" and the more money employers are willing/have to pay you.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:54 AM   #19
CynicalC

Quote:
it's a sackable offence if I disclose my wage also, I have no plans to anyway.
Then why did you click on this thread, dipshit? Obviously if people are answering him, they don't find the question offensive. If you're so insecure ahout what you - and others make, this thread wasn't intended for you.

As for myself, not only is my salary public record, but the guardian makes sure to publish it every year for good measure.

@adouglas, you aren't the only one here with a high or even genius level IQ. That number doesn't make you smarter than anyone else here. In fact, you may be one of the dumbest among us. But you go ahead and keep paying your mickey mouse club dues so that the nice people will pat you on the head and give you a paper telling you how smart you are every year.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:55 AM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

I view it this way:

He's getting some valuable insight into attitudes about money that can serve as input for his project.

Specificially, he's learning that his data is going to be biased because of survey respondent self selection.

The responses might even make an interesting part of the report. If I were writing such a report I'd view that as a valid topic in and of itself... see if attitudes about money correlate to per capita income of the country, for example, or if there are other social drivers that affect how willing people are to discuss their income, or if it's an age-related thing.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:01 AM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
@adouglas, you aren't the only one here with a high or even genius level IQ. That number doesn't make you smarter than anyone else here. In fact, you may be one of the dumbest among us. But you go ahead and keep paying your mickey mouse club dues so that the nice people will pat you on the head and give you a paper telling you how smart you are every year.
I never said I was smarter than anyone else here, nor did I suggest that other forum members do not have a high IQ, yet that was the perception.

You have just made my point better than I ever could. The mere mention changes everything. Based on the tone of the post, it's fair to say it doesn't exactly bring out the best in people.

So I'll just keep the size of my package to myself.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:17 AM   #22
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:

It's the myspace/facebook/online BS generation. 99% of their info is just imagination. In other words, they are full of shite. They don't feel bad about lying since they feel no one will ever know the truth (don't believe anything you see on the internet).

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:20 AM   #23
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
It's the myspace/facebook/online BS generation. 99% of their info is just imagination. In other words, they are full of shite. They don't feel bad about lying since they feel no one will ever know the truth (don't believe anything you see on the internet).
In that case I'm happy to report that I make $485 per hour. Really.

I also have hair like Fabio. The avatar is an expert Photoshop job.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:22 AM   #24
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
In that case I'm happy to report that I make $485 per hour. Really.

I also have hair like Fabio. The avatar is an expert Photoshop job.
Hopefully that's 24/7.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:34 AM   #25
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Then why did you click on this thread, dipshit? Obviously if people are answering him, they don't find the question offensive. If you're so insecure ahout what you - and others make, this thread wasn't intended for you.

As for myself, not only is my salary public record, but the guardian makes sure to publish it every year for good measure.

Please read adouglas's post above, it's simply a matter of discussion, for the sake of having an interesting conversation with a balance of opinion that may not only enrich the op's assignment with a possible bias, but may spark an interest in geopolitical views of salary opinions and personal discolsure of information in other posters.

I find the different opinions on the matter interesting, and I wouldn't discourage a response if it's topical, of which I believe I have been about, unless you want to talk about lesser spotted pigeons, which i'm all for but yall have to start another thread pal!

Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:52 AM   #26
lgk

Quote:
well i am really a drunk, and my entire business is a loss leader...

Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:07 AM   #27
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
well i am really a drunk, and my entire business is a loss leader...
You are the only one I believe! Really, I've read your other posts.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:15 AM   #28
lgk

Quote:
You are the only one I believe! Really, I've read your other posts.
I'm not sure if Gaining your Confidence is a good thing, but oddly i feel better.

Last futzed with by lgk; April 3rd, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:27 AM   #29
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Please read adouglas's post above, it's simply a matter of discussion, for the sake of having an interesting conversation with a balance of opinion that may not only enrich the op's assignment with a possible bias, but may spark an interest in geopolitical views of salary opinions and personal discolsure of information in other posters.

I find the different opinions on the matter interesting, and I wouldn't discourage a response if it's topical, of which I believe I have been about, unless you want to talk about lesser spotted pigeons, which i'm all for but yall have to start another thread pal!
Please refer to OP. He's made it known that he's aware of the social stigma attached to the discussion of wages, and yet he still posed the question hoping that some would be comfortable enough to answer. The fact that you're not comfortable with the question is irrelevant and the discussion you're having about it has no more pertinence to the thread you're forcing it upon than does our mutual interest in the lesser spotted pigeon.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:16 AM   #30
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I dont have a job.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:15 PM   #31
adouglas
Cat herder

In only pay my lesser spotted pigeons chicken feed.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:41 PM   #32
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

I work as a project coordinator for a construction company in Berks County PA.

No, I am not going to share my salary but I have something else to offer.

On Public Works projects (projects funded with some amount of grant money) there are set Hourly Wages (Prevailing Wages) for each task, for example:

Concrete Laborer - $20.00/hour + $10.00/hour Fringe Benefit

Concrete Foreman - $36.00/hour + $10.00/hour Fringe Benefit

All of the wages MUST be posted at the project site.
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:02 PM   #33
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I earn a number on THIS LINK

You can guess which point I'm on but I'm not saying any further.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #34
05Ninjette89
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

State - Florida
Age - 23
Job - KFC / cook
Income - 8.15/hr
I have a felony so it's hard to find a good job to make my career.
05Ninjette89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #35
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
one million dollars.

Old April 8th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #36
CynicalC

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #37
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

Doesn't matter how much money I make it never seems to be enough!

Country/State: Australia - Brisbane
job: Project Controls Specialist
income each hour: ~$100.

$247k package, of which I pay about $80/90k in income tax

Not bad for a university dropout
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
did you know that its not illegal to punch a magazine?

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #39
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

LOL That's gold
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #40
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMike View Post
Doesn't matter how much money I make it never seems to be enough!

Country/State: Australia - Brisbane
job: Project Controls Specialist
income each hour: ~$100.

$247k package, of which I pay about $80/90k in income tax

Not bad for a university dropout
According to the logic in this thread: You make more than I do, therefore you must be full of ****.