ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 5th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #1
mista350z
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 08 CBR600rr, 08 Ninja 250r - sold

Slip on exhaust runs hot?

Ok so I installed the 2bros slip on exhaust last week. I rode a couple times for about 45min/per ride. My bike ran extremely hotter than usual. The gas tank was super hot. The weather was like any normal day and this just started happening when i installed the exhaust. Another thing I noticed was that my idle went from 1500 to about 1800-2200 at times. I didnt do any other modifications to the bike yet. Is this normal? I am kind of scared of over heating my bike.
mista350z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #2
kkim

you are running lean. lean conditions produce more heat. how lean is too lean? dunno, but if I were you, I'd at least shim the needles if not do a rejet.

...but gee, doesn't that exhaust sound good?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #3
mista350z
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 08 CBR600rr, 08 Ninja 250r - sold

Exhaust sounds mean. Kinda loud at night. Afraid to wake the neighbors....So will anything happen to the engine if I dont shim or rejet? I plan to eventually, just to lazy to actually sit down and rip apart the bike.
mista350z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #4
kkim

most likely not, but it can burn valves if too lean. best way to tell is to do a plug color check, but if you're too lazy to rejet I suspect you won't be interested in a plug check either.

good luck

Old August 6th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

if you dont want to shim the needles yourself Im sure a local shop can hook it up for cheap
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #6
a10forwar
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

I shimmed my needles two days ago and it was alot more difficult than I thought it would be. SO BE CAREFULL. Here is a list of things you need to pay attention too.

1. When removing the gas tank be carefull for the electrical connector, mine had barely enough slack to disconnect.

2. When removing the plastic caps on the carb, use alot of pressure on the screws. They are hard to get to and you may end up striping one out. And that would be bad.

3.Rt side is easier to do, by far. 4 black screws with nothing in your way sorta. I started with this one first for confidence of completion.

4. Lt side has 3 silver screws and 1 black screw. 1 silver screw for the choke cable bracket and 2 silver screws for a vacuum valve of some sort. The choke cable bracket is easy to move out of the way. Just move it forward. The vaccuum valve on the left has two hoses that go between the rt and lt carbs. I moved the vacuum valve with bracket lt and aft to get the best clearance. The hoses then split the carbs for easy removal of cap.

5. Be very carefull with each vacuum due to the fact that these are made to be a very thin membrane. Make sure when putting them back on you take your finger and ever so slightly rub the circumfrence of the vacuum to position the seal into the groove.

6. Take your time, mark everything and have fun. This is not intended to be a full HOW-TO. Just key details I thought might be important.
a10forwar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #7
kkim

Yep, James... all valid points.

So, how does the bike feel after shimming? have you pull off the snorkel yet?

Old August 15th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #8
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10forwar View Post

5. Be very carefull with each vacuum due to the fact that these are made to be a very thin membrane. Make sure when putting them back on you take your finger and ever so slightly rub the circumfrence of the vacuum to position the seal into the groove.
if you use a pair of tweezers and grab out the needles, then you don't have to remove the diaphragms. still would be a good idea to double check their position before putting the caps back on though.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #9
a10forwar
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Never thought about tweezers good idea. But I looked down there to see the needle before I pulled it though.

Funny thing it backfired as soon as I started it. It does start better though will probably never usr choke, never did before though either. Havent been in cold season yet. Oh well. Rides good. Little better control and gears seem longer. Mostly 3rd ?? I hope I didnt put too much shim on it. Two washers .032 total. No mods on eng yet. No exhaust mod either.
a10forwar is offline   Reply With Quote