ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 8th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Where to mount generic frame sliders?

My sister, who is also my roommate, wants me to teach her to ride because her car is failing and it will soon be our only transportation. I've suggested the MSF course but, just like she can't afford another car yet, she can't afford it and needs to learn sooner rather than later (though she still intends to take it when she can afford it).

I'm willing to take all my fairings off and teach her what I can if I can adequately protect everything. I've seen generic frame sliders for sale that I believe you are expected to install on the strongest point you can find and cut a fairing hole for it to protrude from. I only want to use them temporarily, so I will remove the fairings and install it if you guys can show me where to mount one. If it's long enough, it should do the trick... also how long is "long enough?"
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #2
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Before i risked my bike i'd pony up the $$$ for her to take the class.
As for the sliders ...Shogun

Buy them here ---> http://store.racebikerentals.com/mer...Category_Code=

Last futzed with by CRXTrek; August 8th, 2009 at 06:19 AM. Reason: add link
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRXTrek View Post
Before i risked my bike i'd pony up the $$$ for her to take the class.
As for the sliders ...Shogun
Big +1. On both points.

Old August 8th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I don't think you guys understand. I'm not looking for bike-specific no-cut frame sliders that are expensive and fragile due to the need to be relocated through the fairings... I want to take the fairings OFF and use cheap frame sliders that are stronger because they are directly mounted. I've got 8k miles without a drop so I'm not buying expensive frame sliders for a couple of days of training her.

FWIW, I forgot to mention that she will be BUYING a bike, so this is only to train her on mine in anticipation of that. These aren't to protect my bike from her beyond a few days because she will not be a regular user. It would also be nice for her to know in case she needed to take my bike for whatever reason in the future (when she takes the MSF and gets licensed), but it would need to be important.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #5
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

The cost in time and even cheap frame sliders would be about the same as an MSF course and let her train on bikes she doesn't have to worry about dropping at all.

I don't think slapping some cheap sliders on to the engine mounts would protect your bike from damage if she drops it anyway. The tail plastics, signals and bar ends will get trashed then you are definately looking at more money than an MSF course.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #6
tc3jg
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

the colleges in you location dont offer free motorcycle courses?

Id pack pillows around the entire bike and tape them up with the fairings off...and that is no joking and no LOL-ing

Last futzed with by tc3jg; August 8th, 2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: add some stuff
tc3jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #7
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3jg View Post
the colleges in you location dont offer free motorcycle courses?

Id pack pillows around the entire bike and tape them up with the fairings off...and that is no joking and no LOL-ing
+1 Hilarious

Dude you're not going to find anywhere to mount some "generic" frame sliders, unless you find some that have post long enough to stick out to the fairings so your pucks can extend further than everything else on the bike. any how strong will the post be? ie intuitives...

Old August 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #8
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

i am not sure you are doing your sister any favors by trying to teach her yourself.

imo, she shouldn't ride until she can save up the $150-$200 to take the class. that way, she can also get her license and a reduction in the insurance.

does she have enough money to buy gear? or would she be using yours?

even if you did find a place to mount the generic frame sliders, what if she falls to the right? at the least, your exhaust would probably still get damaged. i guess unless you take that off too... in which case it would be the swingarm and rear turn signals that take the hit. frame sliders won't guarantee your bike won't be damaged if she drops it. like sofo said, if she takes the course, she can crash all she wants. they don't care if their bikes get damaged.

we are just concerned for your bike and your sister's safety. good luck with whatever you decide.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #9
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post

we are just concerned for your bike and your sister's safety. good luck with whatever you decide.
I'm only concerned about the bike...

Old August 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeL View Post
I'm only concerned about the bike...
i stand corrected.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote