ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old May 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM   #1
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

June 2nd, Port Angeles Wa to Vegas

Yep, can't back out now, i already booked rooms. Its going to be nuts, may die of dehydration in the desert somewhere or get abducted by aliens near area 51. Should be at least 2500 miles round trip. We're taking the ol trusty 2006 pregen, its far more comfortable for riding 2 up than my 2012, still a rediculous choice for this long of a trip, but hey, you only live once. It should turn out to be one of those trips I'll be telling the grandkids about in 50 years.

So far, ive got it planned out as follows:
Pack light: shampoo, tooth paste, tooth brushes, change of clothes (we always clothes shop in Vegas), thick leather pants, cause id rather have them and not need, than need and not have, water, possibly a small fuel container for emergencies, and tools for small repairs along the way. Im sure ill think of more, but its all got to fit in a medium tank bag, and backpack.

Going to leave Saturday afternoon, maybe 4ish, do 4.5 hours to Portland and crash in a hotel, get up and hit the road at like 7am and cruise to Reno, think mapquest says 9 hours, would like to get a jump on the day, cause ive never been to Reno. Spend the night in Reno, and get up, make the 8 hour drive to Vegas.

Still planning out the rest, but i really want to hit the Grand canyon this trip, and maybe area 51, all that nonsense. Last time we did Vegas, we flew down and were walking and taking the bus everywhere. Gonna cruise around at our own pace this time.
jdubbya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #2
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

I only have one word of advice.....HAVE FUN!!!!

(Sounds like a blast and you have the right attitude...you only live once!)

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #4
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbya View Post
Yep, can't back out now, i already booked rooms. Its going to be nuts, may die of dehydration in the desert somewhere or get abducted by aliens near area 51. Should be at least 2500 miles round trip. We're taking the ol trusty 2006 pregen, its far more comfortable for riding 2 up than my 2012, still a rediculous choice for this long of a trip, but hey, you only live once. It should turn out to be one of those trips I'll be telling the grandkids about in 50 years.

So far, ive got it planned out as follows:
Pack light: shampoo, tooth paste, tooth brushes, change of clothes (we always clothes shop in Vegas), thick leather pants, cause id rather have them and not need, than need and not have, water, possibly a small fuel container for emergencies, and tools for small repairs along the way. Im sure ill think of more, but its all got to fit in a medium tank bag, and backpack.

Going to leave Saturday afternoon, maybe 4ish, do 4.5 hours to Portland and crash in a hotel, get up and hit the road at like 7am and cruise to Reno, think mapquest says 9 hours, would like to get a jump on the day, cause ive never been to Reno. Spend the night in Reno, and get up, make the 8 hour drive to Vegas.

Still planning out the rest, but i really want to hit the Grand canyon this trip, and maybe area 51, all that nonsense. Last time we did Vegas, we flew down and were walking and taking the bus everywhere. Gonna cruise around at our own pace this time.
Epic trip! Let me know if you want to grab a brew at one of Portland's great brew pubs! I'll buy the first round.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #5
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

Not really drinking these days, but thanks for the offer. Getting things packed and ready for the trip, not alot of room on the 2fiddy, but trying to make the best of it. Trying to leave room for souveniers and such.

Another week of work afer this week, then its kickstand up!

Found an MSR 30oz fuel bottle for piece of mind due to the limited range of the gas tank. Dont want to hitchhike the extraterrestrial highway.

Using a garmin zumo 550 for nav, linked to an el cheapo Blinc bluetooth helmet for turn by turn plus mp3's off the garmin. Got the power harness off ebay, wired up to the switched power side of the horn.

Getting excited, hope i can get out of the northwest witout getting wet!

Old May 25th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #6
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

Got a question: do I need to add insurance on a bike if im going to drive it into a state that requires it? State of Washington doesn't require insurance, but im pretty sure Oregon, California and Nevada do.

Edit: going to add insurance on the bike before we go

Last futzed with by jdubbya; May 26th, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Old June 8th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #7
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

We made it to vegas the other day, leaving tomorrow morning back for washington. Crazy ass ride, couple 12-14 hour days. Things take so much longer when fuel stops are a constant thought on your mind. Think worst stretch was between Reno and Vegas on the extra terrestrial highway. Bad ass sand storms and winds of like 60 miles per hour. Got absolutely sandblasted. Had one stretch that was about 166 miles between fuel stations. Had me pretty nervous and thankful for the msr bottle, although i never had to break into it.

We had the bike leaned over at like a 30 degree Lean angle going straight down the road. I was cracking jokes about it being the first time ive dragged some right knee going around a left hand corner. Crazy ass winds..... And nothing to signal their gusts, no trees to watch or vegetation blowing around, just all of a sudden your fighting to stay going in a straight line, then it lets up without warning.

Got stopped about 90 miles north of vegas in the middle of nowhere. Got no back running light. Made me pretty nervous doing the rest of the stretch knowing im basically invisible from behind. Was getting dark at that time.

Heres some pics off the ipad, i forgot the ipad sd connector for the camera, so ill get the good high res pics up when i get home.

Old June 8th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #8
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

Think we've done about 1300 miles so far on about 110 dollars in gas.

Yesterday we hit BB Kings house of blues and Toby Keiths bar and grill for some GROSSLY overpriced drinks. I think at the house of blues we paid 17 dollars for 2 beers for the price of 1. I guess that makes the normal price about 17 bucks a beer... Plus tip.....

Today we did happy hour at Vince Neils cantina. Got some good deals there, nachos, 2 coronas, and a margarita for 16 bucks. Nice but the tables are so small, if you move, you are sure to knock something over. I think the waitress was sampling her own sauce too. Lol

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubbya View Post
Today we did happy hour at Vince Neils cantina. Got some good deals there, nachos, 2 coronas, and a margarita for 16 bucks. Nice but the tables are so small, if you move, you are sure to knock something over. I think the waitress was sampling her own sauce too. Lol
Meh. I'll start caring once you go to Hooters

Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #10
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

We did hooters the other day. Picked at some wings and a 3 dollar bud light. Was too hung over to enjoy it much tho.

Heading back towards reno tomorrow morning. Taking interstate this time though. Im hoping it might be quicker and easier than highway 375. Not 100% enthusiastic about starting the trek back, but part of me is anxious to get back on the bike. Was nice to just relax and party it up in vegas for a few days.

In other news, my sprocket and chain are getting retired after this trip. Its requiring adjustment alot and getting toward the last tick mark on the rear bolt. The sprocket looks pretty hooked on the rear teeth.

Cross your fingers for me that it makes the 1200 miles home.

Old June 11th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #11
Fijilight08
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabe

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Have fun, keep us updated!
Fijilight08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #12
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

These are old posts i made on my forum, im home now, but heres how the rest of the trip went:

*Re: June 2nd, Port Angeles to Vegas.... 2 up on a ninja 25
Status update: chain is on its last legs, had to literally limp the bike 350 miles over willamet pass i think it was.... Through kalamath falls. ****ing kicking myself for not replacibg it before we left. Used the last bit of adjustment on the rear axle bolt coming back through Reno.

Right now, stuck at a motel 6 in eugene oregon. Thinking about what bike shops are open monday morning, and if they would even have a new chain/sprokets.... Had a good idea, i could grind a link or two and set the adjustment back towards the forward positiion. I saw a master link with clip, just need to find a grinder. Just need to make it 330 miles of steady 55-60 mph riding.

Just adding a little suspense to the story, since im not sure how the F i going to get the bike home at this point. Ill make some calls in the morning, but i think finding a grinder is my best bet right now.

Gotta be at work tuesday morning.

Was interesting going through the mountains withoit being able to accelerate at all without chain teeth skipping, or engine brake, or do anything that wasnt holding a steady speed at 55. If i was moving, i could stay moving, but anything else.....

Old June 12th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #13
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

Found a caterpillar sales and repair place this morning that happened to have the bay doors open at 8 am. Figured it was worth a try for finding a grinder to remove a link.

Ended up getting a fellow motorcycle rider who works there, who was just sweeping the shop. We got a link taken out, and now hage almost 4 marks of adjustment to make it home.

Still going to be limping the bike, but now we have a fighting chance.

Hoping to be home tonight. Cross your fingers for me.

Old June 12th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Youch! Sounds like an adventure. I wish that you were able to find some replacement parts rather than just pulling a link out of a chain that's clearly done for, but I understand the "get-home-itis" bug as much as anyone. Good luck!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #15
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

nm,
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #16
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

It was a ****** situation, and i did what i had to do to make it to work today. Otherwise i was stuck waiting maybe 2 days, or 2 weeks for parts while i run up a hotel bill.

Chain and sprockets will get ordered before i drive the bike again. 80 bucks for the set.

Plus my rear tire is now bald. Lol
The desert was hell on this bike, but we had a blast.

So glad we took the 2006, not the 2012

Old June 12th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #17
jdubbya
ninjette.org member

Heres some high res stuff from the trip: