ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 1st, 2019, 04:52 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Should car drivers complete a CBT?

Click here for full story...

Old May 1st, 2019, 06:22 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Interesting proposal, There have been studies in GB that show people with a motorcycle license are better car drivers. Maybe having a graduated license where all drivers have to start out on a motorcycle before they can get their car license would result in better drivers. Maybe Soccer Mom's would be better drivers if they knew little Johnny was riding 2 wheels in traffic.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 1st, 2019, 09:04 AM   #3
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I assume CBT stands for Computer Based Test? I'm all for it. There should definitely be some minimum requirement for recurrent training to renew a driver's license.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2019, 09:48 AM   #4
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I don't know what a CBT is but I do think people would pay more attention and do better if they themselves spent time riding a bike before they drive a car.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2019, 07:54 AM   #5
madcow87_
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
I assume CBT stands for Computer Based Test? I'm all for it. There should definitely be some minimum requirement for recurrent training to renew a driver's license.
CBT - Compulsory Basic Training.

Here in the UK our licences for bikes are quite convuluted. But in the beginning EVERYONE has to do their CBT. This is usually a one day thing. The first part is theory work, explaining we have an understanding of road signs and how we "should" ride on the road, as well as some car park drills, such as U turns/turning at junctions/figure of 8s/energency stops. All this is then followed by a second part which is when the riders are taken out on the road with an instructor who is in constant radio comms with the learners. Note: instructors can and have stopped learners going on the road in their CBT if they deem them unsafe after the car park section. This is all done on either a twist and go scooter or a proper geared bike (I did mine on a wonderful little YBR 125). You don't pass or fail it, you merely complete it. If an instructor deems you unsafe to complete the road portion though I suppose you could see this as a "fail".

Following completion of the CBT. The learner is then permitted to ride a 125 or scooter with L plates displayed for 2 years (obviously with all the necessary insurance and what not). After 2 years they can either re-do the CBT to continue riding a 125 with L plates, or they can attempt to pass their test (depending on age will depend on which test) which consists of a theory test and a 2 part practical test.

As far as the article, it isn't too surprising to hear motorbike riders make for better drivers, the awareness created from riding a bike has great carry over onto 4 wheels. I drove cars for nearly 10 years before going through my bike tests and even after just completing the CBT I felt like a much better driver. I don't know about forcing people into doing a CBT in order to get a car licence, but if they treated it like a taster session/CBT where there's no requirement for you to successfully "pass" it it might be worth while to improve awareness of drivers.
madcow87_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2019, 10:34 AM   #6
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I was thinking about it in the "taster" type thing. Give it a try! At least expose them to the fact that bikes share the roads with them, pay attention.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:30 PM   #7
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I was thinking about it in the "taster" type thing. Give it a try! At least expose them to the fact that bikes share the roads with them, pay attention.
I think that's what the article writer was thinking, make all drivers take the CBT course, parking lot and street to see what it is like for motorcyclists.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote