Notices

Old July 3rd, 2019, 06:48 PM   #1
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Hitch Mounted Carrier

Hey all!

I recently picked up a new Tacoma and am looking into doing a lot of long term/long distance camping. I intend on using the bed for cargo, as well as a rack mounted tent. So my options are trailer or this. The reason I want to do this setup is because I fly to and from work around the country, and will need to use airport parking at the nearest airport. I reckon it'll be easier to convince them to let me try to fit this combo into their lots than a whole truck and trailer. I hope to eventually switch to a KLR for my off-road camping adventures, which has a curb weight of about 430.

Does anyone have any experience with these carriers? Any advice or brand recommendations? The following is an example of what I've been looking at.

Old July 3rd, 2019, 07:09 PM   #2
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

I was interested in those too. I ended up getting a trailer, but two people that I personally talked to at the track were very happy with it. I remember one had a Black Widow brand and he said it worked perfectly.

I didn't get it because my car is Class 1, so to respect the 15% tongue weight I had to load only up to 15% of 1500lbs, so 225 lbs. But if you have pick up truck, that wouldn't be a problem I guess. Do your numbers.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2019, 10:35 PM   #3
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I was interested in those too. I ended up getting a trailer, but two people that I personally talked to at the track were very happy with it. I remember one had a Black Widow brand and he said it worked perfectly.

I didn't get it because my car is Class 1, so to respect the 15% tongue weight I had to load only up to 15% of 1500lbs, so 225 lbs. But if you have pick up truck, that wouldn't be a problem I guess. Do your numbers.
I've never heard of the 15% rule. But my tongue weight limit, per Toyota, is 640. Which the rack and bike together come under.

Old July 4th, 2019, 08:36 AM   #4
mjn76
ninjette.org member

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250, 02 rc51, 04 f4i, 01 748s, 01 f4-spr,09 nightster, 93 sportster etc,etc,etc.....

I picked up one of those recently, it is the brand "black widow" I believe and is their 600lb model. I have used it about 7 times, once with a ninjette, once with a older Ducati and a few times with a 125 mx bike. this was behind a trailblazer. you can def feel the weight. but I wouldn't say that I felt unsafe. I definitely felt better with a trailer on back but I think that that would even out with time and trust. mostly the not being able to see the cargo as well is unnerving. the one I got is right around $200 new online but I got it used for $80 on Craigs or offerup there were more than a few on there when I found it so I just went with the closest/best deal. hope this helps.

P.S. the guy I got it from added some brake lights to it and included an anti rattle device, I would highly recommend both. I also think that I am going to put some plow poles/flags on it so that I can better see the limits of where it is when parking/ backing.

Last futzed with by mjn76; July 4th, 2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: added info
mjn76 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2019, 09:22 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ wat he said
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjn76 View Post
I picked up one of those recently, it is the brand "black widow" I believe and is their 600lb model. I have used it about 7 times, once with a ninjette, once with a older Ducati and a few times with a 125 mx bike. this was behind a trailblazer. you can def feel the weight. but I wouldn't say that I felt unsafe. I definitely felt better with a trailer on back but I think that that would even out with time and trust. mostly the not being able to see the cargo as well is unnerving. the one I got is right around $200 new online but I got it used for $80 on Craigs or offerup there were more than a few on there when I found it so I just went with the closest/best deal. hope this helps.

P.S. the guy I got it from added some brake lights to it and included an anti rattle device, I would highly recommend both. I also think that I am going to put some plow poles/flags on it so that I can better see the limits of where it is when parking/ backing.
That's some great info. Thanks a lot!

Old July 4th, 2019, 03:21 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Bob View Post
I've never heard of the 15% rule. But my tongue weight limit, per Toyota, is 640. Which the rack and bike together come under.
It comes from large data-base from millions of users collected over time. Compiled and analysed by people who tow for a living and those who makes towing equipment for a living. Insurance companies and police dept. etc.

https://www.curtmfg.com/towing-capacity
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-trailertowtips.aspx
https://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/trucks/...or-safe-towing

But it also varies by type of towing load. If you've got big trailer with multiple axles and its own brakes, then it can carry most of its own load and you'll end up with less than the 10-15% amount often quoted for tongue-weight.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2019, 03:41 PM   #8
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

I have the one from Northern for my Taco. I’s carried; a Ninjette, Daytona 675, Street Triple, FZR400, 701SM all without incident over several thousand miles.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2019, 05:46 PM   #9
mjn76
ninjette.org member

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250, 02 rc51, 04 f4i, 01 748s, 01 f4-spr,09 nightster, 93 sportster etc,etc,etc.....

p.s
one thing to add
the one I have, 600#, is not just heavy but also very awkward when not mounted. it can be carried by one person if need be but not very far and not well. just an fyi if you need to take it off or on alone.
mjn
mjn76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2019, 06:36 PM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So... thoughts here:

I recently did some DIY on my house and hauled a trencher in the back of my mid-size truck. It was about 400 lbs and I had it at the back of my bed (similar in effect on the truck to how a motorcycle on a carrier like this would behave), directly up against the tail gate. And... a well loaded light trailer rides better, IME.

The other thing to remember is that payload vs towing capacities are different things. A 400 lb motorcycle with a 100(?) lb carrier is 500 lbs payload. Compare that with 10-15% of a 1000 lb trailer and 400 lb motorcycle is 1400 lbs towing, but only 140-210 lbs payload. The payload capacity for a 2019 Tacoma is 1120-1620 lbs according to google, so if you're also planning on a bed full of gear and/or more passengers than just yourself, that can be a significant difference for your decision of trailer vs hitch mounted carrier.
(I know for the Colorado, 150 lb is already assumed for the driver in the sped'd payload capacity, I'm not sure with the Tacoma but this is worth looking into)

Personally... I'd go the trailer route unless trailer storage is a significant issue for you when you're not using it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2019, 06:55 PM   #11
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

The Taco does just fine with a bike hanging off the back.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2019, 07:31 PM   #12
Ninja Bob
Certified Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
So... thoughts here:

I recently did some DIY on my house and hauled a trencher in the back of my mid-size truck. It was about 400 lbs and I had it at the back of my bed (similar in effect on the truck to how a motorcycle on a carrier like this would behave), directly up against the tail gate. And... a well loaded light trailer rides better, IME.

The other thing to remember is that payload vs towing capacities are different things. A 400 lb motorcycle with a 100(?) lb carrier is 500 lbs payload. Compare that with 10-15% of a 1000 lb trailer and 400 lb motorcycle is 1400 lbs towing, but only 140-210 lbs payload. The payload capacity for a 2019 Tacoma is 1120-1620 lbs according to google, so if you're also planning on a bed full of gear and/or more passengers than just yourself, that can be a significant difference for your decision of trailer vs hitch mounted carrier.
(I know for the Colorado, 150 lb is already assumed for the driver in the sped'd payload capacity, I'm not sure with the Tacoma but this is worth looking into)

Personally... I'd go the trailer route unless trailer storage is a significant issue for you when you're not using it.
You're talking about tongue weight. The taco can handle up to 640 lbs of tongue weight. The payload, I believe, is the overall weight the truck can haul on just those two axles. For my my Tacoma Sport, that's 1175 lbs. So with 500 lbs, I still have almost 700 lbs of wiggle room for things I can put in and mount to the bed.

Old July 4th, 2019, 09:33 PM   #13
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

I had one for my race bike. Worked pretty good, even on a FWD minivan - Just had to load the van heavy in the front to prevent wheelies. The rack itself is solid steel and weighs probably 100lbs itself. I did some drilling on the trough bit and kept the ramp part in the van to help out a bit. Honestly, for the Ninja, I'd get one of the aluminum ones made for dirt bikes. It'll work just fine and handle a lot better along with being easier to install/remove.

Old July 5th, 2019, 05:35 AM   #14
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Have you checked the folding trailer and 'trailer in a bag' options? They don't take much storage space, especially the 'trailer in a bag', which you can literally take it apart and put it away in a duffle bag.

Stinger make both. They are much more expensive though, and only allow you to carry one motorcycle, nothing else.

https://www.stingertrailer.com/produ...iler-in-a-bag/
https://www.stingertrailer.com/produ...lding-trailer/
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2019, 04:03 AM   #15
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Tongue weight is one thing. All of these hitches put the bike and therefore center of mass well passed the ball of the hitch. The farther you push the load back past the ball the greater the tongue weight becomes when you are driving.

Get on a seesaw. Put the fat kid close to the fulcrum and you can balance him by sitting on the end of the plank. Once you hit a dip in the road things oscillate for a while.

I use a single receiver tube type hitch. It carries the load, but they swing and twist going down the road. My 36’ motor home does not know it is back there. My Cadillac SRX lets me know something is not right.

If you are carrying anything over 300 pounds for long distances I would get one the uses two hitch mounts. Those single hitch mounts are good for scooters. I don’t care what the advertisement says.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2019, 04:36 AM   #16
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

This is the one I use. It uses a hydraulic jack to raise and lower the motorcycle. I don’t like trying to load a bike up a ramp. Never seems to work out well for one person.

Ultimate MX Hauler - Motorcycle Carrier Ramp
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote