ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:44 AM   #1
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Is an electric Kawasaki Ninja coming out very soon? Leaked patent images surface

http://www.motoroids.com/news/is-an-...mages-surface/

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I will be very surprised if there isn't an electric option for all of the major japanese brands by 2020

it seems to be the way of the future, and it very well will be as the technology advances and electric becomes more commonplace

Old September 28th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #3
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
@Alex
NinjaE2.org?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:32 AM   #4
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Looks like a battery powered 300. Same swingarm, same wheels, brakes, forks.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 11:36 AM   #5
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): 2004 250

Mehhhh....do not want.

I can't get into this electric craze at all. I mentioned on some other forum that electric cars will ruin the performance car hobby and got beat up about it.

I think it's true...your every day guy can't work on these things in his garage. Maybe a century from now, yes but not now and for that I'm not excited at all.

I was talking to my pops the other day about buying new cars and I told him the chances of me getting a new car are real slim because of the limited manual options. As they continue to dwindle, I will have less and less options and will be stuck to only buying used older cars (which is fine with me).

My wife drives a 2012 BMW and it was in service for about 2 months this sumer. During that time, I drove several loaners including the new 428i. I loved the car and the paddle shift transmission was the best one I've ever driven. When you downshifted....it actually downshifted! If you know what I'm talking about, on most of these transmissions, when you downshift there's terrible lag and nothing happens. BMW fixed that, it works just like a regular manual but if the car only has 2 pedals, I don't want it.

I think we're giving up a lot of "feel" and "enjoyment" for comfort and I'm not about that life.
maverick31210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #6
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick31210 View Post
Mehhhh....do not want.

I can't get into this electric craze at all. I mentioned on some other forum that electric cars will ruin the performance car hobby and got beat up about it.

I think it's true...your every day guy can't work on these things in his garage. Maybe a century from now, yes but not now and for that I'm not excited at all.

I was talking to my pops the other day about buying new cars and I told him the chances of me getting a new car are real slim because of the limited manual options. As they continue to dwindle, I will have less and less options and will be stuck to only buying used older cars (which is fine with me).

My wife drives a 2012 BMW and it was in service for about 2 months this sumer. During that time, I drove several loaners including the new 428i. I loved the car and the paddle shift transmission was the best one I've ever driven. When you downshifted....it actually downshifted! If you know what I'm talking about, on most of these transmissions, when you downshift there's terrible lag and nothing happens. BMW fixed that, it works just like a regular manual but if the car only has 2 pedals, I don't want it.

I think we're giving up a lot of "feel" and "enjoyment" for comfort and I'm not about that life.
Same for those pussy a$$ F1 cars and their flappy paddles, gimme that big ol stick between my fingers.

Plenty of new performance cars in manual still. I'd probably buy a ninja electric if it was beast enough.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 12:09 PM   #7
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
Same for those pussy a$$ F1 cars and their flappy paddles, gimme that big ol stick between my fingers.

Plenty of new performance cars in manual still. I'd probably buy a ninja electric if it was beast enough.
LOL...I still love watching the Senna days. Dude's were ripping around the track in those gnarly turbo cars, one hand on the wheel and the other rowing their own gears. It was something else compared to today's racing.

I don't know if I would. I like being able to do my own work on all my cars, bikes, etc...I wouldn't know where to start with an electric bike and not to mention the special tools that might be required.

Old September 28th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #8
VaFish

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I'd consider one for commuting if the price was reasonable. Still wouldn't get rid of my gas powered bike because I can't believe an electric would have the range or quick charge ability.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #9
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I'd consider one for commuting if the price was reasonable. Still wouldn't get rid of my gas powered bike because I can't believe an electric would have the range or quick charge ability.
...and that, I think is the biggest deterrent to anything electric these days. The range.

With someone gas powered, I know that 99% of time regardless of where I'm at, a gas station is within striking distance and because of that, range is never an issue.

Old September 28th, 2015, 12:57 PM   #10
garth285
KAWASAKI GURU

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Turbo Ninja 250

This electric bike went 173mph in the mile last weekend :-p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Electirc.jpg (74.0 KB, 16 views)
garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #11
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
What is that blue **** coming off of it?

Old September 28th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #12
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Awesomeness!

Old September 28th, 2015, 01:05 PM   #13
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
But could it do 2 miles without a recharge?

Old September 28th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Imagine yourself in the early 20th century just before the automobile made horse culture go away.

You're a horse lover, unwilling to acknowledge the coming of the next wave. "I don't want one, I wouldn't know where to begin working on it" is exactly the kind of thing a horse and buggy driver would say.

Ten years later the horse is gone and the same guy has a Model T in his barn.

"I can let the horse graze anywhere, never need to worry about range" ditto. Ten years later it's easy to find filling stations.

I totally agree with all the points you make. I'm right there with you. But never say never...

It's coming. We all know it.

The thing that will make me jump is economics. Once it's actually cost-competitive to buy, run and maintain an electric or hybrid vehicle I'll give it serious thought. Until then, I'll stick with well-proven technology that costs less.

Any idiot who can do basic arithmetic is capable of figuring out that gasoline power is cheaper by a long way, even over the life of the vehicle and even at gas prices in the $5 a gallon range.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #15
maverick31210
Rides in shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Imagine yourself in the early 20th century just before the automobile made horse culture go away.

You're a horse lover, unwilling to acknowledge the coming of the next wave. "I don't want one, I wouldn't know where to begin working on it" is exactly the kind of thing a horse and buggy driver would say.

Ten years later the horse is gone and the same guy has a Model T in his barn.

"I can let the horse graze anywhere, never need to worry about range" ditto. Ten years later it's easy to find filling stations.

I totally agree with all the points you make. I'm right there with you. But never say never...

It's coming. We all know it.

The thing that will make me jump is economics. Once it's actually cost-competitive to buy, run and maintain an electric or hybrid vehicle I'll give it serious thought. Until then, I'll stick with well-proven technology that costs less.

Any idiot who can do basic arithmetic is capable of figuring out that gasoline power is cheaper by a long way, even over the life of the vehicle and even at gas prices in the $5 a gallon range.
You know what...

I was waiting for someone to make that argument and you're right, it will eventually happen but for now I'm going to fight it as much as I can LOL.

I just don't think the infrastructure is there for electric vehicles yet. If there was a charging station at every gas station, then sure but even then you have to wait hours (not sure how long those things take to charge). The technology has grown by leaps recently but I just don't feel like it's there.

I have a strong feeling that when I'm older and electric vehicles are all the rage, I'm going to be like that one old dude that everyone knows today who refuses to give up his carburetors because he thinks electronic FI is bullshit.

****...I'm already kind of that guy with FI LOL.

Old September 28th, 2015, 01:42 PM   #16
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

The tax incentives help for sure. I ended up getting my fusion energi for 31k with a 41k msrp. It will do ~21 miles on electric then it's essentially a normal hybrid after.

There are weeks my wife doesn't use any gas at all just running errands to town around and back then plug it back in for tomorrow.

Depends how you drive and where.

Old September 28th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #17
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
luddites are so cute

Old September 28th, 2015, 01:51 PM   #18
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Looks like a battery powered 300. Same swingarm, same wheels, brakes, forks.
It's gonna make 40hp and weigh 500lbs lol.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #19
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Electric has caught up on range. A quick google search shows Zero Motorcycle claims 185 miles and Tesla is boasting 265 miles. Range hasn't been much of an issue for awhile.

Recharge time is the biggest difference in my opinion. Depending on your intended use of the vehicle, it's either a non issue or a deal breaker.

For a commuter - recharge once a week or so (depending on commute length) overnight and be done with it.

For a weekend warrior who just likes cruising and exploring - recharge during an hour ish lunch in some dinky town if you convince someone to let you borrow their outlet.

For a long distance rider - plan your route using the online maps like http://www.plugshare.com/ and enjoy the ride.

For crazy riderrs like me - the recharge time is a deal breaker. Yes, I know it's been done, but that Zero was heavily modified.

Would I buy an electric? Absolutely!! My work has a charging station right in my parking lot. But would I get rid of my gas guzzling bike? Nope. I need the speed of a standard gas station for the rides I do.

*daydreams of a long distance beast bike and an electric local play bike*
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #20
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

We can adapt the existing infrastructure with the development of supercapacitors with LUDICROUS potential for power density and charging speed.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4A...JxNtKuz3rkq16A

I think we're entering an intermission period where the greatest of the ICEs (think plastic/composite engines) wage battle against the first economically sensible electric vehicles. The horses are being tested against the Model Ts (poor analogy but you get the idea).

But what the hell, we were supposed to get flying cars a decade ago.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 02:56 PM   #21
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post

But what the hell, we were supposed to get flying cars a decade ago.
Yeah, Where they heck is my flying car. I shouldn't have to sit in traffic an hour and a half each way every day.

Old September 28th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #22
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Electric has caught up on range. A quick google search shows Zero Motorcycle claims 185 miles and Tesla is boasting 265 miles. Range hasn't been much of an issue for awhile.
Those are very optimistic ranges with the perfect mix of driving. Take the electric vehicle out on the freeway at 70 mph and you are lucky to get half that range. Those are also the most expensive versions of the respective vehicles to get the longer range.

Quote:
Recharge time is the biggest difference in my opinion. Depending on your intended use of the vehicle, it's either a non issue or a deal breaker.

For a commuter - recharge once a week or so (depending on commute length) overnight and be done with it.

For a weekend warrior who just likes cruising and exploring - recharge during an hour ish lunch in some dinky town if you convince someone to let you borrow their outlet.

For a long distance rider - plan your route using the online maps like http://www.plugshare.com/ and enjoy the ride.

For crazy riderrs like me - the recharge time is a deal breaker. Yes, I know it's been done, but that Zero was heavily modified.

Would I buy an electric? Absolutely!! My work has a charging station right in my parking lot. But would I get rid of my gas guzzling bike? Nope. I need the speed of a standard gas station for the rides I do.

*daydreams of a long distance beast bike and an electric local play bike*
My commute is 30-35 miles depending upon route, A zero motorcycle on the highway is iffy for me to make a round trip. We do have several charging stations near my office, might be able to get the landlord to put one in our parking garage.

I rode a Zero several years ago and was extremely impressed with it, and the new ones are even better. But, their price is still twice that of a medium sized commuter gas powered motorcycle.

I'm not a luddite that says I will never have an electric vehicle. But, I'm also not an early adopter of technology. I prefer for things to be well worked out and prices to come down before I jump in.

It would be nice to leave the bike plugged in on the battery tender for a few months over winter and not have to worry about the carbs gumming up.

Old September 28th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #23
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
If Ford had done what people wanted, he would have started breeding faster horses...

Embrace it, but don't be an early adopter.

That said, I'm a huge stickler on the manual tranny also. So much more fun, screw speed.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #24
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
If Ford had done what people wanted, he would have started breeding faster horses...

Embrace it, but don't be an early adopter.
why not?

Anyone have a beta-max video player? I have 18 hours of the live aid concert from 1985.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:37 PM   #25
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Because it's smarter to let prices drop and let the early adopters flesh out the problems first!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 28th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #26
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Because it's smarter to let prices drop and let the early adopters flesh out the problems first!
You should be encouraging early adopters.

Old September 28th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #27
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
At this point, battery technology is limiting EVs. They're fairly heavy and relatively slow to refill. But 80% quick charges and improving technology are making things better as we speak.

(That's why I bought an EV with a built-in ICE generator.)

EVs do have different performance characteristics. The Volt has a ton of torque and no transmission full of gears to shift through. Accelerating seems faster than it is, due to the torque and lack of jerking at gear changes - it just goes when you push the long skinny pedal. The Volt's battery pack layout gives it a low center of gravity. For a 3800lb golf cart, it actually seems quite quick and nimble.

Changing to an electric drivetrain on a bike also gives you some room to move things around and possibly redesign things to work a little better. I suspect most early models will be like the one rumored here, dropped into an existing bike with as few changes as possible. It keeps costs down, and is easier for the public to accept. But once people are used to the idea and things are more affordable, it opens up the path for some radical changes that we don't even think about today (like having the motor on the swingarm, completely eliminating most chain issues). Just like all the maintenance that you simply don't need to do any more, limitations of the ICE setup will simply cease to exist.

Things are far from perfect, but I'm excited about the future possibilities.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2015, 02:19 AM   #28
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

An interesting article to read http://theconversation.com/teslas-in...-diesels-40834

At least its all about debitism, nothing else matters.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2015, 04:02 AM   #29
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
You know what...

I was waiting for someone to make that argument and you're right, it will eventually happen but for now I'm going to fight it as much as I can LOL.

I just don't think the infrastructure is there for electric vehicles yet. If there was a charging station at every gas station, then sure but even then you have to wait hours (not sure how long those things take to charge). The technology has grown by leaps recently but I just don't feel like it's there.

I have a strong feeling that when I'm older and electric vehicles are all the rage, I'm going to be like that one old dude that everyone knows today who refuses to give up his carburetors because he thinks electronic FI is bullshit.

****...I'm already kind of that guy with FI LOL.
Honestly, you're neither wrong or right, every thing has its place and use and while it might not make so much sense to you, it might make a whole lot of sense to someone else. My commute to work is only 25miles each way and the car could be charged there too, so as a daily commuter it would definitely work for me, but for someone who wants to go touring over long distances, it might be too much of a compromise to bother with. I think electric cars and bikes would make excellent second vehicles, provided the cost comes down a bit.

There is a company in india which charges you for the car without the battery and then gives the battery to you on rent, that way your initial investment is much lower and so is the hassle of replacing the battery if it goes kaput.

Old September 29th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #30
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
I don't know if I would. I like being able to do my own work on all my cars, bikes, etc...I wouldn't know where to start with an electric bike and not to mention the special tools that might be required.
um, learn? An e-bike will be ever simpler to work on than a carb... and any "tuning" is done with a computer? You're not smart enough?

Quote:
Tachyons...

To the OP: Actually been thinking about building my own E-Ninja! To power my own ride from solar panels on the roof and move away from the oil industry is to evolve, as much as I love the sound, taste and smell of gas...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #31
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
The tax incentives help for sure. I ended up getting my fusion energi for 31k with a 41k msrp. It will do ~21 miles on electric then it's essentially a normal hybrid after.

There are weeks my wife doesn't use any gas at all just running errands to town around and back then plug it back in for tomorrow.

Depends how you drive and where.
And my Honda Fit, purchased brand-new in 2008, cost me $16,000.

It gets 32-35 mpg.

Do the math to see how long I'd have to drive, at 20k of usage per year and $5 per gallon gas, to reach cost parity with your hybrid, even with tax incentives. Makes the proven, well-supported, old dinosaur ICE tech look a bit more attractive, doesn't it?

IMHO it still doesn't make sense to adopt the new tech and it won't until the total cost of ownership is within spitting distance.

Once the charging infrastructure is in place, it makes sense.

Once energy storage gets better, it makes sense.

All of this will happen eventually.

But until then, it remains a novelty and a conscience salve for the green-minded. (PS: Don't forget the TOTAL environmental impact of the tech, including manufacturing, use and disposal.)

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2015, 09:15 AM   #32
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:

It gets 32-35 mpg.

Do the math to see how long I'd have to drive, at 20k of usage per year and $5 per gallon gas, to reach cost parity with your hybrid, even with tax incentives. Makes the proven, well-supported, old dinosaur ICE tech look a bit more attractive, doesn't it?

IMHO it still doesn't make sense to adopt the new tech and it won't until the total cost of ownership is within spitting distance.

But until then, it remains a novelty and a conscience salve for the green-minded. (PS: Don't forget the TOTAL environmental impact of the tech, including manufacturing, use and disposal.)

Also, don't forget the WHOLE cost of continuing to uphold the oil industry.

I agree with the point that it' not a viable option until it's comfortable for people to adopt. That's reality. It's sad that "reality" is so far removed from the cause/effect the human virus is having on the earth, also, arguably, "reality".

Old September 29th, 2015, 09:28 AM   #33
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Quote:

It gets 32-35 mpg.

Lol why do people always do that. They're not comparable. My energi is fully loaded with leather, all the electronic packages etc etc. An equivalent fusion ecoboost titanium is about the same money.

If I wanted a base model econo car I would have got one. I got the energi because it met all the criteria I wanted in the car plus I was able to get the plug in/hybrid part. So it actually does save me money since I'd be spending near 40 grand on a car regardless.

It's kind of moot anyway since I daily a 3/4 ton truck that gets 13mpg

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old September 29th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #34
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
@ForceofWill So really you're just trying to make up for the truck with that hybrid

Old September 29th, 2015, 11:35 AM   #35
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Tesla founder said 2 days ago
-“My guess is that we could probably break 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) within a year or two"

http://www.ibtimes.com/elon-musk-tes...ilable-2118251

Old September 29th, 2015, 11:46 AM   #36
spooph

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
-“My guess is that we could probably break 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) within a year or two"

that sound wonderful! Then cars will no longer run into motorcycles and our lives will be better!

Old September 29th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #37
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
that sound wonderful! Then cars will no longer run into motorcycles and our lives will be better!
That will confuse anyone who does not follow my link.

Old September 29th, 2015, 02:57 PM   #38
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I like the concept, I am interested in how this one will perform.
I watched the E class at MotoGP last year and thought it was really cool.

Old September 29th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #39
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
You know what...

The infrastructure is already in place for most Americans: Their own home. Most people who commute end up at the same place every night, namely their own home. For those people EVs are often times a good choice.

There is a small but extremely vocal contingent of anti-EV folks, and most of the negative points they cite are either factually incorrect, or functionally irrelevant. I don't know what bug crawled up the craw of these folks, really don't care as long as they don't screw things up for the rest of us. But, they seem bent on doing exactly that by getting people to believe that EVs are short-ranged, high-maintenance, and limited usefulness vehicles when in fact that's plainly not the case.

The reason I don't have an EV now is the same reason why almost nobody owned cars before the early 1900s: They're out of my price range. Elon Musk is attempting to do with his cars and batteries what Henry Ford did with cars, and unlike so many before him he's actually capable of pulling it off. If he does, within 5 years I may have an EV. What I won't have are oil changes, valve adjustments, belt replacements, antifreeze and transmission flushes, filter changes, tuneups, emissions inspections, catalytic converter and muffler replacements, and all the other maintenance that EVs don't have that internal combustion cars do.

But, if the anti-EV screamers manage to convince enough folks who otherwise could be very happy with an EV to avoid the technology then it will be the same as if the anti-car crowd was successful in convincing all the horse and buggy owners to stay with horse technology.

IMHO, if someone wants to stay in the past then they just should.

BTW, this isn't directed to you, but to all the folks who inevitably jump in to bash EVs.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #40
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post

At what price? $250,000?