Notices

Old October 13th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #81
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
hey everyone, thanks so much for chiming in. I appreciate the feedback and suggestions! $40,000 is not enough to live a nice life in DC, but I could scrape by. I'm honestly not sure how anyone goes about getting a job for more than $40,000 right out of college. I'm willing to bet my shop would pay me that if I were to go back! (a distinct possibility)

I'm too tired from riding dirtbikes all weekend to read through everything right now but I definitely will get to it! in the meantime I welcome more suggestions and thoughts about the industry's job needs
Late night thought. Maybe this lady could help. Not motorcycles but close.
Attached Images
File Type: png danica.png (150.6 KB, 2 views)

Old October 19th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #82
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
@Finesse,

It's not just motorcycles, but Virginia Tech has the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute. They recently did the motorcycle study where they put cameras and instruments on motorcycles around the country and analyzed how we ride. They also do other traffic studies on cars and trucks.

They have some jobs listed.

https://www.vtti.vt.edu/about/employ...ortunities.php
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 19th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #83
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^very cool, thank you!
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #84
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Awesome! I'm applying for all those jobs now!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #85
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I have an interview on the 14th at Pro Motorsports in Gibsonia, PA.

Not really sure what positions they're hiring, their website said tag/title/finance but in my experience they're kind of always hiring for a variety of positions based on your experience/qualifications.

I think I'm gonna try to go for some kind of finance department or PR job if they have it.

Has anyone ever worked in the powersports financing department industry, or PR? Any tips?

Old November 9th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #86
Ram Jet

Quote:
I have an interview on the 14th at Pro Motorsports in Gibsonia, PA.

Not really sure what positions they're hiring, their website said tag/title/finance but in my experience they're kind of always hiring for a variety of positions based on your experience/qualifications.

I think I'm gonna try to go for some kind of finance department or PR job if they have it.

Has anyone ever worked in the powersports financing department industry, or PR? Any tips?
Research as much information as you can about the company. Who founded it, when, where. It flatters the S__T out of a prospective employer and makes you look really smart (which I know you are). Know how many people are on the payroll and their target market. Find out the president/C.E.O.s name. Do they have a board of directors and yada, yada yada. Check them out on the Better Business Bureau. Don't wear a pair of jeans and a motocross shirt. Dress to kill, look like executive material. DO NOT wear anything provocative. If you present them with a resume print it on 32lb. parchment paper with a matching cover (go to Staples).

Knock em' dead.

Bill

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:31 PM   #87
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Research as much information as you can about the company. Who founded it, when, where. It flatters the S__T out of a prospective employer and makes you look really smart (which I know you are). Know how many people are on the payroll and their target market. Find out the president/C.E.O.s name. Do they have a board of directors and yada, yada yada. Check them out on the Better Business Bureau. Don't wear a pair of jeans and a motocross shirt. Dress to kill, look like executive material. DO NOT wear anything provocative. If you present them with a resume print it on 32lb. parchment paper with a matching cover (go to Staples).

Knock em' dead.

Bill
Thanks. The company is only one year old. I'll do the research about it, all I know so far is they sell Beta, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and used bikes and 4-wheelers. I'm super interested in Beta and their innovative technology and I really want to buy a Beta (should I tell them that?) but I also have a long standing loyalty to Kawasaki and honestly I think it will show that I love all bikes and am super passionate about working in the industry, ESPECIALLY with these brands...

I was debating wearing jeans and a blazer or something as I honestly don't have business type clothes but I guess if I want a job in the finance department I should show up wearing something super official. I will bring my resume for sure.

The 10 mins I've done about finance departments at dealerships has me convinced that if I'm going to work at a dealership, this is the job to get...

Old November 9th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #88
Ram Jet

Quote:
Thanks. The company is only one year old. I'll do the research about it, all I know so far is they sell Beta, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and used bikes and 4-wheelers. I'm super interested in Beta and their innovative technology and I really want to buy a Beta (should I tell them that?) but I also have a long standing loyalty to Kawasaki and honestly I think it will show that I love all bikes and am super passionate about working in the industry, ESPECIALLY with these brands...

I was debating wearing jeans and a blazer or something as I honestly don't have business type clothes but I guess if I want a job in the finance department I should show up wearing something super official. I will bring my resume for sure.

The 10 mins I've done about finance departments at dealerships has me convinced that if I'm going to work at a dealership, this is the job to get...
Jeans, blazer and a white blouse would probably work. A full length skirt would be cool too. They won't get the idea that you are overly fru fru when you start rapping about your motorcycle hobbies. You don't have to look like Melania Trump going to a ball you just need to stand-out among the other 20 applicants.

Good luck!

Bill

P.S.; bring your cell phone with pictures of your bike(s).

Last futzed with by Ram Jet; November 9th, 2017 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Adding a P.S
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #89
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
They carrie Zero Motorcycles

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #90
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

No jeans. A skirt, slacks, even khakis, but not jeans. The general rule is to dress for the next position higher than the one you're interviewing for.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #91
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
What's better:

Ride my bike (Kawasaki KLX250sf) to the interview in jeans/motorcycle boots/fancy shirt/blazer OR drive my car and wear business clothes? lol

I'm going to work on the clothes thing in the next few days. My school has a business clothes library where you can borrow stuff for interviews. It's super hard finding things that fit me, most of the dress pants end up looking like sweatpants. Can I complain about being a size 0?

Never thought I'd think this hard about clothes. I wear jeans and hoodies all day every day everywhere. ugh

Old November 9th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #92
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I can't imagine they'd fault you if you showed up on a motorcycle, wearing full gear.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #93
Ram Jet

Quote:
What's better:

Ride my bike (Kawasaki KLX250sf) to the interview in jeans/motorcycle boots/fancy shirt/blazer OR drive my car and wear business clothes? lol

I'm going to work on the clothes thing in the next few days. My school has a business clothes library where you can borrow stuff for interviews. It's super hard finding things that fit me, most of the dress pants end up looking like sweatpants. Can I complain about being a size 0?

Never thought I'd think this hard about clothes. I wear jeans and hoodies all day every day everywhere. ugh

Whaaaaaaat? You don't have 30 pair of shoes in your closet? I wear jeans and pocket "T" shirts 99.9% of the time - on a job interview I'd wear my suit. Out of curiosity I checked-out their website. These guys present themselves like they have been in business for 30 years. The person who established this business is not a 23 year old punk and he or she is not new to motorcycle dealerships. Dress nice-nice.

Bill

Old November 9th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #94
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
I wear jeans and pocket "T" shirts 99.9% of the time
A smoker?

Old November 9th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #95
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
They used to be Crossroads Motorsports. Not sure what/who turned them into Pro Motorsports. Reading lots of terrible reviews... apparently they broke a V star crankshaft two years ago (Wtf?).

I will dress as nicely as I can.....

Old November 9th, 2017, 07:02 PM   #96
Ram Jet

Quote:
They used to be Crossroads Motorsports. Not sure what/who turned them into Pro Motorsports. Reading lots of terrible reviews... apparently they broke a V star crankshaft two years ago (Wtf?).

I will dress as nicely as I can.....

Every company could use a-little finesse.

Bill

Old November 9th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #97
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Good luck, but I also want to say don't be afraid to walk away if things don't look good there.

You might be going for an interview, but when I am looking for a job, I am interviewing the employer also. I would ask hard questions. What is the turnover rate at this business? Why is this position open? If a previous employee left this position, I would ask for a phone number to talk to them. Ask to talk to any former employee at all, and if they don't comply, it's probably because every former employee left there all pissed off.

To be honest, dealerships don't really have a good rep for employment. I hope the best for you but dealerships have high turnover rates for a reason.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old November 9th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #98
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Good luck, but I also want to say don't be afraid to walk away if things don't look good there.

You might be going for an interview, but when I am looking for a job, I am interviewing the employer also. I would ask hard questions. What is the turnover rate at this business? Why is this position open? If a previous employee left this position, I would ask for a phone number to talk to them. Ask to talk to any former employee at all, and if they don't comply, it's probably because every former employee left there all pissed off.

To be honest, dealerships don't really have a good rep for employment. I hope the best for you but dealerships have high turnover rates for a reason.
As a former hiring manager I wouldn't give you any of my previous employee's private information. Hello lawsuit!!! I would ask questions like what are your gross sales for 2017? What are your projections for 2018? Do you support a mail order or on-line order department? What attributes are you looking for in a candidate for this open position.

Bill

Old November 10th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #99
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Yeah I'm definitely not going to ask for personal information of former employees.

Thanks Bill, those are good questions.

I've worked in dealerships before and I'm not very eager to repeat the experience. I mostly just want to have a successful interview and get an offer and work on my negotiating skills! I can't start until the second week of January anyway and I am actively applying to other jobs, so mainly just exploring whatever opportunities come my way...

Old November 10th, 2017, 09:29 AM   #100
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
As a former hiring manager I wouldn't give you any of my previous employee's private information. Hello lawsuit!!!
It's no different than an employer asking a potential employee for references. I've done it. Just don't expect a phone number handed to you immediately. They have to get permission first. In the same way you have to ask someone to use them as a reference.

If a potential employer doesn't want you contacting any former employees, they probably have a good reason why - such as every single previous employee left because they're unhappy there.

Old November 12th, 2017, 11:31 PM   #101
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
What's better:

Irregardless of the position offered, or the attire allowed at that particular place (jeans, tee-shirts), I do think that you should dress according to the reason of the meeting. If it is for an interview, wear something appropriate such as shirts and slacks. But do it with style, for example get a motorcycle jacket that looks like a business jacket. It will definitely say that you are someone interesting and with soul.

Oh, btw, how was the interview?

Old November 13th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #102
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I haven't been able to find any appropriate pants/shoes. I'm going to try another thrift store today. I can't afford to spend $200 on clothes right now... interview is tomorrow.

Old November 13th, 2017, 08:42 AM   #103
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I haven't been able to find any appropriate pants/shoes. I'm going to try another thrift store today. I can't afford to spend $200 on clothes right now... interview is tomorrow.
Try a Nordstrom Rack if you have one. I needed emergency dress shoes once and found a pair there for something like $15. They sucked, but got the job done.

Old November 13th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #104
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
No jeans. A skirt, slacks, even khakis, but not jeans. The general rule is to dress for the next position higher than the one you're interviewing for.
Normally I would agree, but this is for a job at a motorsports company. I really think showing up on a motorcycle wearing motorcycle gear would make a good impression.

I think nice clean newish jeans with a dressy shirt/blouse and maybe a blazer would be appropriate for the position.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #105
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I take my wheels and other odds and ends from my bike to pro motorsports. I live 10min from them, Love that place. It used to be crossroads motorsports but they didn't run the place very well. Everyone at pro motorsports in very nice and always helpful. Hope you get the job!
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #106
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

I stand by no jeans. Do doctors or nurses wear scrubs to their interview? Pilots a uniform? Firemen? Doesn't matter what the job is, dress nicely if you want it. While I'm sure many people get hired for various jobs while wearing jeans, don't chance it. It's one thing you have absolute control over, don't throw it away.

I don't see a problem riding to it wearing full gear, but have nice clothes on under it and leave the gear on the bike. Run a comb/brush through your hair after the helmet comes off too.

Old November 13th, 2017, 03:32 PM   #107
Ram Jet

Quote:
I stand by no jeans. Do doctors or nurses wear scrubs to their interview? Pilots a uniform? Firemen? Doesn't matter what the job is, dress nicely if you want it. While I'm sure many people get hired for various jobs while wearing jeans, don't chance it. It's one thing you have absolute control over, don't throw it away.

I don't see a problem riding to it wearing full gear, but have nice clothes on under it and leave the gear on the bike. Run a comb/brush through your hair after the helmet comes off too.
If you're looking for a position in their finance department you'll be dealing with knuckle draggers to folks making six figures. They are going to want you to look professional. How do the employees at your local bank dress?
Although, these days, anything goes.

Bill

Old November 13th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #108
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Good luck on your interview! I'm glad you're looking at thrift stores for a good pair of pants- I was actually going to make that suggestion. I've found good stuff there before, and it's cheap.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #109
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:

I agree. Putting on an appropriate attire does give us the advantage, which is first impression. The rest is how you do eye contact and how you reply to each inquiries.

Good luck with your interview!

Old November 13th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #110
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It's easy to get wrapped up in questions and trying to answer them, and saying all the right stuff, but don't lose sight of expressing a sincere desire to work there.

Old November 13th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #111
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It's easy to get wrapped up in questions and trying to answer them, and saying all the right stuff, but don't lose sight of expressing a sincere desire to work there.

100% T.J. Be yourself. If you don't answer their questions to their satisfaction and you answer them honestly don't worry about not getting the job. You probably didn't want to work there anyway. If you are always going out of your way to tell people what you think they want to hear you'll be surrounded someday with a bunch of people you have nothing in common with. If you're sincere and express your opinions honestly you will wind-up associating with people that you want to be with - and work for.

Bill

Old November 14th, 2017, 07:18 AM   #112
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Good Luck on the interview today.

Old November 14th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #113
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

How'd it go? Did you win?

Old November 14th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #114
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Firemen?
If a guy walked into an interview in firefighting gear, I'd high five that dude.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2017, 05:31 PM   #115
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
The interview was awful. Some highlights

1. They asked my age (not that I care, but its considered incredibly rude)
2. Two people were interviewing me and others were constantly coming in and interrupting and asking about other stuff and they would end up chatting and I sat there awkwardly
3. They told me their parts department is worthless
4. They were unable to tell me either their sales goals or their previous sales numbers
5. Their service department was dimly lit, not heated, there was trash all over the floor and not a single square inch of clear space on their counters or tool boxes
6. They stood around chatting with other employees about how to lower a cobra bike for some guy's son for a full fifteen minutes while trying to start some other random dirtbikes just for fun because there was nothing to do (and I was just standing there kind of ignored at this point)
7. They offered me the job, sales job, for $10 an hour plus 15% of commission and said that I'd make 70k but were not able to provide me with anyone's actual salary or any actual numbers of actual units sold
8. They openly joked about firing other employees and about the employee they just fired last week
9. They talked about other employees and said they were annoying and not likable but they sold well so they get to stay
10. Their show room was unacceptable, bikes were just stacked on other bikes and there wasnt a single motorcycle that was in full view, all just lined up within 3 inches of other bikes, it didn't even look like a dealership but more like a dingy warehouse
11. They were trying to sell used Japanese dirtbikes for upwards of $4500
12. They told me they're mad at Beta and want to drop Beta (maybe why their TWO Beta bikes were stuffed in a back corner) because of some weird story about how the manager bought a beta for himself and didn't tie it down properly and it fell off the trailer on the highway and got dragged; and then it had issues (duh) and wouldn't start, and their service department cannot figure out why, and Beta is refusing to consider that warranty work and does not want to give them a new wiring harness for free

So I ran away really really really REALLY fast.

Also I wore jeans which was a good call because I felt overdressed even in that.

Old November 14th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #116
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Sounds like hell, I wouldn't want to work there

$10/hr plus 15% commission will not net 70k even if you're fantastic with sales...they're counting on having someone else lined up to replace you by the time you realize that. In general fast turnover seems to be the name of the game for them. Also $4500 for used dirtbikes is obscene

Old November 14th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #117
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
The interview was awful. Some highlights

2. Two people were interviewing me and others were constantly coming in and interrupting and asking about other stuff and they would end up chatting and I sat there awkwardly
I would have thanked them for the invitation and walk away. Let alone to hear bad things about one of their departments, being said by their own employee is a clear indicator that this company will close anytime soon.

Old November 14th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #118
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

In looking around the net, it appears that the commission is paid on gross profit, not selling price, so if you're really getting a 15% commission, and you sold a $10,000 motorcycle that made the dealership $1,000, you'd get $150. Of course the dealership can mess with the gross profit numbers in any creative way they want to.

So if you're going to make $75,000 in a year and you're getting $10/hour, that means about $55,000 comes from commissions. $55,000/$150=367, so you'd have to sell more than one $10,000 motorcycle per day, 7 days/week, 52 weeks/year. I'd find that hard to imagine even if you're the only salesperson there.

Old November 14th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #119
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I am going to be making $0 from them because I'm not going to work there

I'll call them tomorrow and thank them for their offer and say that it will not work out but to hit me up if they need to get rid of any betas at a discount!

Old November 14th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #120
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Good decision, sounds like a terrible place to work. Asking how old you are in an interview can actually be illegal, but since you're obviously under 40 just from looking at you, it might not have been illegal in your particular case. Regardless, they don't sound like good people.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.