ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #41
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

New front wheel cowl installed.
Really helps the front end stand out quite a bit.

Here is the one it came with, all painted and chopped short

The new one has the brake hose clip still mounted and no cracks in the plastic.

You can really see how much they trimmed off in this pic.

ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #42
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

f*in awesome!

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #43
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

bike lookin good ,kc getting lucky findin those oem parts.
DEXSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 01:42 AM   #44
ninja250
You are sleeping

Thanks guys.
I had something for sale on ebay but it didn't sell. Gonna have to wait a short while longer on my brake rotors and pads.
Still waiting on some more plastic too though.
She's slowly getting better. Much nicer now than when I bought it.

To be continued in a short while when I get more parts.
Time to work on the ninja again for a little bit.

I have to remember to adjust the steering stem nut and steering play again though. These old gsxr's always have play in the headset. One night I gotta sit down and figure out how to get rid of it once and for all. I always adjust the steering nut but not tight enough and it loosens up just enough to create play after a few miles again. Next time I'll have to crank it down another half turn more after I "think" it's tight. Steering play is annoying. Then you have to get on the bike and test it to make sure it still turns. If it's too tight the bike gets all hard to turn on you. lol

Old May 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #45
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
If you are looking for an inverted front end I saw one on the Wera forum this morning. Would really make the bike extra groovey.

Old May 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #46
ninja250
You are sleeping

Eh I'm gonna sell her in a year or so for a new one I think. When she's spanking new then I'll go for upgrades. For now - wokring on getting it back to stock. lol
I spent all day today (birthday) adjusting the damn steering stem nut 3 times and testing between each adjustment. Hell of a long day but got out for a small twisty run and a couple wheelies again. (see new avatar)

Here's some pics of the stem nut adjustment. Repeat x3. lol
Still think I could go tighter! Needs more work man. Steering play is my pet peeve.

Old May 29th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #47
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Dam, your doing allot of work to that bike! It's looking real nice
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #48
ninja250
You are sleeping

Just added the icing on the cake.
Nice new Bremzen rotors on the way. Paid full price for the 100% USA made non knockoff ones. Let's hope they're right.

Now I need pads and lines.

Front suspension on this thing is so stiff, pretty sure I can leave it as it is.

I want one of those Galfer floating rear rotors.

Did get the headset play finished up today too. Now it's a tiny bit on the tight side and should seat up after a nice freeway ride.

Old May 30th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #49
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Wow! This is a very cool project. It's great to see fully restored classic sport bikes. Yours is turning out very nice.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #50
RedNinja09
RedNinja09

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Wow, I really enjoyed reading your posts about all the work you are putting into the Suzuki. Very interesting. I totally agree that you shouldnt buy used unless you are a mechanic. You never do know what people have done.

This is my 2nd summer riding my 2009 Ninja. Any tips on what I need to do to maintain it ? I suppose I could get out my owners manual buuut... I am no mechanic. I would have to take it in somewhere for service. But, any tips from a pro would be appreciated.

Red

Old May 31st, 2010, 02:39 AM   #51
ninja250
You are sleeping

Thanks for the kind comments guys.
Really just throwing money at it. That's all there is to it. That and a little elbow grease and the right tools for the jobs.
(I need a headset adjusting wrench badly for my bikes! I'm chewing the bolt up with pliers getting it adjusted properly)
No toolmarks or you got the wrong tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNinja09 View Post
Wow, I really enjoyed reading your posts about all the work you are putting into the Suzuki. Very interesting. I totally agree that you shouldnt buy used unless you are a mechanic. You never do know what people have done.

This is my 2nd summer riding my 2009 Ninja. Any tips on what I need to do to maintain it ? I suppose I could get out my owners manual buuut... I am no mechanic. I would have to take it in somewhere for service. But, any tips from a pro would be appreciated.

Red
If you ride it fast at all, you should probably know the condition of every bolt on the motorcycle off the top of your head, and have it recorded in the service manual when the last time you touched each bolt was and what you did to it. Especially all those on the front end suspension and controls. Hell even if you don't ride fast but just ride at highway speeds I'd recommend it. You guys would be surprised what I have seen. Just cleaning off your bike and making sure all the bolts are tight (to spec) can make a world of a difference in how the bike rides and performs.

Sometimes I just take stuff apart on my bike for the fun of it, or to completely clean a part for no reason and put it back on. That's how I spot loose bolts before they come lose and fall out etc. I pretty much mean every bolt on the motorcycle. Yep, I have touched all of the structural bolts on my bike with a socket and torque wrench at least once, where applicable. I had to redo the steering play on the gsxr 6 times before I finally got it right yesterday and even then I still might be a *hair* too tight and have to do it one more time. lol. This took me like 3-4 days and a lot of patience because I had to test ride it between each adjustment which meant disassembly and reassembly between each test ride.

Inspect your tires for nails or cracks too and frequently check your tire pressure. Make sure you battery cables are connected well and all your lights work and the brake light actuators are adjusted right. Might even add a bAttery tender if you have not already. Measure the stretch in your chain and compare to the service manual. also check for sprocket wear, and lube the whole final drive.
Might even give a quick visual check of your brake rotors and pads. You can usually see when they need to be replaced just by leaning over and looking at the calipers/pads/rotors. Also retorque your caliper mounting bolts front and rear while you are at it. (safety measure)

The best thing you can do is make sure the bike is sound and running like it should by making sure it's not falling apart all the way down to the suspension and engine bolts. Then you know for sure you are the only one to blame when something goes haywire!
start pulling plastic off 'till she's naked and start picking bolts to tighten! When you're done with each one, mark it with a paint marker and move to the next one! when your done, the piece of mind you have about riding your bike that it is assembled correctly will be rewarding and give confidence enough to ride hard and do your own maintenance from then on.

Old May 31st, 2010, 12:05 PM   #52
RedNinja09
RedNinja09

OK, I always do a visual check of everything before I go. Just a once over to make sure everything looks right. But, that's about as far as I go mechanically. I dont know anything. But, I will keep that info in mind....

Old May 31st, 2010, 02:07 PM   #53
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Daammmm--your bike looks waaaaayy different since I last saw it~~!! Nice freakin job dude!

Chris--believe it or not KC is a mastermind mechanic....he took my fairings off in 2 minutes flat~

KC- I've got my hmf slip on exhaust coming...my left signal ....going to get the oil...filter....and so on....can't wait to hit Palomar---I'm off June 8th for summer vacation!!!!!!!!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2010, 09:38 PM   #54
RedNinja09
RedNinja09

I believe he IS the master mechanic. Looking at all that work, he has to know what he is doing. I wish he lived around the corner from me. Damn it...

Old June 1st, 2010, 02:47 AM   #55
ninja250
You are sleeping

I'm no special person. Just played with legos as a kid growing up.

I believe it makes the difference. lol

I also learn exceptionally fast.

I forgot to add, check all your fluids.. and chain tension.
Let me know when you get your goods Adrian. I'll help you out no probs.

You know my number. Hit me up if I go missing from the site. I probably won't be welcome on this site anymore because I grow annoyed with answering to grumpy old guys about everything I say. If I'm so controversial, half of what I say must be worth something.

Old June 1st, 2010, 06:25 PM   #56
adri99an

Don't you know that the grumpy old men on this forum sit around all day waiting for you to post.....it's their livelyhood and if you go--what will they do? Maybe croak sooner???

Old June 1st, 2010, 06:49 PM   #57
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

How is CC a grumpy old man when he suggested where an inverted fork could be found for the gsxr?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 07:10 PM   #58
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Don't you know that the grumpy old men on this forum sit around all day waiting for you to post.....it's their livelyhood and if you go--what will they do? Maybe croak sooner???
1st warning.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM   #59
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

ya know.. I read adri99an's reply like 5 times and I don't get it.....

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2010, 07:17 PM   #60
adri99an

My exhaust should be here in a few days....my left blinker as well....what oil should I pick up at Berts? And how much of it? Also....got back from Azusa Canyon a bit ago and noticed my rears were squeeeking.....someone mention not to go HH in the rears because they seem to lock up...is this true?

Old June 1st, 2010, 07:22 PM   #61
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn99Kawi View Post
ya know.. I read adri99an's reply like 5 times and I don't get it.....
: