ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 5th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

LED Integrated Tailights and Stock Turn Signals

Hey all!

I recently got my Motodynamic integrated taillight and I'm stoked to get it installed. As most integrated taillights do, it serves as both the rear turn signals and the tail light. However, I don't want to get rid of the stock turn signals either. More lighting can't hurt, right? My brother has done the same thing on his R6 with the Motodynamic taillight and LED rear turn signals so that the tailigh and signals flash. Can I use the stock turn signals and the integrated taillight to do something similar? Would I just remove the resistors and splice the taillight into the turn signal feed? Any insight would be appreciated!
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #2
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
Can I use the stock turn signals and the integrated taillight to do something similar? Would I just remove the resistors and splice the taillight into the turn signal feed? Any insight would be appreciated!
Yes you can and Yep, that's exactly what you need to do... I'm assuming you've already installed the resistors/flasher relay you would need for this setup.

Old December 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the reply Hans! I haven't installed anything yet, bone stock. The tailight came with the factory harnesses to clip into the feeds for the turn signals. Those wires each have the resistors built in. (There are two "boxes" on each of those wires before the clip for the factory harness). If that's all I need then I will just cut the leads before the resistors and then splice those lines into the stock turn signal feed.

Old December 5th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

You'll need a new relay to manage the LEDs or they won't work properly. @CThunder-blue can probably hook you up from his site modmy250

Old December 6th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #5
ricomtzjr
Razor's Edge

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Sportster XL1200C

Phych0hans, what's up with your sig? LOL!

Rider, keep us updated in this. I haven't seen this done? DIY?

Old December 9th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #6
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtzjr View Post
Phych0hans, what's up with your sig? LOL!

Rider, keep us updated in this. I haven't seen this done? DIY?
Absolutely! I'd be glad if it's never been done before. It could be a while as I first should decide what is the appropriate fender eliminator. Plus it's getting cold where I live and my garage is not heated

Old December 9th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Momaru's bike is this way, I'm effectively doing the same thing for my front blinkers (mirrors and flushmounts), and eventually plan to do the same to the rear.

Here's some DIYs/supplies for you:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24500 discusses the "Diode mod"; you can also buy the kit as discussed if you prefer. This prevents turning your turn signals into hazard lights.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...asher/782/836/ <- will keep your 'blinks' in sequence even if resistance changes. You may not need it, but if you have weirdness -- e.g. the turn signal turns on and not blinking -- this will fix it.

Otherwise some stranded wire, soldering iron, and heat shrink tubing will be the majority of what you need -- create the proper "Y"s and you're set. If you want to do it with nice connectors then you want these:
2 Position 050-HC Connector
available here:http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...onnectors.html

These are the same connectors the existing lights use, which means you can -- if needed -- connect either set to stock make sure they work, then just swap in the "Y"s to complete the circuits. Makes maintenance a lot nicer.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote