ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Should I buy this Exhaust?

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=129399

This person offered to sell it for $160
His story: Bought this bike used and I guess it came with this exhaust as a deal, therefore he and I have never heard how it sounded on the bike (maybe because it doesnt work for some reason?)
I do not think this person is going to let me just slip it on his bike when I drive up there in a car

Help me figure out what to do!

It is a replica of an Area P, I think it is a used one from this vendor

http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=128346

(obviously if i had the money id snatch up an area p in a second)

Or, buy a slip on two-bros exhaust from ebay for around $300

Or, hold my breath for this raffle to come through for me.

From the first link, what could be my downsides? will it be possible to do damage to my bike? (I am going to go check it out this Sunday)

Any input would help me out mucho, thx.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #2
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

You have a brand new bike ...i'd say save for a new Area P.

But if you want that old one offer him less $$$ there won't be alot of buyers for it . so i bet he will take less.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM   #3
aloh
lolwut

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

you better buy it before i do... (even though i entered in that raffle already!!!) That price is reaaaally good.

EDIT: I just read that it is a replica. REPLICA FTL!!! Do not want...

Old February 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #4
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Kerry, the owner of Area P is on this site - stay away from the knock-offs - that's bad mojo!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #5
kkim

have there ever been dyno charts posted for this no name exhaust? I've not seen any. If not, what are you buying besides some unknown noisemaker that's been beat to crap, from the photos.

Will it harm your bike??? most likely not, but you'll never be sure w/o a company to ask questions of when it comes time to jet... and you will need to rejet after putting an exhaust on. Otherwise what's the use of freeing up the exhaust gasses if you're not setting up the bike to flow more? If you don't have a plan of attack to mod your bike, keep it stock until you learn enough to formulate one based on experience you gain from reading what works and what doesn't from forums such as this.

For a full exhaust, I would recommend either Area P or Yoshimura. Save your money... buy something of value the first time around. There are no free lunches.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #6
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

so if i just buy a slip-on two brothers it will be fine and I wouldn't have to rejett would I? I for sure am going to screw something up while taking off the gas tank and messin with the needle. I planned to just get that knock off (Sorry kerry) and take off the snorkel.

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
kkim

Howard,

The bike already runs lean from the factory. Adding a slip on or removing the snorkel will make it run even more lean and most likely you'll have "drivability" issues with the bike being more tempermental off from a complete stop. Richening up the mixture will help to alleviate this.

I even recommend shimming the needles on a stock bike as some run so lean from the factory, it's very difficult to ride easily.

So, that is why I recommend leaving the bike stock until you have a mod plan in mind. Once you get all the parts installed, then shim or rejet the bike.

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #8
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

yea, all I really want right now is for people to hear me when i'm behind them, or next to them.

I think what I will do is buy this POS exhaust and later buy an area p slip on. Looks to me from the pictures that the headers are QUITE similar (but probably not as good material as the legit kind)

Old February 14th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #9
kkim

Again, my beliefs are that loud pipes do not save lives. It's usually an argument people use to have obnoxiously loud bikes on the street. You will do more harm than good for the image/reputation of sport bike riders by having a vehicle so loud.

A much better way to gain attention is by wearing bright clothing and being sure you're not in another vehicles blind spot. Be aware where you position yourself while in traffic.

Others might not agree, but buying that exhaust to gain attention is not the answer.

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #10
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

I like to do things once and do them right first time, this usually saves both time and money.

In your case, I would suggest waiting till you have them money for a full AreaP system and getting that, you will save money by not getting 2 exhausts. You will NEED to shim/rejet the bike for the exhaust to be ridable(due to the lean nature of the factory settings)

I personally do not like really loud vehicles, when I first got my AP CF long quiet core I was doubting it as it is a lot louder than stock. But it has grown on me and I know I made the right choice. I got mine to make the power nicer and more powerful and also to give it a better sound to me. Not to gain attention, Kelly is right, high visibility gear and ensuring you are in the correct position to be seen will do more for your attention than a loud exhaust
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #11
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Iam all for saving a buck
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #12
dancrosoft
Dan

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 Black

I have an Area P quite core and it rocks.
dancrosoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #13
rallyegolf
project29design

Name: Parker

Motorcycle(s): 08' 250R

I had the opportunity to get a custom made pipe from Area P, and meet the guys who built it when I picked it up. Great company! I have nothing but good things to say about them. Life long customer here. Plus you want to keep the $$$ in the USA these days. Im trying harder and harder to buy USA made products, and support USA business.

Im done.
rallyegolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #14
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

cept ... mine got shipped
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #15
dancrosoft
Dan

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 Black

I agree... I talked with the guy who owns the place for about 30 minutes. He told me all kinds of stuff about what I can do and what I should not do. They will also help you if you get stuck during install. Great company.
dancrosoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #16
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

i am in the group buy for the sportisi exhaustnext month and I have already bought my jet kit (waiting on the exhaust to get here). To be totally honest I am quite scared and intimidated about rejetting. I really want to rejet but "feeling the difference" doesnt sound like an exact science nor would I consider my stint in auto mechanic shop in highschool a background experience making me confident in doing this. My question is how many people out there have rejetted and are in the same category as me?? any confidence boost would be nice right about now.

Should I just pay a shop to dyno and rejett??? thanks
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #17
ShelbyOne
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Don't buy that thing! It's generic and already busted up. Do your bike a favor and just save a little more, get a new one that you know will fit well and sound decent.

Old July 30th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #18
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Look at the dates in this thread. February was a while back. For those of you with jetting questions, ask them in the shimming or jetting threads. YMMV
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #19
ajaygraci
ninjette.org member

Name: Angelo

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r, black, carbon fiber full exhaust...2000 toyota 4runner

i got the replica and i love it.
ajaygraci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #20
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Howard bought a V6R from me. Jetting is not complicated. Do not pay a shop to do it.

Old August 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM   #21
ROADandTRACK
R&T Suspension

Name: K Hertell

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

I'd get the M4, its the best pipe out there for the new gen. IMHO.
ROADandTRACK is offline   Reply With Quote