Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM   #1
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Another round of advice please!

Hey folks!

I'm back again with another round of "is this a good idea" with Verus Cidere. A guy I work with just bought an '04 ninjette with 26k miles on it. Both handlebars are slightly bent, the brake lever is bent, the clutch lever is broken at the tip, the cover over the front sprocket is gone, the left peg is welded to the bracket after being broken off, the chain is covered in rust, the rear fender is completely gone (not chopped, no elim kit, just a hole under the seat exposing the rear turn signal wiring), there are several minor fairing problems, and the battery is dead (he got ripped off 'cause he paid $1600 for it). Good news: tires are in pretty good shape and bike still runs well after a push-start (or so he says, I haven't been able to ride it). He found out he's probably moving with his family to another country and can't take the bike with him, so now he's planning to sell it. He offered it to me for $1000 minus the cost of the battery. I already have available replacements for the levers and the fender (I still have my old ones after replacing them on Fury). I checked on ebay and could get all the other parts for around $200. I've been planning already (as many of you know) to finance another bike to work on my credit rating. I figure that a $1000 loan would be much easier to pay off than a $5000 loan for a bigger bike. I don't need a bigger bike so another 250 would be more than enough. Also, the problems it has give me the chance to start learning the mechanical side of motorcycle ownership fixing them on the crap bike rather than the one I like better.

So my question is this: Is this a good idea and a good price for the bike? Thoughts, suggestions, opinions.... I want them all! Thanks in advance!

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM   #2
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

wait, you want 2 ninja 250's ?
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:33 PM   #3
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

He says he push started it? That doesn't sound right. I though the positive nuetral finder kept the bike from going into 2nd gear or higher. Push starting in 1st gear seems unplausable. I may be wrong though. If it was me I would pass on it. Just sounds like too much of a beater.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Verus Cidere

It's not really that I WANT 2 ninja 250's as much as I just want 2 forms of transportation. I was without my bike for a month after a clutch cable problem while the part came in (I have no idea why it took so long), and for two weeks while my recent exhaust problems were going on. It was very difficult to do anything with my life while I had no transportation, which would be completely solved by having another bike. My family also could use the extra mode of transportation while both bikes are running.

I've push started my bike before (long story). The positive neutral finder requires that the bike is moving to shift into 2nd. If you're pushing the bike in neutral and get it moving at about 3-5 mph, it'll override the positive neutral finder and allow you to shift up into 2nd and drop the clutch for a push start. Thanks for the opinion. He doesn't actually need to sell the bike for a couple months anyway, so I have plenty of time to figure things out.

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I paid 800 for a 03 with 24 yes 24 miles on it . all it needed was an upper fairing. 1000 is a bit to much with that kind of mileage . besides the fact that it is wrecked. try 500
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Verus Cidere

Good to know. Thanks Eric.

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

Do you need a $1000 parts bike?

With the usual needed replacements already broken?

It sounds pretty beat to me. It is more like doing him a favor...

The hard part may be getting a $1000 loan. I don't think most banks want to deal with one that small.

I guess you could add it up....

Tank, if perfect a few hundred maybe
Engine, semi thrashed to be sure $200
Fairings, pegs, levers, bars...uh, never mind...
Tires, a hundred.....
Forks, couple-few hundred?

Yeah, I guess I can't get there...if you want to help out a friend go ahead, but he could be just as nice, and give you the thing....
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 08:53 PM   #8
Verus Cidere

I wouldn't really be using it as a parts bike. I'd be fixing it back into good working condition and using it back and forth with the one I already have. It's more of a device than anything else. I'll be using it to get my credit back up, help my mechanical knowledge a bit (as it is VERY lacking at this point), and have a backup form of transportation in case of a breakdown. Seems to me that it's a pretty bad idea though, from what people have been saying.

Old October 21st, 2009, 09:03 PM   #9
kkim

why not get a $1000 used car?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2009, 09:16 PM   #10
Verus Cidere

Around here, they don't exist unless they are about to break down for good. At least, I haven't ever seen them. I'll look around though. Good idea Kim.

Old October 21st, 2009, 09:19 PM   #11
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Well from the standpoint of using it as a base for improving your knowledge on fixing the 250 I'd say it's a good idea. However, I think the price is bit high for all the damage and milage. I agree with the idea of about $500 for it to help him out.

As for getting a loan to improve your credit. I haven't seen any banks currently allowing anything under a $3000 loan since the market crash. I've been looking at loans myself lately and the lowest any bank or credit union I've looked at is really willing to go is $3000 for some reason.

So my suggestion is this. Get a loan for $3000, offer $500 for the bike. If he's smart he'll take it and be thankful. Then get the parts you said you found for $200. After that you COULD use the rest to get a cheap used car in running order for the days/occasions a bike just won't cut it. That or you could use it to make the payments on the loan. I've known people to do that before to help their credit. They'll get a small loan and just use a majority or all of the money to pay the loan w/o having to take money out of their own pocket. Kinda cheats the system, but it's a broken corrupt system imo anyway.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:58 AM   #12
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I understand you wanting to have a second bike around in the event that your current ninjette needs downtime for maintenance......but this bike sounds more like a project bike than a handy, reliable transport.

And in my limited experience, both with cars and with bikes, I find that learning to do basic and intermediate level repair jobs are much more enjoyable if they're voluntary rather than forced (ie: if both bikes are broken and you need to get to work).

I definitely wouldn't pay $1000 for that bike....especially if you need to take out a loan for it. $500 maybe....but that would depend on how big an impact that $500 hole would make on your finances.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM   #13
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

No way more than $500! I'd probably offer $250 for something that beat, all you are really buying is wheels and engine, everything else has been tweaked in some form or another.

Another thing to consider is that condition of the title. If it is clean than you could at least register it without issues, but if it is salvage or repair then I wouldn't touch it for more than $250.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2009, 07:12 AM   #14
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Michael sounds like this one has been used and abused. The other factors to consider are; space - do you have the space to work on it over the winter?
tools - do you have all the tools you will need to do the rebuild? If not more $$ time - do you really want to put this much time in on something that may never be right. Your time has a value also.
What's your frustration level? If you felt frustrated waiting for a clutch cable and couldn't find a source that could get it to you in less than two week - well standby.

It is your time and your money but I think they could be better spent in a lot of different ways. What about Kelly's idea on a car?

Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:50 AM   #15
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Problem with a car is that anything worth having is going to be $4000+, I went though this 2 years ago.

If you can go $2000 you should be able to get a decent and running motorcycle.

Now if you just plain want to tinker and improve your repair skills, then offer $500 since it is beat.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM   #16
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

I agree with Kelly here, I think a used car sounds like it would fit your needs. Additionally, from what I understand, if you were to buy from a dealer it should be easier to finance a car than get a small loan from a bank.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:20 PM   #17
Verus Cidere

Hmmmm..... I'll have to look into what's available around here. The last time I looked for cars I couldn't find anything worth buying under $4k. I'm seeing now that this bike probably isn't worth getting either. I get the idea as far as "Don't pay that much for that bike" thing, which sucks for him 'cause he paid a lot more than he's asking for it originally. Don, you're right. I probably wouldn't want to spend the time on this bike. It'd probably be a pain. Thanks for the advice guys! Keep it coming!

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #18
bobaab
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I paid $850 for a non-running 01 Ninja 250. All it needed was a carb clean. I would keep looking if I were you.
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 11:48 AM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I'd stay far away from that.

I've been around long enough to know that what looks like a good deal can easily turn into a money pit and STILL not be quite right when you're fed up with throwing money at it.

A useful rule of thumb is to make what you think is a realistic estimate for what it will cost to make it right and double it. Then add a bunch of time, frustration, skinned knuckles, lost weekends and just plain despair.

I've been through enough home repair projects and such to know that this isn't far from the truth.

For a Ninja 250, no way.

On the other hand, if I had a line on something like a Ducati, Bimota, etc., it might be worth turning it into a labor of love.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #20
Verus Cidere

Well, I have another question. Rather than start a new thread, I decided to just add to this one.

There is an '07 R6 for sale close by that has been for sale for a while. He was originally asking $6800, but has dropped the price a few times. He is now asking $5500. It's been dropped on it's left side, but it has sliders, so there's only a small amount of cosmetic damage to it. I haven't actually talked to him so I don't know much more, other than that he has it straightpiped. I'd be getting rid of that ASAP, unless he has the stock can. He has a tail integrator/undertail mod and front flush mount signals. I really love the look of this year of bike, but I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not. What do you guys think, pending further information (like mileage etc.)?

Old November 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #21
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I always shy away from droped bikes. IMHO the price is still a little high. See if he will take $4,000.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #22
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Still a lot high if he doesn't have ALL of the stock exhaust pieces (which they almost never do). Look out for a PowerCommander or some other fuel fooler because they almost universally mess up the stock computer (if it is EFI).

Old November 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM   #23
Verus Cidere

Ok, I have another question. I'm a little confused about why an '04 Kawi 636 with 16000 miles is worth $4500, but an '07 R6 is only $4000. The R6 is in better condition too. Are the 636's really that much better?

*The prices listed above are the ones suggested by forum members to me before now.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM   #24
Verus Cidere

I was serious.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 12:10 AM   #25
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Well if you go by NADA the 636 is being sold at too high a price while the R6 is actually being sold at the bottom of the suggested price for them.

The 636 is a great bike and dominated it's class because of it's slightly bigger, more powerful engine. I would say go with what you feel more comfortable with. And if you like the 636 more, try talking the guy down to a reasonable offer or find a better one at a better price.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:27 AM   #26
Verus Cidere

Thanks Mike.