Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
high altitude power problems

is there any way to help a naturally aspirated engine in high altitude without adding compressed intake?

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #2
kkim

jetting it correctly for the altitude helps.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
don't suppose anyone makes a carb with multiple sized jets (for different altitudes) that can be switched while the bike's running? (oh yeah it's called efi)

Old June 25th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #4
kkim

what's your main sizes now and what altitude differentials do you see? I run from sea level to 3800 ft with my jetting... no EFI on my bike. runs fine.

Old June 25th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #5
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

If you got an original air intake, i would think opening it up or removing the snorkel would help. And then plug it when your going back down from the mountains.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Kkim, not sure on which jets it's on. full exhaust and jet kit were done by my brother while I was away. was jetted for sea-level, but when I get above about 5 to 6k feet i experience the loss on my top end (>10krpm gets a sudden power drop)

If this is purely fuel/air ratio issues (i have no doubt that it is) i'm wondering if its a bad idea to be running the engine in such varying altitudes without some type of adjustment? running rich can overheat your valves fairly easily, right?

guess i'll invest some time in making a convertible snorkel... thanks for the suggestion guinss

Old June 25th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #7
kkim

do you spend the majority of time at sea level or altitude?

Guinss had a great idea with the snorkel... you may want to consider a dei quiet insert... that would help richen the mixture at lower altitude levels.

If you read the owner's manual, they recommend you rejet leaner at higher altitudes.