ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 14th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #1
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

buying a dirt bike

I think i am missing a lot because i have never ridden a dirt bike. I am not comfortable when the rear slips and somehow it seems like a bad idea to keep trying it on asphalt, for obvious reasons, getting seriously hurt and/or smashing the motorcycle.

From what i have seen here many of you guys have at least some dirt experience. Here is my idea:

Buy a crappy old dirt bike, something with about 10-20hp, probably already smashed and in relatively bad shape for a ridiculous amount (200-400$), try it out and try to learn to ride in low grip conditions. Without any jumps or something similar. The bike would not be for road use, and i think i have a way of keeping it really close to a dirt track.

Will it be of any use for road later? (the experience, not the bike) Do you think that as a complete noob i need something in mechanically better condition, or is it all the same? What gear do i need? (i suspect falling in dirt is a bit more gentle then crashing on pavement, but i need some sort of armor?)
How stupid this idea is all in all?
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #2
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Not stupid at all, while some aspects of riding are different (putting your foot out in a turn in the dirt) the varied terrain is a big help, and the throttle/brake/clutch control crosses over as well. don't buy too bad of a bike as you don't want to save up front and have to buy parts constantly. Used Honda 4 strokes (XR or CRF - non mx) are reliable as anything. KDX Kawis (2 stroke) are also good bikes. Either can be found on craigslist in various conditions.

And its FUN!

Gear - helmet, goggles, offroad gloves, can go with high work boots. If you really get into it then riding pants and chest protector, but jeans and a heavy duty long sleeve shirt will work. Some dealers have the shop logo on their off road jerseys and sell them cheap
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Not stupid at all, while some aspects of riding are different (putting your foot out in a turn in the dirt) the varied terrain is a big help, and the throttle/brake/clutch control crosses over as well. don't buy too bad of a bike as you don't want to save up front and have to buy parts constantly. Used Honda 4 strokes (XR or CRF - non mx) are reliable as anything. KDX Kawis (2 stroke) are also good bikes. Either can be found on craigslist in various conditions.

And its FUN!

Gear - helmet, goggles, offroad gloves, can go with high work boots. If you really get into it then riding pants and chest protector, but jeans and a heavy duty long sleeve shirt will work. Some dealers have the shop logo on their off road jerseys and sell them cheap
Is that special helmet and googles a must, or can i do okay with my normal road helmet?

Old October 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
Is that special helmet and googles a must, or can i do okay with my normal road helmet?
You could safely ride with your road helmet, but (and looks aside) the offroad helmet will probably get much dirtier (inside and out) and dust on the shield. And who wants to buy new shield(s) more often.

Plus nicks and scratches from off road stuff and falls.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #5
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Yamaha makes extremely good dirtbikes. I own a YZ125 that can give my 250R a run for its money.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #6
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

This is not a stupid idea. It could help build confidence. It might not be of much benefit. It all depends on you. I like riding on dirt (when I'm not crashing), but I suck at it (meaning I crash a lot) and I haven't since I was a teenager (crashing hurts).

If you have the money go ahead and do it. If you think it will help, then you have the right mindset, and it will.

In the mean time, get as much experience as you can on the ninja. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

Old October 14th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
Yamaha makes extremely good dirtbikes. I own a YZ125 that can give my 250R a run for its money.
I have seen one of those going for about 800$. I suppose the guy would be willing to lower it a bit but its a bit over my budget for the project.

However there are tons of aprilias going for 300-500$. But i simply dont trust 15 year old italian tech. And that many selling (about 5 italians for a single japanese) confirms my suspicions.

Thanks for the feedback. Ill post when i make some progress

tjkamper, I expect crashing. Thats why i asked about the gear

Old October 15th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #8
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
I have been using street helmets riding my XT and the shields are taking hell on even the best camp roads. Factor an off-road style helmet and eye protection into your project budget.