ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:10 AM   #1
codestp202

Bringing my bike home

So, I'm picking up my 2010 ninja 250r with 4200 miles next thursday, I'm getting it used from the dealer so it will be in good condition and all prepped to ride. I have a couple questions:
-What should I do with the bike the weekend that I have it, should I clean it, do an oil change, work on the chain etc.
-I'll be riding it for about 4 days then I'll be going back to college for about 2-3 weeks before coming back from school for the summer when I'll be riding it everyday, is there anything special I should do with the bike during the 3 week -period it is sitting? Should I have a family member start it up every couple days?
-I'll be getting my temps the day before I get the bike then I will be taking the test at the dmv early summer, how do I get the bike insured before I purchase it or do I do that at the store?

I've read around a lot and these don't really fit any of the stuff I've ready.
Thanks for the responses,
Cody

Edit: heres some pics

Last futzed with by codestp202; April 1st, 2012 at 12:08 PM.

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:28 AM   #2
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
1) Just because you're getting it from a dealer doesn't mean it will be in good condition. I bought a brand new bike that was assembled properly.

2) Ask the dealer what maintenance has been performed. Have valves been checked? When was the oil last changed? How long have the tires been on this bike? Etc

3) You can leave the bike for about a month. If you'd like, you can have a family member start it every week.

4) You can have the bike insured before you go there. Call an insurance company for help.

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:31 AM   #3
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
1) Just because you're getting it from a dealer doesn't mean it will be in good condition. I bought a brand new bike that was assembled properly.

2) Ask the dealer what maintenance has been performed. Have valves been checked? When was the oil last changed? How long have the tires been on this bike? Etc

3) You can leave the bike for about a month. If you'd like, you can have a family member start it every week.

4) You can have the bike insured before you go there. Call an insurance company for help.

We know the owners of the store and it was bought there, maintained there, then sold back to the store. They said all the maintenance that was needed to be done has been done, also he said the brakes and tires have more then plenty of life on them. I'm going to ask about the valves along with the oil.

Also, thanks for the response, I'll just have my mom start it up every couple of weeks and let it run for about 5 mins.

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by codestp202 View Post
We know the owners of the store and it was bought there, maintained there, then sold back to the store. They said all the maintenance that was needed to be done has been done, also he said the brakes and tires have more then plenty of life on them. I'm going to ask about the valves along with the oil.
I'll find a thread that's full of questions to ask.

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:35 AM   #5
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

Valves arent even an issue till 16k miles. I go to dealers too just for piece of mind, even buying used.

My opinion..... get on it and ride the hell out of it b4 u go back to school.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:40 AM   #6
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
Valves arent even an issue till 16k miles. I go to dealers too just for piece of mind, even buying used.

My opinion..... get on it and ride the hell out of it b4 u go back to school.
I checked the service schedule and it says check valve clearance at 6k miles so its nbd yet

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Valve wouldn't be a problem yet. I was just giving you an idea of what you should ask...

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM   #8
codestp202

Got it, if you guys have anymore questions for me to ask, post away, I'd love to be able to ask as many as possible. Also, no accidents or drops on this bike. The owners say they mistake it for a new bike.

Old April 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM   #9
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I find that hard to believe. A bike shows wear and tear as soon as you ride it...

Old April 1st, 2012, 11:15 AM   #10
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

nice looking bike btw.

6k miles for valves ?? Didnt know the little bikes were different from the bigger ones.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 11:26 AM   #11
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurt88 View Post
nice looking bike btw.

6k miles for valves ?? Didnt know the little bikes were different from the bigger ones.
I'm just going off the service manual I found

Old April 1st, 2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
I'm just going off the service manual I found
Make sure it's for the right year 250r. The 2007 and earlier had valvechecks at 600 miles, then every 6000 miles. The 2008+ don't have the first check until 7,500 miles, and then every 7,500 afterwards. A spreadsheet with the maintenance schedule is in this sticky thread at the top of the new-gen tech section.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM   #13
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
So, I'm picking up my 2010 ninja 250r with 4200 miles next thursday, I'm getting it used from the dealer so it will be in good condition and all prepped to ride. I have a couple questions:
-What should I do with the bike the weekend that I have it, should I clean it, do an oil change, work on the chain etc.
-I'll be riding it for about 4 days then I'll be going back to college for about 2-3 weeks before coming back from school for the summer when I'll be riding it everyday, is there anything special I should do with the bike during the 3 week -period it is sitting? Should I have a family member start it up every couple days?
-I'll be getting my temps the day before I get the bike then I will be taking the test at the dmv early summer, how do I get the bike insured before I purchase it or do I do that at the store?

I've read around a lot and these don't really fit any of the stuff I've ready.
Thanks for the responses,
Cody
There is no need to start it every so often, leaving it running at idle will do more harm than leaving it sit up for a 3 weeks.

AFAIK It takes about 15 mins of riding to make up the charge it takes to start it, so firing it up every so often and leaving it is pointless.

From the dealer's it should be good to go, they probably did an oil & filter change, brake fluid change, cleaned the air filter & adjusted the chain before it left the shop, ask them what they did.

(if a dealer is selling a dirty bike there's something very wrong there, keep your money in your pocket & walk away :thumbsup2:
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM   #14
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Make sure it's for the right year 250r. The 2007 and earlier had valvechecks at 600 miles, then every 6000 miles. The 2008+ don't have the first check until 7,500 miles, and then every 7,500 afterwards. A spreadsheet with the maintenance schedule is in this sticky thread at the top of the new-gen tech section.
Touche sir

Old April 1st, 2012, 03:28 PM   #15
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
As for insurance, all you'll need is the make, model, (which you already know at this point) and the VIN. Go to an insurance company, and find a policy/price you like for your bike.

You don't have to have a license to insure a vehicle. (I think) BUT! it is definitely cheaper to insure if you've taken the MSF course, so see if you can walk into a class to fill an empty spot so you can get your license asap.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM   #16
codestp202

I'm trying to find an msf asap, they're all full in my area until Aug 6th so I'm going to see if anyone canceled. Plus I want the insurance discount + the knowledge

Old April 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Good idea

show up to every class that you can find, and see if there are any vacancies

Old April 2nd, 2012, 06:27 AM   #18
Jay72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
I find that hard to believe. A bike shows wear and tear as soon as you ride it...
I have a hard time with that comment, most dealers get the slightly used bikes looking damn good on the floor and when you have people in looking for a first bike it is very easy for them to think it is new just looking at it sitting in with the rest of the bike until they look at the odometer. It's not a dirt bike Nick, so very easy for someone to think it's new.
Jay72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM   #19
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay72 View Post
I have a hard time with that comment, most dealers get the slightly used bikes looking damn good on the floor and when you have people in looking for a first bike it is very easy for them to think it is new just looking at it sitting in with the rest of the bike until they look at the odometer. It's not a dirt bike Nick, so very easy for someone to think it's new.
You can easily see swirls on the paint, windscreeen. And you can see wear on the tires.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:50 AM   #20
Jay72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
You can easily see swirls on the paint, windscreeen. And you can see wear on the tires.
No Nick not the average Joe, yes people that are die hards sure they see stuff like that, but not the average person..Not everyone looking for a first bike or new bike for that matter spend every waking minute on the internet, learning all the small details to look for.
Jay72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:52 AM   #21
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

lol don't ask stuff that isn't applicable, they'll think your dumb and try to rip you off

Old April 2nd, 2012, 08:56 AM   #22
codestp202

Quote:
For 3200, that is perfectly fine with me. After a good waxing, along with cleaning and armor-alling everything, the book should look great. A new windscreen can be easily purchased and installed. Spending almost 5k on a new bike is just pointless to me, when I'm out of college and have my job I'll get a brand new bike. This thing is new to me and after some love, it will look just as good as any other ninja. Haha, don't even try to tell me that it doesn't look like its in amazing condition

Edit: Also blink, I'm confused as to what you're talking about.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:05 AM   #23
MustangGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Roy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

That's a really nice looking bike! Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
MustangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:26 AM   #24
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Quote:
For 3200, that is perfectly fine with me. After a good waxing, along with cleaning and armor-alling everything, the book should look great. A new windscreen can be easily purchased and installed. Spending almost 5k on a new bike is just pointless to me, when I'm out of college and have my job I'll get a brand new bike. This thing is new to me and after some love, it will look just as good as any other ninja. Haha, don't even try to tell me that it doesn't look like its in amazing condition

Edit: Also blink, I'm confused as to what you're talking about.
What are you armor-alling?

That is a clean looking bike. Just needs a good wax and a tinted windscreen
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM   #25
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvninja View Post
What are you armor-alling?

That is a clean looking bike. Just needs a good wax and a tinted windscreen
The seat and I'll put the wheel polish stuff on to make it look all pretty and new. Also, thanks bud!

Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM   #26
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Just keep away from armor- all, it Looks nice but on bikes its no good. The seat will be super slippery and you'll be sliding all over the place. DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON TIRES it'll make em slick, last thing you want are slick tires going through a corner. Just remember, your motorcycle ISN'T anything like your car.
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM   #27
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
ID lick that bike

Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:54 PM   #28
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvninja View Post
Just keep away from armor- all, it Looks nice but on bikes its no good. The seat will be super slippery and you'll be sliding all over the place. DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON TIRES it'll make em slick, last thing you want are slick tires going through a corner. Just remember, your motorcycle ISN'T anything like your car.
Very good point, anyone know of anything that will have the same look but without the slipperyness?

Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:56 PM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
a damp sponge to just get the worst of it off?

Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:10 PM   #30
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Used motor oil leaves a good sheen on the tires!

Also I hear black shoe polish will make them shine and hide dry rot ... Seen it in a movie once .

Crisco is good to make the seat shine.

But kidding aside

...... I don't think you need to shine the bike up until you ride it a bit....

Then wash it with regular car wash soap and get it clean as your heart desires then use wax on the body . I rain x the wind screen and head light to make bugs clean off easier (but I dunno if it's good for plastic)

Get some chrome or metal polish for cleaning your exhaust if it's chrome

Also they have silicone weather sealer for header wrap on exhausts . Keeps them from holding all that dirt and moister that hits the bottom of the bike.... I like header wrap so I threw that in there lol

A cover is a good investment too!

Sharp bike ! Congrats ! Good luck with getting into a msf, hopefully they can get you in. Call the day before and see if they have anyone cancel and you can be ready with your permit just in case .
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #31
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post

Also I hear black shoe polish will make them shine and hide dry rot ... Seen it in a movie once .

But kidding aside

Then wash it with regular car wash soap and get it clean as your heart desires then use wax on the body . I rain x the wind screen and head light to make bugs clean off easier (but I dunno if it's good for plastic)

Also they have silicone weather sealer for header wrap on exhausts . Keeps them from holding all that dirt and moister that hits the bottom of the bike.... I like header wrap so I threw that in there lol

Sharp bike ! Congrats ! Good luck with getting into a msf, hopefully they can get you in. Call the day before and see if they have anyone cancel and you can be ready with your permit just in case .
Thank you sir!!

Old April 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM   #32
codestp202

Picked up the ninja today!!! My dad drove it home on the freeway while I followed (Temps, no freeway). Its freezing here in ohio, so I only rode it for about 30 minutes, but everything from my past riding days came back Shifting, turning, breaking were all a breeze, it felt like I never stopped riding! I can't wait to take this thing out more, the power is extremely impressive for such a little bike and I am more then happy that I did not buy a 600cc. The insurance is enough to scare me off. Well guys, thanks for everything. Probably choppin off that annoyingly long fender today. I'll probably post some pictures. Take it easy guys

Old April 5th, 2012, 04:45 PM   #33
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

Congrats on the new ride. She looks sexy. I am picking one up tomorrow. Same bike really......a 2009, same color.

Take it a bit easy 'till you get a good feel for her.

Ride safe, Ride smart, Have fun.

Oh yea.....make sure your oil level is correct and for now that is really it. Ride the hell out of it and then a day or two before you go back to school clean her up, oil/filter change, a quick check that everything is tight(axle nuts, lock-nuts for clutch/throttle adjusters, ect.) and in good working order. Wouldn't worry too much about starting her up. If you will be gone for 3 weeks/month just have someone fire it up after a couple weeks and let it run for a minute or two.

When you get back she will be ready to go. Jump on and ride.

Old April 5th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #34
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Picked up the ninja today!!! My dad drove it home on the freeway while I followed (Temps, no freeway). Its freezing here in ohio, so I only rode it for about 30 minutes, but everything from my past riding days came back Shifting, turning, breaking were all a breeze, it felt like I never stopped riding! I can't wait to take this thing out more, the power is extremely impressive for such a little bike and I am more then happy that I did not buy a 600cc. The insurance is enough to scare me off. Well guys, thanks for everything. Probably choppin off that annoyingly long fender today. I'll probably post some pictures. Take it easy guys
wait. Ohio. Your thing says Kent. Kent Ohio???
Dude I'm in Hudson when I'm not at school. Hit me up for riding. I'll get you all over the Cuyahoga Valley with a few buddies. Like today I just went the whole western half of the Emerald necklace and had a great (but chilly) ride

Old April 5th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #35
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
wait. Ohio. Your thing says Kent. Kent Ohio???
Dude I'm in Hudson when I'm not at school. Hit me up for riding. I'll get you all over the Cuyahoga Valley with a few buddies. Like today I just went the whole western half of the Emerald necklace and had a great (but chilly) ride
Yea dude Kent ohio! I took my temps test in cuyahoga! For sure I'd love to ride with some people

Old April 5th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Awesome! I took mine at the MSF course in Hudson. I'll be going back to school monday night, but I'll be done the first week in May, so ride as much as you can between now and then. We can work on the basics more with you in a month we'll keep in touch on rides and stuff

Old April 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #37
codestp202

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Awesome! I took mine at the MSF course in Hudson. I'll be going back to school monday night, but I'll be done the first week in May, so ride as much as you can between now and then. We can work on the basics more with you in a month we'll keep in touch on rides and stuff
Sounds like a plan!

Old April 6th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #38
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post

But kidding aside

Melting swiss cheese on your handle bars also gives good grip

Old April 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #39
codestp202

hahah YEA?!

Old April 7th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #40
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Kent and Hudson, huh? I'm in between both of you here in Stow. As for the MSF, I'm taking it through State 8 at the end of the month so that's something to consider even though it's pricey. I'm new to riding so smaller classes are a plus if I need help.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote