ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old April 17th, 2021, 08:35 AM   #1
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Phillips or JIS?

Hey guys. Are the criss-crossed screws in the Ninja Phillips or JIS?
Should JIS heads have the dot engraved in one corner to identify them?

I managed to striped both heads of the bolts that hold the front brake reservoir, and I was wondering if I should have used the JIS drivers.

I did a text search in the service manual for JIS, but nothing came up.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2021, 05:16 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
JIS. I bought a set of JIS drivers and they work great, but (ironically) they're marked P1, P2, and P3.

They do fit nice, though.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2021, 06:55 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I use JIS screwdrivers on all screws of that type on any Japanese cycle.

Sometimes you are still going to chew-up a screw if it's corroded. A hand impact driver will get most anything out, but may damage it. I don't think the impact driver bits are JIS, but they do usually fit pretty well.

The small screws holding the lid on an aluminum front brake master come to mind. They are prone to corroding, and usually get chew-up by the time you get them out.

Recently we removed some with a Torx bit tapped into the head, as it was messed-up beyond the point where any type of JIS/Phillips would drive it. Worked pretty well and is safer than drilling.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2021, 04:20 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I use JIS screwdrivers on all my metric bikes, it and of the must have tools if you're going to work on one.

As far as stuck screws, bolts, nuts, etc.. remember to use anti-seize compound, it's not just for spark plugs. Whenever you have dissimilar metals, it's always a good idea.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 2nd, 2021, 09:27 AM   #5
jjmaine
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250, '16 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Hey guys. Are the criss-crossed screws in the Ninja Phillips or JIS?
Should JIS heads have the dot engraved in one corner to identify them?

I managed to striped both heads of the bolts that hold the front brake reservoir, and I was wondering if I should have used the JIS drivers.

I did a text search in the service manual for JIS, but nothing came up.
Hey Topaz, I'm sure you know this but you can usually find some stainless allen head screw replacements for these at the hardware store. I usually end up changing these on most of my bikes because they are so soft and I never use a JIS screwdriver lol.
jjmaine is offline   Reply With Quote