ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 12th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #1
K11
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Khalid

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

turn signal issue, help plz

hi all

so my front left turn signal isnt working, the rear and indicator are solid. the right ones and indicator blinks with the right ones.

I thought, thats easy, volts are plitting equally so ill change ill change the front bulb and everything will be ok. I got two signal bulbs (for future use) from the local dealarship and snapped one in on the front left signal. Sadly that didnt work

after doing some research I heard some say that there is a ground problem (which as a newbie i have no idea what this is), some also say that the female wiring is not connected so i opened the signal up and checked for any loose wires, no no everything is perfect from the signal side. As I know, if the fuse is burnt, neither signals would work, so at this point, is it a technicians job, or is it something that can be done at home.

BTW if you meantion something, please get into details im like a 12 yrs old studying Calculus
K11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

I was just about to make a thread on this. Left front/back turn signals work fine, but my right front doesnt work and my right back signal stays solid.

Hope we can get an easy solution D:
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #3
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

disclaimer: not an electrician or an expert but this is what I think I know. mods please edit if information is incorrect

so the battery has a positive side and a negative side. each one connects to either pole of whatever you want to power. the negative side is often wired to the frame - instead of running a positive wire and a negative wire to whatever you need, you just run one and connect the other side to a ground, it makes it loads easier.

if something is touching the frame and grounding itself at a point before it reaches the bulb, it'll go the path of least resistance instead of lighting up the bulb.

so you can have a perfectly good bulb, perfectly good relay, but a stray wire can cause problems.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #4
K11
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
I was just about to make a thread on this. Left front/back turn signals work fine, but my right front doesnt work and my right back signal stays solid.

Hope we can get an easy solution D:
before getting a bulb just test it on the other side and see if it works, if it doesn't work, then a new bulb should fix your problem. if it worked, stay tuned on this thread maybe we'll find a good way to solve the problem.

Old October 12th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #5
K11
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan3guy View Post
disclaimer: not an electrician or an expert but this is what I think I know. mods please edit if information is incorrect

so the battery has a positive side and a negative side. each one connects to either pole of whatever you want to power. the negative side is often wired to the frame - instead of running a positive wire and a negative wire to whatever you need, you just run one and connect the other side to a ground, it makes it loads easier.

if something is touching the frame and grounding itself at a point before it reaches the bulb, it'll go the path of least resistance instead of lighting up the bulb.

so you can have a perfectly good bulb, perfectly good relay, but a stray wire can cause problems.
I get you makes perfect sense. but the stray wire making me wether to go with this setting or not.

what do the others think about it?

Old October 12th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #6
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

The issue is somewhere in the circuit for your front L (or the front R for @Aggrotech). Either the bulb is bad (you said you eliminated that) or there is a loose connection. Since that one is not working, there is not enough load on the circuit to operate the thermal flasher which is why the rear stays on but does not flash.

As you said, try a known good bulb from the other side and see it that does it. If not, pull the fairing and check all of the connections between the bulb and the fuses. If you have a meter, the job is a lot easier. If you don't, go buy one, even a cheap analog one for like $10 will work. They are pretty easy to operate, way easier than Calculus.

Last futzed with by red5; October 12th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
red5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #7
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Just had similar issue on my 08. I pulled fairings and did a bunch of work, and when putting back together was finished, I checked turn signals. Right side both front and back blinked, but left rear stayed on solid, left front didn't do anything. I guess when I was plugging that connector back in, I must ahve pulled too hard, and one of the terminals inside the turn signal housing came apart, opening the circuit. I plugged that back in, and everything was good.

Check your connections. Swap your bulbs. It's one or the other.