ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 31st, 2017, 06:53 PM   #1
tap_rack_bacon
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ninja 650

rebuild help!

hey all, first post here so hopefully this is the right spot. Long story short, I bought an 09 ninja 250 then moved to CA and my parents were supposed to store it for me but never did. I went back home after 5 years and found my bike sitting on the side of the house, flat tires, rusted chain, chipping paint, cracked seat and almost every other bad thing that can happen to a bike left in the sun, rain and snow. I'm back in CA now and have torn the bike down to the frame. I am a decent home mechanic but this is the first time I've ever gone this in depth with it.

I drained the oil, not much in it and removed the filter. Removed the air filter which was covered in air and the air box was full of caked dirt and a few leafs. Removed the spark plugs, electrodes were rusted and dry. removed the carburetor, took apart and soaked in cleaner to remove the varnish crap inside. the needles, floats and float needles looked to be in great condition so i just cleaned them off and put them back in. I searched the fuel lines but was unable to find the fuel filter like a lot of diagrams showed. maybe its just my model. The only filter i found was in the petcock attached to the tank. When I removed the petcock from the tank I noticed that there was rust around the bottom of the filter and when I tried to clean it off I ripped the filter. I could not find a replacement online so I am assuming that I need to replace the entire petcock or maybe just leave it how it is and install an in-line filter?

there are more problems with it like the master cylinders, fork seals, chain, tires etc. but I want to get the engine running before I start on all that. I have the bike on stands and with it in gear am unable to spin the tires like i have read about but I can crank it with the plugs out with a wrench on the stater. The little window where you view the oil level at is very dirty and grungy looking. How do I clean out the crankcase?

with everything that I have done, is there anything that I have missed that needs to be done before I attempt to start it for the first time? I have pics of the bike, filters, carb etc if anyone cares to see it.
tap_rack_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2017, 07:51 PM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
change the chain/sprockets, then change the oil/filter. And, if you can find a better replacement, change out your parents for better ones
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote